X Marks the Spot: What's This Magic: The Gathering D&D Adventure?
  • X Marks the Spot: What's This Magic: The Gathering D&D Adventure?


    PAX Unplugged (a US convention) took place this weekend. These photos were taken by Robert Adducci. "A prison escape for an unlikely group of heroes turns into a race for an ancient relic sought by the Legion of Dusk. Can you brave the unknown and capture the treasure before the enemy does? This Dungeons & Dragons adventure is set on the plane of Ixalan from Magic: The Gathering. It uses 4th-level characters provided with the adventure."



    Comments 42 Comments
    1. darjr's Avatar
      darjr -
      Looks like print on demand? I hope they sell it to a wider audience.
    1. Dire Bare's Avatar
      Dire Bare -
      I know some are wary of crossing the streams here, but I would love to see some actual D&D and Magic crossover RPG products. The free D&D adaptation for each recent plane the Magic storyline visits are pretty awesome, but it's just toe-dipping . . . I would love to see some more meaty products.
    1. cbwjm's Avatar
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
      I know some are wary of crossing the streams here, but I would love to see some actual D&D and Magic crossover RPG products. The free D&D adaptation for each recent plane the Magic storyline visits are pretty awesome, but it's just toe-dipping . . . I would love to see some more meaty products.
      Same, as a former player of MtG, I used it for ideas for my DnD games. One time my players took back a mage academy which had been overrun by a mad mages thrull experiments. I also recall an old Wizard article that provided a conversion document for MtG to DnD 2e which was great for ideas.

      The signature of champions.
    1. aco175's Avatar
      aco175 -
      I would like to see a magic system for casters where the 5 types of mana were brought over to 5e. It may be harder to make each class but if all casters could take one or more of the elements and make a mana pool for spells, I think that would be neat.

      I think some of the artifacts/magic items would be more powerful than 5e seems, but would make for some great adventures.
    1. Charlaquin's Avatar
      Charlaquin -
      Well, with cross-media shared universes being all the rage, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if WoTC wanted to say that the various D&D settings are Planes that exist in the Magic multiverse. We’re already getting D&D products set in MtG Planes, might as well go all the way and set the next Magic expansion on Abeir-Toril.
    1. CubicsRube's Avatar
      CubicsRube -
      Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
      I would like to see a magic system for casters where the 5 types of mana were brought over to 5e. It may be harder to make each class but if all casters could take one or more of the elements and make a mana pool for spells, I think that would be neat.

      I think some of the artifacts/magic items would be more powerful than 5e seems, but would make for some great adventures.
      Awesome idea! Wonder how it would work?

      Like what you said, i suppose when youd get your next level in spells you instead choose a color, and this would give you access to higher level spells. For example you could go 2 blue or 1 red 1 blue.

      Thered be a lot of tinkering to get the spell effects right, but it'd be really cool!
    1. aco175's Avatar
      aco175 -
      At each level of caster you get to choose mana of a color. Not sure how much, but it adds to your total to cast spells. If I want to be a fire mage and only take mountain mana I will get more powerful fire spells, like in MtG, but at the cost of not being as versatile. Say I'm 5th level, I may have 10 red mana and 5 colorless. Fireball may be 3red and some colorless since it is a 3rd level spell. If I was more multi-colored caster at 5th level I may have only 5 red and 5 colorless, but also 5 white. I may still be able to get off a fireball, but there wont be much more fire. I do have some healing and protection spells to make up for it though. Kind of blends diving and arcane.
    1. Enevhar Aldarion's Avatar
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Must not be available for public purchase yet, as I cannot find it anywhere on DMsGuild, even though the back cover says to go there to find this and other adventures using the worlds of MtG.
    1. cbwjm's Avatar
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
      At each level of caster you get to choose mana of a color. Not sure how much, but it adds to your total to cast spells. If I want to be a fire mage and only take mountain mana I will get more powerful fire spells, like in MtG, but at the cost of not being as versatile. Say I'm 5th level, I may have 10 red mana and 5 colorless. Fireball may be 3red and some colorless since it is a 3rd level spell. If I was more multi-colored caster at 5th level I may have only 5 red and 5 colorless, but also 5 white. I may still be able to get off a fireball, but there wont be much more fire. I do have some healing and protection spells to make up for it though. Kind of blends diving and arcane.
      To keep it simple and to fit it within D&D, I would start a caster gaining access to a single colour and then have something like invocations that allow the caster to later learn another colour or specialise in the colour(s) they already have. So like a 5th level wizard who has access to blue magic might choose to add red magic to his repertoire or add something like one of the divination, illusion, or enchantment wizard subclass abilities to focus his magic more in blue magic.
    1. Charlaquin's Avatar
      Charlaquin -
      Are we talking about emulating Planeswalkers as a D&D Class?

      I’d say make colors subclasses. You take them at 1st level and they significantly expand the list of spells that count as Planeswalker spells for you (which otherwise only includes spells that would make sense being colorless in MTG). When you reach a level that gives you a new Subclass feature, you can choose to take the next available feature of any Planeswalker Subclass.

      For spellcasting mechanics, have them prepare each spell individually, so if you want to cast fireball twice you have to prepare it twice, classic Vancian style. They prepare exactly 7 spells after finishing a long rest, and can prepare one additional spell after finishing a short rest. They get no spell slots, but have a pool of Mana Points that they can spend to create spell slots, just like Sorcerers can with Sorcery Points. They regain all spent Mana Points after finishing a short rest.
    1. kenmarable's Avatar
      kenmarable -
      Apparently, it's a print exclusive for attendees:
      Quote Originally Posted by Kat Kruger View Post
      The #mtg #dnd Plane Shift: Ixalan adventure I co-wrote with @christulach was given out as a print exclusive at #PAXUnplugged!
      Also, James Wyatt said that Plane Shift: Ixalan is coming in January:
      Quote Originally Posted by James Wyatt‏ View Post
      I normally wouldn’t say anything this early, but I guess it’s probably safe to announce that Plane Shift: Ixalan is coming in January. #mtgxln #dnd #wotcstaff
      However, the promise of "more D&D adventures in Magic's multiverse" at DMs Guild sounds intriguing.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by kenmarable View Post
      Apparently, it's a print exclusive for attendees:


      Also, James Wyatt said that Plane Shift: Ixalan is coming in January:


      However, the promise of "more D&D adventures in Magic's multiverse" at DMs Guild sounds intriguing.
      Yeah, that suggests they actually plan to open up Magic: the Gathering IP to the Guild...feeling like we may see an official Planeshift product, if that's the case.
    1. Dannyalcatraz's Avatar
      Dannyalcatraz -
      Honestly, emulating something like MtG’s in an RPG is much easier in a classless, toolkit-style system like HERO, GURPS or Mutants & Masterminds (and its fantasy sourcebook, Warriors & Warlocks).
    1. Raith5's Avatar
      Raith5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz View Post
      Honestly, emulating something like MtG’s in an RPG is much easier in a classless, toolkit-style system like HERO, GURPS or Mutants & Masterminds (and its fantasy sourcebook, Warriors & Warlocks).
      It could be done with D&D I guess, but yes there is a large gap between the high magic style of MtG and the way they have sold D&D in 5e with a lower magic tone (than 4e anyway) and a focus on the history of D&D IP and mechanics.
    1. cbwjm's Avatar
      cbwjm -
      I think with a little effort setting up 5e: MtG would be quite doable. The hardest part would be assigning all the spells to the colours, not all seem an easy fit. You don't really need to assign colours to creatures except for summon spells. I don't think I'd bother with trying to fit in the hand size or limitation of 4 of the same spells as I don't think that those mechanics aren't worth bringing in. Card mechanics like first strike, trample, etc I would bring in when converting creatures but otherwise it's easy enough to use what already exists in 5e.

      The signature of champions.
    1. Ratskinner's Avatar
      Ratskinner -
      Quote Originally Posted by cbwjm View Post
      To keep it simple and to fit it within D&D, I would start a caster gaining access to a single colour and then have something like invocations that allow the caster to later learn another colour or specialise in the colour(s) they already have. So like a 5th level wizard who has access to blue magic might choose to add red magic to his repertoire or add something like one of the divination, illusion, or enchantment wizard subclass abilities to focus his magic more in blue magic.
      I think some of it depends on how close to Magic you want to rewrite D&D (and how much). I mean Magic casters (and most things honestly) are cards that might have a few functions. Also, the color thing infuses everything, not just casters.


      Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app
    1. cbwjm's Avatar
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ratskinner View Post
      I think some of it depends on how close to Magic you want to rewrite D&D (and how much). I mean Magic casters (and most things honestly) are cards that might have a few functions. Also, the color thing infuses everything, not just casters.


      Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app
      Yeah, the colour wheel does infuse all of it, but when converting to DnD I think a lot of that wouldn't matter. Like, would it really matter if that barbarian is a red creature or that knight is a white creature? If you want to use the whole Protection from Colour or the Intimidate card ability then that might be important but personally, I'd rather keep the spirit of MtG but use what we have in 5e. If getting attacked by a horde of goblins, their shamans will probably be using red magic, elves are likely proficient in green magic, and that human wizard with numerous artefacts is probably proficient in blue magic. I'd even bring in some of the card abilities when doing conversions; creatures with haste might have a bonus on initiative, creatures with Protection from Red might have resistance to fire, etc.

      You can fit the colour scheme in via location, red creatures frequent mountains, blue frequent islands or coastal regions, green live in forests, etc but in most occasions, I really don't think it would matter what colour something is in much the same way that alignment often doesn't matter in play (that is, it might come up sometimes, but in general it is just something written on the character sheet).
    1. robus's Avatar
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by cbwjm View Post
      Yeah, the colour wheel does infuse all of it, but when converting to DnD I think a lot of that wouldn't matter. Like, would it really matter if that barbarian is a red creature or that knight is a white creature? If you want to use the whole Protection from Colour or the Intimidate card ability then that might be important but personally, I'd rather keep the spirit of MtG but use what we have in 5e. If getting attacked by a horde of goblins, their shamans will probably be using red magic, elves are likely proficient in green magic, and that human wizard with numerous artefacts is probably proficient in blue magic. I'd even bring in some of the card abilities when doing conversions; creatures with haste might have a bonus on initiative, creatures with Protection from Red might have resistance to fire, etc.

      You can fit the colour scheme in via location, red creatures frequent mountains, blue frequent islands or coastal regions, green live in forests, etc but in most occasions, I really don't think it would matter what colour something is in much the same way that alignment often doesn't matter in play (that is, it might come up sometimes, but in general it is just something written on the character sheet).
      Surely these can all be captured as Druid variants with new spell lists for each mana type? And you’d get adantage on casting if you’re in your favored terrain and disadvantage if you’re in hostile terrain?

      I’m away from books at the mo, but I’m intrigued by this idea. A good thanksgiving project!
    1. Dannyalcatraz's Avatar
      Dannyalcatraz -
      Yeah, the colour wheel does infuse all of it, but when converting to DnD I think a lot of that wouldn't matter. Like, would it really matter if that barbarian is a red creature or that knight is a white creature? If you want to use the whole Protection from Colour or the Intimidate card ability then that might be important but personally, I'd rather keep the spirit of MtG but use what we have in 5e.
      For me? Yeah, those immunities and other color based effects would matter a lot. Without them, the feel would be different- it would be a lot harder to explain a tiny pixie fending off an attacking red dragon, after all...

      Or how it is that the necromancer and many of his minions are virtually powerless against a paladin...
    1. cbwjm's Avatar
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz View Post
      For me? Yeah, those immunities and other color based effects would matter a lot. Without them, the feel would be different- it would be a lot harder to explain a tiny pixie fending off an attacking red dragon, after all...

      Or how it is that the necromancer and many of his minions are virtually powerless against a paladin...
      Fair enough, add them in. I do think that with the various colours and abilities added in that you can run into some fairly ridiculous situations that you would have to look out for. You could have a white knight and a black knight squaring off and all they wouldn't even be able to taunt the other to hurt their feelings. Some of the abilities in MtG work for the card game but don't make a heck of a lot of sense in an RPG. A tiny pixie I think shouldn't be able to fend off a red dragon, I could see the pixie perhaps having an ability that makes them resistant or immune to their fire breath but immune to the dragons teeth and claws? Unless you gave the dragon abilities like: Breath Weapon (Red), Claws (Colourless) so that while the dragon counts as a red creature, not all of its attacks count as red.

      Definitely each player/group would have a different level of MtG that would need to be brought in, I think I just prefer a slightly modded version of the planeshift documents, they don't even split magic into colours, they just present the worlds as places to play in using the standard DnD framework. I think mainly I want magic split between colours because that gives me a reason to come up with some new subclasses or other mechanics.
    Comments Leave Comment