Sean's Picks of the Week (1009-1013) - Winter is Coming Week!

The sudden snow of Monday inspired this week's theme (even though we got back up to the 70s here in Denver). Throughout the Northern Hemisphere, various signs of the cold and wintery can be found, and the last Pick of the week speaks especially to the imminent arrival of Samhain. Naturally, the cold weather also means a lot more impetus to stay inside... and play games, right?

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE

With it snowing to beat the band `round these parts (Denver, CO), I figured I’d tap into that fandom that folks seem so excited about and declare this Winter is Coming Week at the SPOD. Naturally, we have to start such a week with the very source. Note that Green Ronin is still strongly supporting this line, so be sure to check out the entire catalog of Song of Ice and Fire RPG materials.

A Game of Thrones Edition is the new core rulebook for A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying. Based on George R.R. Martin’s fantasy epic, A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying gives you everything you need to play and run games in the Seven Kingdoms using an easy to learn system specifically designed to evoke the atmosphere of the best-selling novels and hit TV show. This edition includes the entire contents of the original rulebook, revised and updated, plus the full length adventure Peril at King’s Landing and a gorgeous new cover by fan favorite Michael Komarck. You and your fellow players take on the roles of key members of a noble house navigating the perilous waters of Westerosi politics and intrigue. Now is your chance to play the Game of Thrones with Green Ronin’s A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying!

WRATH OF THE JOTUNN

Pathfinder fans get their own journey into frozen wastelands and wintery adventure with the Into the Wintery Gale series of products from AAW Games. This is the core product, a mega-adventure that pits the heroes against the legendary Jotunn of Norse mythology.

The 200 page mega-adventure as seen on Kickstarter!

Other products in the Into the Wintery Gale Saga available here

The arrival of the celestial event known as the Ohjaslange heralds the return of the dreaded Jötunn—skeletal ice giants—and with them a curse of endless winter.

The adventurers have unwittingly stepped into the role of saviors to the Vikmordere people as the curse descends around Serpent Lake. Summoned by an ancient goddess, the adventurers join forces with the tribes of the Vikmordere to uncover lost artifacts necessary to triumph in this classic battle of good versus evil.

A war must be waged against the mighty Jötunn as they march down from their great stronghold on the towering peak of Ighdenholm. If the adventurers are not up to the challenge, then winter may forever reign in the valley.

This adventure is designed to accommodate five to six PCs of levels 9–10 and advance them through 15th level.

This massive mega-adventure book includes:

• 5 full-sized dungeon adventures including top-down and isometric cartography
  • A highly-detailed overworld, including over 30 ready-to-run encounters
  • Hundreds of prepared read-aloud descriptions
  • Optional rules for handling hypothermia and frostbite
  • Detailed Vikmordere culture information, including new gear and equipment
  • Rules for magical runepainting, including new feats and skills. Comes with a runepainter’s record sheet
  • A new spell, Arurún’s Durable Dwelling
  • 10 new magic items including: the hero’s receptacle, the legendary sword Vlfberht, the ancient aegis known as Skjold Rustning, and the Wintyrsyrd
  • New detailed traps and hazards including “The Growling Lake” and deadly “Ice Fog”
  • Dozens of complex puzzles to challenge both players and player characters
  • Nordic-style hauntings, including “Sounding of the Jötunn,” “Brimnar’s Haunt,” and “The Wrathful Witch”
  • A dozen all new monsters, including ice maidens and skeletal ice giant berserkers, as well as villains like the Ice Queen of Meyla Isle and the dreaded Jötunn King, Krumma

HELLFROST

Today, we get savage with our Winter Is Coming Week Pick – the Savage Worlds setting of Hellfrost from Triple Ace Games. There’s an entire line of products for the setting (including the “spinoff” line, Land of Fire), giving GMs and players an enormously rich world to explore and tell epic tales within.

An endless winter is coming…

500 years ago: From the frozen far north, beyond the civilized lands with their rolling hills and forests, arose a mighty army of frost giants, ice devils, Hellfrost dragons, and fearsome orcs, servants all of the ice god Thrym. So began the terrible Blizzard War and the downfall of the mighty empires of man

Today: The races of the southern lands may have won the war, but they suffer its legacy still. For five centuries the winters have grown steadily longer and colder. Huge swathes of the land of Rassilon are permanently covered in ice and snow, and even the temperate lands are not spared the misery of failed harvests, deadly winters, and the dreaded Hellfrost wind.

But winter is not the only danger. A mere 30 years ago, magic, once the civilized races’ most potent weapon, suddenly began to fail. The Siphoning, an effect of unknown origin, has made magic an unpredictable ally.

Welcome to the world of Rassilon. Welcome to the Hellfrost!

THE WINTER HOME

Today’s Winter Is Coming Week Pick is a nod to the many fans of Dungeon Crawl Classics – a callback to the old Hammer horror films in classic fantasy gaming style.

Transylvanian Adventures is a supplement for Goodman Games’ Dungeon Crawl Classics. It is heavily influenced by Gothic Horror and the Hammer Films of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s.

“The Winter Home” is an introductory adventure designed for the 5 pre-generated characters included in the back. The characters in The Winter Home include 5 of the 8 new classes from Transylvanian Adventures: the Valiant, Exotic, Half-Breed, Hunter and Reaver.

The adventure is also suitable for a party of 3rd or 4th level Dungeon Crawl Classics characters.

Running this adventure will require a copy of Goodman Games’ Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game. It is assumed the reader is familiar with DCC’s rules and conventions.

SNOWS OF AN EARLY WINTER

We finish up Winter is Coming Week with this ice-cold tale of Halloween Horror in the eldritch terror-filled world of Call of Cthulhu.

It’s Halloween in an election year. New Yorkers prepare to celebrate with masked revels and parades, while the city’s powerful hold fund raisers and give speeches. Business as usual in the Modern Gomorrah, but when someone or something hunts New York’s streets, eviscerating stray animals, slaying the homeless where they huddle, and stealing women from shelters – it threatens a councilwoman’s reelection bid.

Dangerous occult texts missing from the massive 5th Avenue Public Library, mad politicians hiding in their posh Park Avenue apartments and a new Egyptian exhibit premiering at the Metropolitan Museum this Halloween embroil the investigators in a secret war for access to the halls of power. From New York’s high society to her mean streets, stalked beneath Times Square’s busy lights by Things Man Was Not Meant to Know, the investigators must swiftly unravel a bloody skein of occult clues and confront the power behind the killings – or this Halloween may prove their last.

Snows of an Early Winter is a stand-alone Call of Cthulhu adventure set in modern day New York City. It contains everything a group needs for two or three evenings of investigation and horror, including the scenario, pre-generated characters, and hand outs. It is the latest in the innovative line of officially licensed Call of Cthulhu scenarios and supplements from Rogue Genius Games.

-----
It's not so wintry today here in Denver, but the ground was covered in snow Monday, and I suspect we will see a lot more in the coming days. I hope to get at least one more mountain trip in before the way is shut.

Tonight, the Storm Wardens return to relatively normal life (and we add Ian Thomas Healy, author of the superhero novel series Just Cause to the mix) following the "Archos Imperium" event.

Tomorrow, I am off to Colorado Springs to help folks get some things moved, then run another Freedom Squadron session for the Honor Team.

Sunday? I am thinking the new Blade Runner movie is calling me...

What are you up to?

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases