Fight The Future With The Synthicide Role-Playing Game

Give me a dystopian future peppered with 80s analogies and Easter eggs, like Earnest Cline’s Ready Player One, or give me the dark and beautiful gloom of George Orwell’s, 1984. What can I say? Give me hope, or give me misery. With the Synthicide RPG from Will To Power Games, you get a role-playing game that offers a dystopian future on a cosmic scale that bridges the gap between these two types of desires.

The setting is thousands of years in the future. Humans have reached beyond their terrain origins and colonized the Milky Way, but earth is lost to the ages. Alien biology exists, though nothing sentient has been discovered. Advances in technology have paved the way for interstellar travel. Through the development of human cybernetic enhancement, the pinnacle of innovative achievement was the creation of immortal, human-like robots known as Synthetics.

Inhabitants of the galaxy struggle from fallout of a 1000 year war. A conflict caused by the spread of a powerful mutagen virus, and the collective –galactic overreaction to stop it. As the attempt to neutralize the P-Virus was in part the cause of The Millennial War, the motive (why), faction or persons involved in unleashing it, remain a mystery. Stopping the virus set world upon world. Once thriving metropolises, even those only rumored to have been exposed, were obliterated by their neighbors. Entire cultures were lost and many of the galaxies premier centers of learning and technology (waiting for the player characters to rediscover) among them.

In the wake, human survivors endure on the fringe of the known space. For all that was destroyed, the galaxy remains somewhat bound by Jump Gates, which enable interstellar travel.

Player characters will be navigating their own spaceship via these gates taking the role as Sharpers, independent space mercenaries and smugglers for hire. While life (upon after effects of galactic war) is cheap, survival is not.

Character creation with Synthicide utilizes one of four templates, which players choose a handful of customization (mechanically speaking) options. The strengths and weaknesses of each character are emphasized with Attributes and Aspects, which are further modified by a Genetic Legacy (Pure Human), mutagen infection, or cybernetic enhancement.

Mechanically, Synthicide is defined as a game of three systems: Roleplay Actions, Battle Actions, and Resolve & Cynicism. Roleplay Actions & Battle Actions are pretty standard RPG Stuff, which detail the mechanics for Attribute + (if relevant) Aspect checks, and the sequences of (initiative, turn order) battle. Resolve & Cynicism is a fate or luck system. Characters accumulate a limited amount of Resolve through heroic action, and Resolve points can be spent in order to gain specific situational advantages. Cynicism is accumulated by violence and cruelty. For the most part, Synthicide assumes a heroic type game, but also offers some alternates to this, if your player group is more… Well, into cynicism.

The book features a detailed chart of the Milky Way Galaxy (Jump Gates), and includes deck plans of three different classes of ships. Ship to Ship combat has a unique approach, but if you’re looking for a ruleset fixed on blast rules and blowing enemies to heck, you won’t find it with Synthicide. Ship to ship combat is more like something out of a high seas adventure (grappling hooks & ram techniques) as weapons have been outlawed, by a largest and most powerful faction in the galaxy (and the settings main antagonist) the Thranaxist Church.
Full page black and white illustrations head off each chapter and are nothing short of excellent. The art throughout the rest of book, though admittedly it’s a bit sparse, is equally good. The text is large and easy to read in standard double column format. The PDF includes a hyperlinked Table of Contents. I have the hardcover and the PDF. Both are more than decent as to layout.

Synthicide is an impressive and somewhat gritty RPG. The setting elements include a double handful of planetary locations and brief entries on a good number of galactic factions. The setting is presented in my favorite sort of way, with a good amount of detail, yet enough left to the imagination for GM to make it their own. Adventure sections of this book include more than a dozen seed adventures and a number of useful tables for generating planets and more adventures. The system is simple, with rolls decided by a single d10 and any potential modifiers. If you’re in the market, it’s hard to go wrong picking this one up.

Disclosure: The review includes affiliate links. Synthicide was provided free of cost for the purpose of this review.

​contributed by Jeff Duncan

uriel222

First Post
"Humans have reached beyond their terrain [sic] origins", "Inhabitants of the galaxy struggle from fallout of a 1000 year war", "and the collective –galactic [sic] overreaction to stop it", "many of the galaxies [sic] premier centers", "While life (upon after effects of galactic war) is cheap, survival is not."

Is that actual text from the book? Or part of the review? Either way, the dedication to 80's RPG editorial standards is impressive.

J.L. Duncan

First Post
Ah, thanks for reviewing this! At Gen Con 50, a friend recommended this game. I picked up the quickstart and liked the idea of fewer rolls determining the outcome. It's on my list to buy! :)

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
EN World All-Ages Reviewer
The FirstFable RPG, Monster Slayers,
Mouse Tails, Little Wizards, Hero Kids, Little Heroes, Dagger
, and Pip System

There was a number of things about this game I really liked. Mechanics and character creation are very simple; while the GM sections do a really good job of engaging the GM with a variety of ways to run the game. For being relative unknown indie publisher, this one surprised me.

I haven't played it yet, but it's certainly on the list.

J.L. Duncan

First Post
I believe the reference to "80's editorial standards" was intended to be ironic.

How did I miss this? (apologies)

Just because the author of the post may have intended to be ironic, this doesn't change the fact that the method was disrespectful (my opinion). I'm pretty certain there was a better way to go about it. Remove the sarcasm.

But, ah it's the internet. Opinions differ...

Then, for the sake of being unambiguous, this review would have benefited significantly from any level of editorial review. Sentences end in fragments or parentheticals and grammatical errors abound. We're all human and English isn't everyone's first language so some of this is understandable. However, many of these mistakes should have been detected and corrected as part of the proofreading process, and their presence in the final published work calls into question the credibility of the content. Uriel's post was intended to be generous by attributing these mistakes to the games' authors rather than to the reviewer.

J.L. Duncan

First Post
Beside a couple of noted grammar errors (which are on me... see what I did here?), your complaint is the use of parenthesis and fragmented sentences? lol

I write to a word count... So if I have to sacrifice some precious grammar in order to style in as much detail about the RPG I'm reviewing and give it some space to breath; I'll do it every time. Trust me, if the editor had issue with the style or pose of the writing, he'd mention it. I appreciate you being unambiguous. English is my first language. But, how many EN World account handles do you have? On second thought, who cares...

Good talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

My complaint, such as it is, is that the "style" appears to be "incoherence", and I question the value of such a "style" in a "professionally written" critical work.

I will, however, apologize if the article was not intended to have been read with the expectation that a professional person wrote it. If that is the case, then I can readily see where an appeal to quality was misplaced. Likely a cessation of attention would have been a more appropriate response.

As you say..who cares.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases