D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

neobolts

Explorer
It jumped studios from WB to Paramount. I'm not sure what the takeaway is from that, but very little of the original plan for the movie may have survived the leap. It wouldn't surprise me to learn about conflicting visions, competing scripts, and/or hand-wringing over the franchise potential of the brand.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It jumped studios from WB to Paramount. I'm not sure what the takeaway is from that, but very little of the original plan for the movie may have survived the leap.

Good point. Maybe that accounts for the possible change in writer?

Aramalian

Explorer
If Paramount bought Joe's script, I would be super-excited for this... given the 3.5 year lead time, though, I'm not sure they have a script in hand yet. Paramount seems to now hold all the movie rights to the vast majority of Hasbro products, though.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Heh, they are doing a micronauts movie too. My two favorite things from when I was a kid!

I'm sorry, whenever I see "Dungeons & Dragons movie," this always comes to mind:

[video=youtube;APY8OTdTan4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APY8OTdTan4[/video]

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Jumped studios: well, that's interesting. Might mean very little of prior planning survived, time will tell. The word was that WB's screenplay was pretty fun, but we'll see in a few years how this shakes out.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well this seems like a positive move. The timeline is much more believable. And Joe is a true fan (he's had his script ready to go for a while...) I guess he said the right things in the right ears and they dropped everything to go with his (hopefully) much better vision.

And I'm sure he's cast himself in the leading role ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases