Gaming At The Kids Table With Medusa's Guide For Gamer Girls: Gaming With Kids

Here at EN World, I’m looking at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids' gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults' table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? Instead of reviewing an all-ages game this time I’m looking at Medusa’s Guide for Gamer Girls - Gaming with Kids, a collection of essays about gaming with kids, what players gain from role-playing, and what GMs can bring to the gaming table.

Medusa's Guide For Gamer Girls- Gaming With Kids.jpg

To be clear, this book is not a game, instead it is a collection of six essays by some of the best creators in gaming about what this generation of gamers can teach the next. These authors are RPG rockstars who have produced more good games than most gamers will ever have time to play.

• Jodi Black – COO and Managing Editor at Pinnacle Entertainment Group, President Carolina Games Tables, President of Beautiful Brains Books and Games
  • Rachel Ventura – Business Director for Legendary Games, former VP of Sales & Marketing at Frog God Games, board member for RPG Creators Relief Fund, freelancer for AAW Games, Jon Brazer Enterprises, and more
  • BJ Hensley – Founder of Playground Adventures, freelancer for AAW Games, Green Ronin, Kobold Press, and more, Director of Marketing for Lone Wolf Development
  • Monica Marlowe – The 2015 Paizo RPG Superstar, freelancer for Paizo
  • Paris Crenshaw – Former EiC for Wayfinder, freelancer for Paizo, Legendary Games, and more
  • Christina Stiles [Editor and Publisher] – Owner Christina Stiles Presents, freelancer for Paizo, Green Ronin, Kobold Press, and White Wolf
Each of their essays follows a broad structure and reaches some of the same conclusions. Generally, the authors recount their real world experiences with their children or, in Jodi Black’s case, peers, as they introduce them to gaming. In each, they touch on overcoming challenges through learning.

Christina Stiles’ Foreword and Introduction. Christina touches on why she created this book and others in Medusa’s Guide for Gamer Girls line. Her words form the launchpad for the rest of the project.

Gaming with Kids by Bethany Black. At the age of 12, Bethany is a veteran convention GM. In her article, she shares what she wants from a RPG and what she brings to the table as a GM. Her dos and don’ts are a great quick reference to keep the table interested.

10 Reasons Why Kids Should Play Games by Jodi Black. This list is for the adults looking for tools to better prepare their children for life. Jodi includes pertinent games that develop skills ranging from academic to critical thinking to gentle questions of morality. If you’re wondering what positive experiences games can offer children, this list breaks it down.

Gamer Dads with Gamer Girls by Paris Crenshaw (with Tatiana and Natasha Crenshaw). As a male gamer/essayer/father, Paris considers what his daughters take away from the gaming table. He asks for a revelation, but finds out that the revelation is that what they take from the table is the same things he does – an engaging time.

Fun & Facts: Educating with RPGs by BJ Hensley. This is the story that touched me the most because BJ is raising a child with autism and I have a hand in shaping an autistic child as well. What can gaming do for children on the spectrum? BJ discusses how playing roles helps to model behavior and realize the tools that society utilizes. Reading her story gives me hope that imaginative storytelling will help every child grow into their best self.

Raising a Conscientious Gamer Son by Monica Marlowe. As with all of the authors, Monica shares her experiences with raising children in gaming and the positive aspects of gaming as it relates to educating children. She takes it a step further and discusses how the parent role is akin to the GM’s role where you are always on-stage and the decisions that you make as a parent/GM impact your children/players.

Raising Gaming Girls by Rachel Ventura. Rachel gives a great history of how games entered her family and where they’ve taken her and her daughters. She touches on what growth different gaming types (RPG vs board) and systems have foster in her children.

Does Medusa’s Guide for Gamer Girls win the kids' table? Yes. It’s a great series that reinforces those notions that games can be fun and educational through examples.

Would Medusa’s Guide for Gamer Girls work at the adults' table? Yes. These essays discuss how to seamlessly blend games into kid’s lives, how to push them into actively engaging and what can be gained from it. They share gaming tips that apply to all tables regardless of age.

Disclosure: Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program. This program provides advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG.

Last edited:

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

If you're interested in buying this supplement, it can be purchased separately or as a part of the Help Stacy Kick Cancer's A$$ [BUNDLE] from Playground Adventures. This bundle includes over $300 worth of RPG products for just $20 with the proceeds going to help Stacy Dellorfano with her medical expenses!

From the bundle:
"Stacy is a member of the RPG industry, the founder of Contessa, and needs our help to fight cancer and the medical bills that are quickly piling up! No matter who you are, insured or not, cancer is an emotionally, physically, and financially draining experience and we'd like to send Stacy our love, support, and a bit of aid in this time of trial."

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/224967/Help-Stacy-Kick- Cancers-A-BUNDLE

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher and have an all-ages RPG that you'd like to have reviewed, please contact me here.
Interested in reading other EN World reviews of all-ages games? Check out:
The FirstFable RPG, Monster Slayers, Mouse Tails, Little Wizards, Hero Kids, Little Heroes, Dagger, Pip System, and The Basic Hack.

SuddenImpact

Explorer
Very intriguing, I have 3 daughters and 1 has snuck by without getting bit by the gaming bug, but with the help of these essays I should be able to change my GM style to make sure the other 2 don't get away.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases