Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana October 2017: Fiendish Options

So a bunch of fiendish subraces but only a point of ABS besides Charisma moved to other skills and some Legacy spells swaps, plus some cult spells and features.

It doesn't do much for my game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This month's Unearthed Arcana (they are on the second Monday of every month now) deals with "fiendish options". "In time for the lengthening shadows of autumn, we present a collection of fiendish options for you to playtest: new subraces for tieflings, ways to customize diabolical cults, and demonic boons that wicked NPCs can receive from the denizens of the Abyss."

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 22.42.45.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 22.42.45.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 22.42.45.png
    784.5 KB · Views: 21,864

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I like it. It's not something huge and actually quite minor, but it is something that expands player options and makes it easier to customise your character.

I'm also going to look at this document, the next time my players will have to face an evil cult.

I like it. It's not something huge and actually quite minor, but it is something that expands player options and makes it easier to customise your character.

I'm also going to look at this document, the next time my players will have to face an evil cult.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of tieflings, so I'm always up for having more customization options for them.

jgsugden

Legend
Demonic boons? Mostly benefits with no downside (Zuggtmoy and Jubilex aside)? Well, that is interesting. I think they need to have a downside that comes into play when the boon is taken away, and perhaps an 'upkeep' requirement (sacrifices, etc...) to keep the booned entity loyal to their master.

The Tieflings are fine, but the more versatility you offer, the less reasons there are to have anything specific in place. Why not make it: You get +2 to Charisma and +1 to an ability of your choice. You gain an appropriate cantrip at 1st level, a 1st level spell you can cast as a 2nd level spell at 3rd level, and a 2nd level spell you can cast as a 3rd level spell at 5th level, but they must be spells appropriate to the Diabolic entity from which you are descended.

flametitan

Explorer
I like the boons. Definitely might have to snag a few for the gnoll warbands plowing across the lands.

I'm still iffy on breaking up tieflings on subrace lines, rather than doing more of what the SCAG did, and providing a mishmash of options.

gyor

Legend
More planar racial options, and DM monster/NPC options of a planar nature?

Eliminster' Guide to the Cosmos, 2018?

I was thinking Nezram World Walker, but the idea is the same basically, a 5e version of the Manuel of the Planes. First Gith and Elderin and now Devil and Demon themed stuff.

ChapolimX

Explorer
Spell Leech.
As a bonus action, this creature chooses one ally it can see within 30 feet of it. The target loses its lowest level spell slot, and this creature gains it.

I know this sort of thing is supposed to make a char to feel like evil but it really makes it feel like a pain in the butt, don't matter if it's a PC or NPC.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases