Sean's Picks of the Week (1023-1027) - All Hallows' Eve Week!

With Halloween falling on a Tuesday next week, most folks are going all-in with their celebrations and related activities (at least here in the States) this weekend. That's why I decided to call this All Hallows' Eve Week and featured horror-and-spooky gaming products for the theme. I might have gone a bit overboard with the Friday Picks...

SHADOW OF THE DEMON LORD BUNDLE

Naturally, it’s All Hallows’ Eve Week here at the SPOD as we run up to Halloween weekend and the impending celebration of Samhain for many. Figured opening up with this extraordinary holiday bundle of horror from the platinum-selling Shadow of the Demon Lord line was a good start. Seriously, over $30.00 of stuff for $9.95 makes this a great opportunity to see why everyone’s been talking about Robert Schwalb’s magnum opus of dark fantasy horror.

Enter a dark horror-fantasy land steeped in the chaos and madness unleashed by the end times, with whole realms overrun by howling herds of beastmen, warped spirits freed from the Underworld, and unspeakable horrors stirred awaken by the Demon Lord’s imminent arrival.

Now, at nearly 70% off, you can get the core book plus six bestselling supplements.

ALL FLESH MUST BE EATEN HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

Onward through All Hallows’ Eve Week with this well-known zombie survival line from the ever-awesome Eden Studios. This bundle pulls together a ton of stuff – over $50 worth of product for $15, giving you the core, the GM screen, and a lot of adventure material. For all the zombie and horror survival games there are, this is the one that defined the tabletop part of the genre.

Welcome to the world of survival horror! All Flesh Must Be Eaten is a complete roleplaying game whose core book offers eleven different customizable Deadworld settings. In addition, this bundle offer contains the Zombie Master Screen, a character journal, and several bestselling sourcebooks.

At over 70% off, you get the revised core book, along with five supplements.

DOWN DARKER TRAILS

Cthulhian creepiness mixed with Old American West themes? Yes, we’ve seen this, but now we’re seeing it specifically for Call of Cthulhu fans.

Another fine entry for All Hallows’ Eve Week.

Saddle up! Get yourself a posse together and have a look-see what’s over that hill. There’s strange rumors coming in from the whisperin’ desert. You’d best put a round in that iron and make haste!

Down Darker Trails is a new setting for Call of Cthulhu—the American West of the late 19th century. The era of gold rushes, outlaws and lawmen, discovery and expansion.

Rub shoulders with the likes of Wild Bill Hickok, Crazy Horse, and Calamity Jane, while journeying through towns like Deadwood and Dodge City—names and places that have transcended history to become legend. Down these dark trails the taint of the Cthulhu Mythos stirs, ready to lure the unwary and tempt the power hungry with whispered secrets of cosmic knowledge. This is a West of hidden worlds, lost treasures and cities, dubious deals and unsavory alliances. A land filled with beauty, mystery, terror—and wild adventure!

Here you will find the means to create Old West investigators, new occupations, new pulp talents, and new skills. Captured in text and image is the history of the Old West, famous individuals, playing American Indian heroes, notable places and sites, as well as inspiration and guidance on bringing the terrors and mysteries of the Great Old Ones into your games.

Two complete towns, the gold-hungry Pawheton and San Rafael on the Texas border, are fully detailed, providing Keepers with ready-made inhabitants and locales from which to stage campaigns. Four different Lost Worlds are discussed, from the weird subterranean world of K’n-yan to the eerie Shadow Desert.

Packed with advice on creating campaigns and adventures, including two complete introductory-level adventures:

• Scanlon’s Daughter—a murder mystery set between two feuding Texas ranches.
  • Something From Down There—join the rescue of a group of missing miners whose digging stirred things best left forgotten

Down Darker Trails is a setting supplement with scenarios useable with Call of Cthulhu and Pulp Cthulhu.

VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE (20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

Difficult to do an All Hallows’ Eve Week and not pick something from the One True World of Darkness*, and this presentation of the original world of vampires from White Wolf stands head-and-shoulders above so much else. If you want to go to the source and see the really good stuff that created a new gaming phenomenon, look no further.

(*) – YMMV, but that’s how I see things. This iteration was the groundbreaker – edgy and provocative without the nasty, lazy Edgelord crap.

Vampire: The Masquerade exploded into hobby games in 1991 and inspired a generation of fans the likes of which the game industry had never seen before or since. The cultural significance Vampire left on not just the gaming world but on modern vampire-related pop culture can be seen and felt at virtually every turn and in every medium today.

Vampire: The Masquerade – 20th Anniversary Edition brings the entire World of Darkness experience full circle and will serve as the perfect anniversary milestone to celebrate two decades of gaming after dark. This is the original Masquerade in all its glory, and our way of saying thank you and welcome home.

• All thirteen original Clans, Clan variants and bloodlines, with their signature Disciplines
  • Classic rules updated from Vampire‘s Revised Edition
  • Character creation and advancement from Neonate to Methuselah
  • All the Disciplines from level one through nine
  • Updated setting to the modern nights
  • New full color original art by Tim Bradstreet and other classic Masquerade artists

PINNACLE HORROR-THEMED PRODUCTS

A special kind of Pick for the last day of All Hallows’ Eve Week, this time pointing out the entire suite of horror-and-spooky product lines that Pinnacle Entertainment publishes. Any one of these settings would make for a perfect Halloween night of gaming! Also, they’re pretty much all on sale right now for the Halloween celebration!

Of course, everyone knows all about the “Weird West” that is Deadlands. [Pictured and linked above, as well.]

Of course, there’s also the very interesting variant, tooling around the 30s and 40s – Deadlands Noir.

What most folks don’t know is that Pinnacle goes even further back with horror, as their Weird Wars series was some of Shane’s first forays into mixing the terror of myth and legend with heroes ready to fight whatever comes.

And then there’s Rippers, where the heroes use the powers of the monsters… to fight the monsters!

Heading back into modern times, there’s the strange town of Pine Box, Texas, and the even stranger extracurricular activities of the students of East Texas University.

Finally, there’s the strange terror and odd comedic vibes of the world of the Goon.

Make your Halloween gaming savagely fun, and keep the spirit of the season – terrifying as it is – all year long!

-----

This should be an interesting Halloween for me. Tonight, it's catching up on Sherlock with loved ones.

Tomorrow, it's an all-day horror movie/costume party kind of thing with friends, at which I will be cosplaying an older, more grizzled version of Onikara "Nick" Silverwolf (Code Name: WALKER) -

Sunday, the Storm Knights return to Earth to enjoy the success of saving the OmniVerse... only to discover a world invaded by a very bitter and poor loser in the guise of the Iron Tyrant!

Be safe and have a great holiday!

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases