Designing RPG Adventures With the Players And Not the GM In Mind, Part Two

One of my favorite Ferengi Rules of Acquisition says, "Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack." In the realm of rpg design, I might modify that to say, "A good adventure idea and an empty sack is worth the sack." In this case, I'm talking about grand, imaginative, thrilling adventure ideas that game masters envision for their players but, for whatever reason, never actually run in a game. A million-dollar vision that fails to become reality isn't worth much at all. This continues the early part of this review.

One of my favorite Ferengi Rules of Acquisition says, "Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack." In the realm of rpg design, I might modify that to say, "A good adventure idea and an empty sack is worth the sack." In this case, I'm talking about grand, imaginative, thrilling adventure ideas that game masters envision for their players but, for whatever reason, never actually run in a game. A million-dollar vision that fails to become reality isn't worth much at all. This continues the early part of this review.

An essay called "Run Your Best Game Tonight" by Harley Stroh got me thinking about the value of ideas in rpg design. Stroh's essay appears in "How To Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck" from Goodman Games. The book pairs essays on design theory with original encounters, a one-two punch that provides some thought-provoking, if uneven, content. Not every encounter will prove useful to all game masters, but most fit easily into virtually any fantasy rpg system, and a few of the encounters work with science-fiction elements and settings. In a previous post on EN World, I took a deep dive into another essay from the collection about how the game master-player divide informs adventure design. For part two of this discussion, I intend to unpack the most valuable points in Stroh's essay.

Stroh's essay draws several lessons from some of his less-than-spectacular attempts at running rpgs. But the most important part arises from his warning to game masters who plan grandiose campaigns in which players engage in a brilliant and climactic encounter – just as soon as they reach 10th level or some other distant milestone. Campaigns fall apart too easily, Stroh argues, for game masters to hold onto their best stuff for some later session that may never materialize.

"If you have a killer idea, use it," Stroh writes. "Life is too short to suffer through games that suck in hopes of the big payoff."

The essay argues that the difficulty of assembling a gaming group that meets regularly for months or years on end too often forces campaigns to come to a premature demise. Saving the big moments for later poses the risk that those moments will never happen.

I nearly pumped my fist in agreement reading that part of Stroh's essay. I'd also add, from my own early experience running games, that planning the big climax of a campaign too far in advance may impose a preconceived structure on the game. Maybe that's ok for some groups or systems, but if players value maximum agency, starting out a campaign with the climax in place may cheapen the experience. So throw caution to the wind, game masters. If you've cooked up some crazy idea that you think will be fun and thrilling for your players, by all means, unleash it at your first opportunity.

Then come up with a better idea for the next adventure that builds on how your players negotiated the previous adventure. Rinse and repeat. I've found following that method preserves spontaneity and flexibility while naturally escalating the stakes. As Stroh's essay indicates, every session is an opportunity for a game master to run his or her best-ever game. Embrace that! Don't put off your best session for a few more months while the story sets up properly. If a good idea and an empty sack is worthless, as the Ferengi would have you believe, a good idea that makes it to the table is worth all the gold-pressed latinum in the galaxy.

​contributed by Fred Love

Banesfinger

Explorer
Good point!
Look at Tomb of Annihilation. One could say the whole adventure reaches a crescendo in the final Tomb. However, to ignore the potential for dinosaur races in Port Nyanzaru, or the prehistoric jungles of Chult, are doing this adventure a disservice.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If you've cooked up some crazy idea that you think will be fun and thrilling for your players, by all means, unleash it at your first opportunity.

Very good point, but I can't help but picture this as the logical conclusion:

GM: You are in a tavern. The serving maid has dropped a flagon off in front of each of you, and you think you see a "adventurers wanted" broadsheet on the wall.

PC1: Do we know each other? I introduce myself. "Lo, brave souls! I am called Crusher. This is my trusty war axe...

GM: There's a loud crash as the roof of the tavern tears away! Above, four dragon heads loom over you, one on each side. In the middle, Gravitar the Lich levitates down, preparing to cast Catastrophic Fireball. Roll initiative.

fredlove

First Post
Very good point, but I can't help but picture this as the logical conclusion:

I would actually jump at a chance to play in a campaign that started out like that! Especially if the alternative is to carouse in the tavern for a couple hours before stumbling onto generic quest giver #7.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The risk, of course, with using all your best ideas right away is that the campaign does keep going for a while; and you either find yourself having jumped the shark too soon thus making everything that follows something of a letdown, or straining to come up with ever-more-implausible situations in vain attempts to top what were once your "best ideas".

If you've got a good idea that makes sense to use now, use it now. If you've got a good idea that doesn't make sense to use now, stow it away for when its time comes.

Right now, for example, I've got some ideas percolating that would suit a low-level group just starting out; but my campaign passed that stage long ago so those ideas are going to have to wait... :)

Arilyn

Hero
The risk, of course, with using all your best ideas right away is that the campaign does keep going for a while; and you either find yourself having jumped the shark too soon thus making everything that follows something of a letdown, or straining to come up with ever-more-implausible situations in vain attempts to top what were once your "best ideas".

If you've got a good idea that makes sense to use now, use it now. If you've got a good idea that doesn't make sense to use now, stow it away for when its time comes.

Right now, for example, I've got some ideas percolating that would suit a low-level group just starting out; but my campaign passed that stage long ago so those ideas are going to have to wait... :)

Yes, I agree. Some awesome ideas should wait. In Babylon 5, for example, the showdown with the Shadows and Vorlons would be ridiculous if it happened in the first few episodes. If your campaign does last, there is nothing sweeter than planting seeds early on which come to fruition much later. Players love this and it makes the GM look pretty impressive. This does not mean railroading, btw, because how the big finish comes about depends on player choices. Yes, sometimes great ideas will get flushed because your campaign ends, but bringing them on too early can be jarring.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I don't own the book being commented on so all of this might already be in there.

I think the other way of looking at this rule is "Its no excuse to run a dull adventure now just because it sets up for a fun adventure later". It shouldn't mean you have to run your cool adventure idea against the Ancient Dragon who threatens the kingdom when the party is at 2nd level. What it means is there is no excuse to make whatever the players are doing at 2nd - 10th level some sort of exp grind just because they will then get to play in the cool 11th level adventure.
This can be a problem with the published campaigns/adventure paths and can have the nonsensical situation where in a world of tough competent NPC adventurers the 1st level PCs get tasked to do the thing that needs to be done to save them all (why doesn't Elminster or one of a hundred other powerful people do it?). Tomb of Annihilation has this issue "Wait so you're saying everyone who has ever died and been raised - all these powerful Wizards, priests, Warriors etc, will soon be destroyed and your solution to that is to hire a bunch of novices to go wander around a jungle to find out what's going on?"
In Paizo Adventure paths the set up is usually great but here is often a part around books 4-5 (sometime sooner) where it is obvious that to deal with the threat/issue set up in book 1 or 2 the players need another 8-10 levels so .... Hi ho, hi ho, Off on a exp side quest we go...
IMO the answer is smaller self contained adventure arcs, with only foreshadowing of the bigger stuff you want to use later. Yes you may never get to use the battle against the lich lord but if the party has got to battle and defeat the goblin king then thwart the assassins guild, then recover the five mighty weapons of the dwarf kings before the campaign petered out they won't mind that they never really figured out what happened to the body of that necromancer they killed in the forest that time or where those new undead that were resistant to silver and radiant damage came from. They will have stories to tell and you will have an adventure already half developped for when it's appropriate.
This is kinda how campaigns use to play when they were crafted from a bunch of modules in the old days IME. Start at Keep on the Borderlands then maybe deal with the Sentinel & The Gauntlet, battle the slave lords, loot the ghost tower of Inverness, fight some hill Giants in their Steading, then some frost Giants, then go loot a hidden trove left by Iigwilv, maybe a lost temple of TharizdunTharizdun, deal with the resurgence of Vecna etc. Each bit was fun in and of itself. Making sure to foreshadow - or seem to foreshadow ; ) made what might have been a series of adventures into a campaign.
"Wait, wasn't the cult of chaos in those humanoid caves to this tentacled God?"
"I thought those dudes with one hand we saw when we found the magic gloves were because of the gloves"
"Didn't we find some old books in the ghost tower about how this artifact of Iigwilvs works?"

but it playing out exp grinds just go get the cool big bad fight at the end is unecessary and should be avoided.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads