Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!

Pinnacle Entertainment Group is running a Kickstarter for their upcoming official Flash Gordon roleplaying game. They've kindly sent along an exclusive preview for me to share! The caveat is that they asked me to mention that this is not final text, and things may change. Below you can see three page spreads straight from the book.

45a04ed275a9808caa0f41a557d72b25_original.jpg

Seemingly there is no reason for these extraordinary intergalactical upsets. Only Doctor Hans Zarkhov, formerly at NASA, has provided any explanation.

For those not familiar with Flash Gordon (if such a creature exits), it has been a comic strip, radio series, TV show, and a truly awesome movie. Flash! Aaaaah! He'll save every one of us! The comic strip started way back in the 1930s (around the same time as Buck Rogers) and featured our hero as an Earthman who finds himself embroiled in adventures on strange worlds. His archival was Ming the Merciless, and the strip featured a plethora of rocket ships, ray guns, and all the other accoutrements of space opera. The 1980 movie, with its Queen soundtrack and starring the scenery-chewing likes of Timothy Dalton and Brian Blessed, is a cult classic.

The upcoming RPG is powered by Savage Worlds. It's being Kickstarted and is in its final few days, and features a foreword from none other than Flash Gordon himself, the actor Sam J Jones. It's a full-colour, 192-page rulebook (along with adventures, GM screens, and the like). There's also a pile of miniatures, including Flash, Dale, Dr. Hans Zarkov, Ming the Merciless, and more).

If you're willing to spend a little more, there's an awesome boxed set containing the rulebook, GM screen, combat maps, card decks, counters, and more.

The previews below are not final, but they give you a good sense of what the book looks like. I've seen a copy, and its crammed full of colour comic-strip art.

What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? Open fire! All weapons! Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

Previews - not final text!
Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 16.40.53.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-02 at 16.41.05.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-02 at 16.41.36.png
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Yaztromo

Explorer
A lot of pulp and sci-fi from that times is being successfully turned into RPGs... I gess because they are packed of action and heroic fantasies... :)

Ed Laprade

First Post
"Gordon's alive!" (Actually, that should be "Gordon's alive?", but even BB goes along with the 'misquote'.) Is there going to be a paperback? Can I get a physical copy of The Kingdoms of Mongo? At the moment, the answer seems to be no. (I'll buy PDFs if they are really, really cheap, as they are useless to me at the gaming table, and start hurting my eyes if I try to read them for any length of time.)

I wonder how much licensing that cost them.
It's probably an entire rocketship of Mingols, but still I'm curious.
We'll not be privy to the final details, but unless there is a major movie or TV show in the offing, it's probably not all that expensive. Flash Gordon is quite old, and may well even be in the public domain if it was just based upon the original comic strip. Yet its instantly recognisable, and playable, so it's surprising that no-one else has made a RPG on it before, and it's a clever investment for Pinnacle. Totally suits the Savage Worlds system and tone too.

lxqueen

Explorer
"Gordon's alive!" (Actually, that should be "Gordon's alive?", but even BB goes along with the 'misquote'.) Is there going to be a paperback? Can I get a physical copy of The Kingdoms of Mongo? At the moment, the answer seems to be no. (I'll buy PDFs if they are really, really cheap, as they are useless to me at the gaming table, and start hurting my eyes if I try to read them for any length of time.)

There will be a paperback, stated on the KS:

"The regular, softcover editions of The Savage World of Flash Gordon™ and other accessories won't be offered in the Kickstarter, but will come to YOUR FAVORITE LOCAL GAME STORE instead."

aramis erak

Legend
We'll not be privy to the final details, but unless there is a major movie or TV show in the offing, it's probably not all that expensive. Flash Gordon is quite old, and may well even be in the public domain if it was just based upon the original comic strip. Yet its instantly recognisable, and playable, so it's surprising that no-one else has made a RPG on it before, and it's a clever investment for Pinnacle. Totally suits the Savage Worlds system and tone too.

The trademark is still actively defended in the US, so it's almost certainly licensed.
Results of a search at USTPO

Code:
Serial Number	Reg. Number	Word Mark	Check Status	Live/Dead
1	75977861	2226811	FLASH GORDON	TSDR	DEAD
2	75640449	2727431	FLASH GORDON	TSDR	LIVE
3	75640323	2370405	FLASH GORDON	TSDR	LIVE
4	75531380	2460050	FLASH GORDON	TSDR	LIVE
5	75126382		FLASH GORDON	TSDR	DEAD
6	75067697		FLASH GORDON	TSDR	DEAD
7	74582998		FLASH GORDON	TSDR	DEAD
8	71355572	0320414	FLASH GORDON	TSDR	LIVE

All 4 live ones are registered to Hearst Holdings, including the former King Features Syndicate one.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Code:
Serial Number    Reg. Number    Word Mark    Check Status    Live/Dead
1    75977861    2226811    FLASH GORDON    TSDR    DEAD
2    75640449    2727431    FLASH GORDON    TSDR    LIVE
3    75640323    2370405    FLASH GORDON    TSDR    LIVE
4    75531380    2460050    FLASH GORDON    TSDR    LIVE
5    75126382        FLASH GORDON    TSDR    DEAD
6    75067697        FLASH GORDON    TSDR    DEAD
7    74582998        FLASH GORDON    TSDR    DEAD
8    71355572    0320414    FLASH GORDON    TSDR    LIVE