Xanathar Previews: Random Encounters & Character Names

I really thought people would have found this interesting. I noticed Mehen's name.

I really thought people would have found this interesting.

I noticed Mehen's name.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As is now traditional, WotC is involved with the Extra Life charity event. They stream hours of live D&D gaming in an attempt to raise money for the children's hospital charity, and to help encourage that they unlock sneak peaks of upcoming D&D books. So far this year, they have unlocked some material from the upcoming Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

XL2017_DnD_Avatar.jpg

So far, you can check out a downloadable art gallery from Tomb of Annihilation, some random encounters from Xanathar's Guide, and a list of suggested character names from that same book. Next to be unlocked, when they raise $20K, is a list of sample life events for characters, followed by a list of new wizard spells, a subclass preview, and more.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.03.10.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.02.55.png

Attachments

• XL2017_DnD_Avatar.jpg
    XL2017_DnD_Avatar.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 23,870
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.02.55.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.02.55.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 18,708
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.03.10.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.03.10.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 10,919
Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
I like this:

Arctic Encounters (Levels 17-20)

"81-90 1d10 frost giants with 2d4 polar bears"

and

"00 1 ancient white dragon with 1d3 young white dragons."

This could be fun!

SuperTD

Explorer
The ToA art is already accessible, this is just a different format for it. The random encounter tables are fine, but nothing exciting. The only random encounters I have liked are the ones from Out of the Abyss, where you can combine a random group of monsters with a terrain type - that produces interesting situations.

As for the Dragonborn names, it seems like a bit of a waste of space to me. A lot of them, particularly the family names, just seem to be a random set of letters shoved together. There are better name generators online.

However, I think when spells and table of contents comes out, that'll get people talking.

ChapolimX

Explorer
Instead of random encounter tables and character names on XGtE I think it would be way more useful if they included a table of Challenge Rating effects of monster features introduced in VGtM and perhaps other sources.

The Old Crow

Explorer
How to make a female name for any species:Take pretty much anything, slap an "a" on the end. Sooo much lazy.

Still looking forward to Xanathar's, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads