North Texas RPG Convention Refuses To Listen To Harassment Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harassment in gaming is getting more and more attention as gamers are making the stand that they will not support sexual harassment, the harassment of the LGBTQ+ or people of color. In the latest controversy over dealing with harassment at conventions, the North Texas RPG Convention, a self-styled old school gaming convention, has decided to take a stand against those in the tabletop RPG hobby who have been harassed at conventions and other spaces.

After people emailed the convention organizers to voice concern that alleged harassers Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb and former TSR editor and designer Frank Mentzer were being kept on the rolls as special guests at the next North Texas RPG Convention. One of the organizers of the convention made the following public statement in response to these concerns: "So here is my stance on the subject: Everyone is allowed to come to the Con." He then went on to say "I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a [sic] America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming. I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?) Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con."

Here are screen shots of post, for those who don't want to click through the above links.

More conventions, gaming and otherwise, are taking a stance to protect those who attend them by crafting policies against harassment. Gen Con's harassment policy, from the Gen Con website, is simple: "Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management." Other conventions have written policies making it an expellable offense to touch other convention goers without their permission.

Pelgrane Press, publisher of games like Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents has created a harassment policy for officially sanctioned events at conventions or stores. "We want conventions to be safe and inclusive spaces for all gamers. Unfortunately, we know of too many instances where our colleagues, customers and friends have been harassed or made to feel uncomfortable at gaming conventions. We believe strongly that having a policy in place which explicitly censures harassing behaviour, and provides a clear procedure for reporting any such incidents, creates a safer and more welcoming environment for people at the greatest risk of harassment." Their policy goes on to say "As such, Pelgrane Press will not exhibit at, or provide support for, conventions which don’t have a publicly posted and enforced anti-harassment policy." Other publishers are taking this path, in order to make sure that their fans are safe while playing their games at conventions or in stores as well.

There is more to safety at a convention than slips and falls. Making sure that convention attendees are not harassed physically, emotionally or sexually is just as much of a safety issue as any other physical concerns. Not only that, by not making a strong stand against potential harassment sends a message to women, the LGBTQ+ and people of color that their safety is not as important to the convention as that of other people. It makes it hard to state that all people are equally as welcome to a convention, when the convention refuses to make policies that will protect everyone at a convention.

DM Howard

Explorer
Hmm, as much as I am definitely on the side of "this needs to be addressed in the hobby" I don't think the title to this article is correct. It seems like he addressed concerns, he said he will throw someone out if they are doing something that doesn't involve gaming, just because he isn't going to bar certain persons entry doesn't mean he hasn't addressed the concerns.

All that being said, I would have rather seen the response be a little less "on the fence" and say that Sexual Harassment will NOT be tolerated.

Abstruse

Legend
Hmm, as much as I am definitely on the side of "this needs to be addressed in the hobby" I don't think the title to this article is correct. It seems like he addressed concerns, he said he will throw someone out if they are doing something that doesn't involve gaming, just because he isn't going to bar certain persons entry doesn't mean he hasn't addressed the concerns.

All that being said, I would have rather seen the response be a little less "on the fence" and say that Sexual Harassment will NOT be tolerated.

The specific quote is "[FONT=&amp]If I hear of or observe anything non-gaming related, the person's time at the Con is ended until the next Con.[/FONT]" which, honestly, sounds like it could apply either to a person who is harassing someone and to a person reporting harassment. Considering the post starts with putting "sexual harassment" in quotes, that makes me question how genuine it is.

Also, the guy's made further comments on RPGnet that are even more telling. Specifically that his solution to harassment at his convention is that he's an ex-Marine and will be carrying a gun at the convention.

Last edited by a moderator:

The specific quote is "[FONT=&amp]If I hear of or observe anything non-gaming related, the person's time at the Con is ended until the next Con.[/FONT]" which, honestly, sounds like it could apply either to a person who is harassing someone and to a person reporting harassment. Considering the post starts with putting "sexual harassment" in quotes, that makes me question how genuine it is.

Also, the guy's made further comments on RPGnet that are even more telling. Specifically that his solution to harassment at his convention is that he's an ex-Marine and will be carrying a gun at the convention.

Sounds to me like a zero tolerance for harassment or other offensive non gaming related activity to me. This is a small con run, apparently, by two guys who may not have time, or desire, to write voluminous rules or screen all the potential attendees. And I don't see him penalizing victims as well as perpetrators. He said as much. As for the further comments, I'd say its his reply to people complaining about his lack of a stated policy.

Abstruse

Legend
Sounds to me like a zero tolerance for harassment or other offensive non gaming related activity to me. This is a small con run, apparently, by two guys who may not have time, or desire, to write voluminous rules or screen all the potential attendees. And I don't see him penalizing victims as well as perpetrators. He said as much. As for the further comments, I'd say its his reply to people complaining about his lack of a stated policy.
If that's what he means to say, that should be what he said instead of rambling about ISIS and the FBI most wanted and child molesters in Walmart and bragging about now knowing who the president is. He doesn't need to write "voluminous rules" because, well, Chris posted a one-sentence long anti-harassment policy from another convention.

And this isn't "potential attendees", this is invited guests. Like the convention is paying money to bring these people to the convention and advertising their presence there as a selling point.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The idea that inviting potentially problematic people to your convention is a good idea, or in some way is comparable to an “equal access” policy towards attendees is...suspect.

If nothing else, consider it as a liability issue:

If an attendee commits a crime, the Con is unlikely to be found liable for anything.

If, OTOH, an invitee commits a crime that the Con was aware he or she had been accused of before, they very likely WILL be found at least partially to blame. At the very least, their insurance policy will demand they settle with the allegedly aggrieved party if they don’t want to be on the hook for the whole amount.

DM Howard

Explorer
I think the best thing to do is simply vote with your wallet and your feet. I would never be going to this convention anyway, but the best way to encourage social norms (or what SHOULD be social norms) is to use that free market for all its worth! It's just like the whole NFL flag controversy with fans who disagree with not standing for the national anthem not giving the NFL their money or watching their games anymore. Hit 'em where it hurts, in the pocketbook!

I think it is pertinent to quote the post from the RPG.net thread mentioned above, just for the sake of balanced reporting.

NTRPGCon said:
Even though I made the statement on my forms that I would not make any more posts about this, I will take the time to post here. (I don't even know if I have ever posted here, except maybe to promote the Con once or twice in the past, didn't even remember I had an account until I searched all my email history.).

In any case, I will first tell you who I am, always important to know who you are "flaming" in the forums.

I am Douglas W. Rhea, United States Marine Corp vet, prior Police Officer and current IT tech that runs a RPG Con as a Hobby. Father of one son, grand father to 2 boys and 1 girl. I don't vote, never have (except once in 1984 when in the USMC, and our captain passed a yellow card to everyone, advised everyone to mark Republican and pass them back to the front). I couldn't tell you who the VP of the country is, nor who any were in any past years, much less who was President when... I really don't care who runs the country, it's all been down hill since Washington (this is all my opinion of course, and start another hate post based on this if you like).... I don't watch the news, I don't take the paper, I don't even watch sports.... I don't have a social media presence on the web, in the sense that the only thing I have is a small Face Book site where I post pics of the Con, any "Con" Face Book page is hosted/ran by the guy who helps me run the Con (Mike Badolato). I don't use a smart phone thus I don't text, and even as an IT tech I don't get emails unless I am sitting at my desk working... I have a camera for taking pictures, a "car" phone that is in the car and turned on when I call people (not carried on me 24/7). I don't spend time reading crap on the internet, but someone pointed me to this post since it was a "reply" to a post I made on our forums. So I came to read it, and it's good to see people discussing things good or bad since everyone has opinions, better than going to fisticuffs.

The reason for the info/history on myself is so you know something about who I am and maybe some of how I think. Hoping that being a vet lets you know I am not only patriotic about the USA, but I also believe in defending our freedoms and rights. I personally don't think highly of those that disrespect our country or the flag and such, but I served to protect the right for them to be ":):):):):):):)s". Letting you know I was a Police Office is to show you that I served my community and protected the rights of others. Even doing IT work is a way to help others (on a less dangerous scale I might add). I am not a bad person, no mater how you'd like to paint my picture.

I carry a weapon at all times, sometimes more than one. In Texas we have that right, and it means I have been through the full investigation by the FBI on back ground checks etc. (4 times at least since it was done in the USMC, for the PD, for IT work I do for a DoD company, and again to carry a weapon). Should the need arise to protect someone, I'll be one of the first to put myself between the attacker and the victim. It's who I am.

Now to the topic at hand. The poster of this thread isn't someone I know personally, but I did get an email from them, and it was not just a "querries about steps to saftey". I will post the email here for you to read... it comes off very accusatory and as an "attack", along with accusing "Metzer" as harming someone physically. I don't know any of the "facts" that this email is based on, I don't even know if Frank Mentzer and Bill Webb were ever convicted of anything. I just get this email. I have gotten 2 other emails that I can find on the subject, but the other 2 emails were titled (paraphrased) "refund" and the body just said that they could not support a con that had Frank Mentzer and Bill Webb in attendance (not much info to go on there and if they want a refund, that's fine). But I am now veering off "topic" a bit so back to the email I received:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To: MikeBadolato@ntrpgcon.com, DougRhea@ntrpgcon.com
Date: 2017/11/03 18:52
Subject: Metzer and Webb

So you have Metzer and Webb as your special guests at you con. So what
measures do you have in place to protect people attending and other guests
from sexual harassment from these two who have a repeated history of it.
And Metzer having injured a staff member at another con while drunk after
sexually harassing and assaulting someone.

Do you not think it sends the wrong message to have them as speakers after
these widely publicized incidents? Or is sexaual assault, sexual
harassment, and assault not things you care about?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't take kindly to "attack" type emails, so getting such isn't a good way to start a conversation.

So since it was the 3rd email I have received referencing Frank Mentzer and Bill Webb, I opted to post a message in our forums so as not to have to start replying to every one looking to send additional emails on a topic I have no details on, nor have time to go read about (this has already been more time on a site reading a thread than I've spent in years on any site at all). The original poster of this thread and of the email above has also sent me numerous emails and I also took time to reply to as well.

Many have read the forum post, and I will presume many read it one way and many read it another. All things read are usually understood differently by different people, it's the way humans work.

Those that caught the line:
"I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?)"

Should get the point, all the rest is frivolous ... I will not tolerate sexual harassment, nor will I tolerate any other type of infringement of someone's personal space, rights, freedoms or otherwise. read that how you will. (did anyone read that line... it's the point of this entire post here on this forum.... everything else above and below is frivolous, but you guys like drama)

Any other point I made was this... all of you, and I mean all of you have something in your past you may not be proud off (includes me) and whether you like it or not, it is part of you. So a felon is a felon even if he's served his time (and one poster said he has no problem with that... so if he served time for molesting a child is it still okay ?) Everyone here goes out into the world to work, shop, eat, play etc and every day you are among people that rape, kill, abuse etc.... you just don't know who, or maybe you do ? So for those that you do know of that are bad people, have you attacked Walmart for allowing them shop there and asked Walmart to ban them from their stores, have you contacted all the hotels to tell them bad people stay at their hotel and they need to keep them out ? No, of course you don't. If someone in your family was accused (or even convicted) of a crime, would you also "abandon" them, or would you still have them around in an attempt to show them you do care even though you don't approve ?

It's good you want to air out a problem. I have no clue about whether sexual harassment is a problem at gaming conventions, but it hasn't and won't be at our convention.

I don't have people fill out some past history form, nor do I do back ground checks on all that attend... I could, I have contacts and resources to do so. And I could have metal detectors, pat downs and the like as well. Sounds like a very safe Con at that point, but it sort of loses it's luster, like flying... I hate flying these days, I'd rather drive if it's 8-12 hours or less, not worth the "safety" at that point.

We have a good size group of current law enforcement attendees at our Con. Police, Border Patrol, DEA, ATF, county Sheriff plus former/retired Police, and a large group of concealed carry attendees.... all meaning we have a number of people in attendance that have had full FBI back ground checks and have spent years protecting people as a way of life.

Probably one of the more safe Cons out there.

But now I am off topic.

You can post all the hate you like, all the twisted interpretations of my post from our forums, or from this post if you like. It won't change anything for our Con.

We accept everyone that is a gamer at the Con, it's a Con for gamers about gaming. We'll even accept you as long as you don't bring the hate along. You'll be safer than most places.

This is all I have to say about the subject, no other post or response from me will occur on this forum about the subject.

Doug Rhea
NTRPGCon.com

P.S. I reserve the right to make edits to this post to correct mistakes in spelling or grammar and/or to clarify statements that people can't comprehend. But nothing will be deleted from this post by me, I have no control of moderators on this forum and no clue as to how they determine what should be edited by them and thus defer to them on that topic.

Abstruse

Legend
I think the best thing to do is simply vote with your wallet and your feet. I would never be going to this convention anyway, but the best way to encourage social norms (or what SHOULD be social norms) is to use that free market for all its worth! It's just like the whole NFL flag controversy with fans who disagree with not standing for the national anthem not giving the NFL their money or watching their games anymore. Hit 'em where it hurts, in the pocketbook!

I think it is pertinent to quote the post from the RPG.net thread mentioned above, just for the sake of balanced reporting.
I'm not sure how posting that crazed rambling makes the reporting more balanced. It reads less like an industry professional running a convention and representing that business in a public forum, and more like the ramblings of someone who just read a portion of the Necronomicon. Also, that post includes an email with the person's full name that said person did not approve for public posting.

As far as "voting with your wallets" goes, that's the point of reporting like this. The convention was asked by a potential attendee about two invited guests who have been accused of harassment at previous conventions, and about the convention's harassment policy. The convention organizer responded with...that mess. Those who are making decisions as to whether or not to attend the convention now have the information they need to decide. So...I'm not sure what your complaint is here or why you're equating it with the entirely unrelated football protests...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases