WotC Is Hiring A New D&D Game Designer
  • WotC Is Hiring A New D&D Game Designer

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

The job is based near Seattle, at WotC's main offices. Click here to check it out.

It's interesting that the task of "a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons" is specifically called out in the introduction.
    Comments 83 Comments
      hejtmane -
      Pass I will stick to having to work weird hours getting paged in the middle of the night. Dealing with dumb vendors.
      Remathilis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons
      Interesting...
      Kramodlog -
      I'm surprised they just didn't give it to someone known and trusted in the industry. It is a small industry and that job requires experience.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
      I'm surprised they just didn't give it to someone known and trusted in the industry. It is a small industry and that job requires experience.
      Well, they need to advertise it before somebody known and trusted in the industry can apply for it. I don't think they headhunt.
      Patrick McGill -
      Hopefully this means an expansion of the design team based on the success of this edition rather than someone having put in a two week notice.
      Parmandur -
      Well, they need to advertise it before somebody known and trusted in the industry can apply for it. I don't think they headhunt.
      There are also potential legal issues if the job isn't posted for general application.
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
      Interesting...
      Methinks they doth be trolling with the example, whatever they have in the works.
      Acr0ssTh3P0nd -
      Ooof. All these positions seem to pop up just a bit too early for me. I'd love to work for WotC and I genuinely think I've got the project-based attitude and team-based development experience, but I just got out of uni and into the games industry proper, so I feel like I need another 2-3 years under my belt, at the very least, before I have a shot to get anywhere other than the bottom of the slush pile. Oh, well. Time to work harder!
      Blue -
      Optimistic: Hmm, reversing the trend of the Xmas layoffs? Growing the team is a good thing.
      Cynical: Want to get someone in and up to speed because they are planning on letting go a known problem but would rather have proper hand-off.
      Neutral-ish: Someone is leaving and they want to replace them.
    1. Anthro78 -
      Growing the team is great, but I wish Wizards would focus more on creating new properties instead of just updating old ones. Yes, I know, they have a built in fan base and all, but still, the only way for 5th edition to remain viable long-term is to grow that fanbase and a new setting would allow new players to enter at the ground floor. I read the Forgotten Realms stuff and it was fine, but I always felt like I had walked into the movie half-way through.
      jasper -
      oR I bought the company and planning on firing everybody, and hire people from here.
      hahahhaahhahhahhaahha
      oh look coffee.
      Sacrosanct -
      Sounds interesting, but it would be a pay cut with much less job security

I'll stay an indie designer

Although, I'm sure there are lots of really creative people who would love to have this, and are as of yet untapped into the industry. I'm all for giving new blood a chance. After all, Eberron was a fan creation.
      Tiles -
      Doesn't someone already have this job and if so are they leaving? This sounds like someone high up is possibly headed out. I hope I'm wrong.
      Tiles -
      I hope it's a sign that they are doing great and are adding people to add to inhouse production.
      Wiseblood -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthro78 View Post
      Growing the team is great, but I wish Wizards would focus more on creating new properties instead of just updating old ones. Yes, I know, they have a built in fan base and all, but still, the only way for 5th edition to remain viable long-term is to grow that fanbase and a new setting would allow new players to enter at the ground floor. I read the Forgotten Realms stuff and it was fine, but I always felt like I had walked into the movie half-way through.
      This, so much this.
      robus -
      Paging @Imaculata! Wasn't I recently saying you'd be a great addition to the WotC team...?!
    1. CapnZapp -
      I think his surprise is exactly because the position wasn't headhunted behind the scenes.

That said...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app
    1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      There are also potential legal issues if the job isn't posted for general application.
      Those laws mostly just mean a load of paperwork.

If a (private) company wants to hire a certain someone no rule can prevent that, or force them to hire someone else.

1. CapnZapp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthro78 View Post
      Growing the team is great, but I wish Wizards would focus more on creating new properties instead of just updating old ones.
      In fact, WotC and Hasbro is working hard on the reverse; associating "D&D" with a single kitchen-sinkified Realms of a setting, something amorphous and all-encompassing suitable for movies and action figures.

Sacrosanct -
      Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
      Those laws mostly just mean a load of paperwork.

If a (private) company wants to hire a certain someone no rule can prevent that, or force them to hire someone else.

As someone who has done a ton of hiring in the past, firstly there are no laws that make you have to post a position publicly (maybe government, not sure. But not private or corporate). In fact, many times it's just internal postings and Joe Public never sees it. Jobs are posted to allow all qualified applicants to apply, so to avoid favoritism or discrimination. I think that's what Parmandur was getting at, but there are no laws that say you have to post a job to the general public.

Secondly, there isn't a load of paperwork. Not sure where you get that idea. It's a simple job posting that takes all of 15 minutes to create. You don't have to create paperwork for every applicant. Either way, even if those laws existed, they don't "just mean a load of paperwork". They mean me as a manager can't just automatically give the job to my best friend and not allow someone more qualified to apply for it. Which is a very good thing.
    Comments Leave Comment