Plane Shift: Ixalan is More Magic: the Gathering For Your D&D!

I've been weighing getting the art book. This should help. I love both Innistrad and Zendikar, but Kaladesh left me feeling meh (there wasn't much room for adventure IMHO) and I haven't picked up Amonkhet. Ixalan seems very Chult-esque so would be great for resetting ToA I think.

lkj

Hero
WotC has released another in their series of Magic: the Gathering/Dungeons & Dragons crossovers, with the Plane Shift: Ixalan setting. Click on the image below for the 47-page PDF!

ix.jpg

Four mighty peoples face off in a desperate search for a legendary city of gold, hidden deep in the heart of Ixalan. Will you join the vampires of the Legion of Dusk in their march of conquest? Will you stand with the folk of the Sun Empire—and the dinosaurs that serve them—in defending their lands and heritage? Will you join the cunning merfolk of the River Heralds to trick and misdirect the invaders within the great forests? Or will you sail the Stormwreck Sea with the pirates of the Brazen Coalition, seeking plunder and power?

If The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Ixalan sparked your taste for adventure, you can experience it in these pages. Let author James Wyatt be your guide to the lost cities, dense forests, high seas, and ancient ruins of this world, as you bring Ixalan to life at your Dungeons & Dragons gaming table. New races, new monsters, and tons of roleplaying advice await inside this treasure chest of rules and lore.

The game mechanics in this supplement are usable in your D&D campaign but are not fully tempered by playtests and design iterations. For these reasons, material in this supplement is not legal in D&D Organized Play events.

James Wyatt says he was the Creative Lead on Ixalan so it's a special one for him. He says that world has a great deal of D&D influence, making the conversion easier than usual. It's a pretty big one, going through the various races, etc. But perhaps more interesting to the 'philosophically' inclined, there is an appendix where he discusses the relationship between color mana and D&D magic. Says it's a common lunchtime topic at the office.

Attachments

• ix.jpg
    ix.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 19,668
Last edited by a moderator:

Satyrn

First Post
Here's the link:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-ixalan-2018-01-09

James Wyatt says he was the Creative Lead on Ixalan so it's a special one for him. He says that world has a great deal of D&D influence, making the conversion easier than usual. It's a pretty big one, going through the various races, etc. But perhaps more interesting to the 'philosophically' inclined, there is an appendix where he discusses the relationship between color mana and D&D magic. Says it's a common lunchtime topic at the office.

Enjoy.

AD

I've skimmed through that appendix. It is intriguing. Especially the color alignment bit with its personality traits and ideals. That looks like it would add a strong feel of Magic in D&D.

And I'd be curious to see the D&D spells listed by color, and perhaps some sort of game mechanic to back up specializing, or a focus on one.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've skimmed through that appendix. It is intriguing. Especially the color alignment bit with its personality traits and ideals. That looks like it would add a strong feel of Magic in D&D.

And I'd be curious to see the D&D spells listed by color, and perhaps some sort of game mechanic to back up specializing, or a focus on one.

I started looking at this but then realized that the Druid Circle of the Land works pretty well for Magic style gaming. I think it would need adapting to some kind of "Mana Druid" and spell lists regrouped by color as you say. So instead of there being different kinds of spellcasters there would be Druid - White Mana, Druid - Blue Mana (I guess the different planes could have more creative names than that - but the core of it would be based around the Druid).

3y3g00

First Post
Wow, really looks like Goblins got the short end of the stick. A climb speed and darkvision. AND they lose their +1. Ruff stuff!

Love the flavor of all of this though. Ixalan is my favorite magic setting in quite a while.

hejtmane

Explorer
Wow, really looks like Goblins got the short end of the stick. A climb speed and darkvision. AND they lose their +1. Ruff stuff!

Love the flavor of all of this though. Ixalan is my favorite magic setting in quite a while.

The main focus in Ixalans on there magic side is Dinosaurs and Pirates

On the initial card release it was really ho hum IMO but the Rivals release in ten days has some cool cards coming out and it shows by some of the individual card prices ouch

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Good lord, the artwork for the Ixalan Merfolk is quite possibly the most beautiful of anything I've ever seen from the Magic: the Gathering art department.

Really fantastic art, and a pretty interesting world-concept too.

Remathilis

Legend
I started looking at this but then realized that the Druid Circle of the Land works pretty well for Magic style gaming. I think it would need adapting to some kind of "Mana Druid" and spell lists regrouped by color as you say. So instead of there being different kinds of spellcasters there would be Druid - White Mana, Druid - Blue Mana (I guess the different planes could have more creative names than that - but the core of it would be based around the Druid).
I was thinking...

Cleric: varies by domain. Life is W, Light, War, and Forge RW, Arcana, Knowldge and Trickery UW, Tempest RUW, Death and Graves BW
Druid: G, with some U, R, or W for land druids. Moon is R/G
Paladin. W, maybe GW for ancients and BW for tyranny
Ranger. G with R or W touches
Sorcerers. R, hint of B or U. Divine gets RW, Shadow BR
Wizard. U, with some UR (evocation) or BU (necromancy)
Warlock. B, with infernal BR, Archfey BG, and Celestial BW
Bard. UW

I could see Monks as W as well, with hints of R (elemental) or B (Shadow). Barbarian is Red, Rogue R or U, and Fighters could be anything.

As for races: dwarves, half-orcs and dragonborn are R, Half-elves and Elves G, Halflings W, Gnomes UG, tieflings B. No U races unless we add tritons, I guess.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I was thinking...

Cleric: varies by domain. Life is W, Light, War, and Forge RW, Arcana, Knowldge and Trickery UW, Tempest RUW, Death and Graves BW
Druid: G, with some U, R, or W for land druids. Moon is R/G
Paladin. W, maybe GW for ancients and BW for tyranny
Ranger. G with R or W touches
Sorcerers. R, hint of B or U. Divine gets RW, Shadow BR
Wizard. U, with some UR (evocation) or BU (necromancy)
Warlock. B, with infernal BR, Archfey BG, and Celestial BW
Bard. UW

I could see Monks as W as well, with hints of R (elemental) or B (Shadow). Barbarian is Red, Rogue R or U, and Fighters could be anything.

As for races: dwarves, half-orcs and dragonborn are R, Half-elves and Elves G, Halflings W, Gnomes UG, tieflings B. No U races unless we add tritons, I guess.

That seems pretty close to the way Wyatt has it, so I think you’re on the better path. I guess I’m thinking too literally. :)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases