Plane Shift: Ixalan is More Magic: the Gathering For Your D&D!
  • Plane Shift: Ixalan is More Magic: the Gathering For Your D&D!

WotC has released another in their series of Magic: the Gathering/Dungeons & Dragons crossovers, with the Plane Shift: Ixalan setting. Click on the image below for the 47-page PDF!

Four mighty peoples face off in a desperate search for a legendary city of gold, hidden deep in the heart of Ixalan. Will you join the vampires of the Legion of Dusk in their march of conquest? Will you stand with the folk of the Sun Empire—and the dinosaurs that serve them—in defending their lands and heritage? Will you join the cunning merfolk of the River Heralds to trick and misdirect the invaders within the great forests? Or will you sail the Stormwreck Sea with the pirates of the Brazen Coalition, seeking plunder and power?

If The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Ixalan sparked your taste for adventure, you can experience it in these pages. Let author James Wyatt be your guide to the lost cities, dense forests, high seas, and ancient ruins of this world, as you bring Ixalan to life at your Dungeons & Dragons gaming table. New races, new monsters, and tons of roleplaying advice await inside this treasure chest of rules and lore.

The game mechanics in this supplement are usable in your D&D campaign but are not fully tempered by playtests and design iterations. For these reasons, material in this supplement is not legal in D&D Organized Play events.

James Wyatt says he was the Creative Lead on Ixalan so it's a special one for him. He says that world has a great deal of D&D influence, making the conversion easier than usual. It's a pretty big one, going through the various races, etc. But perhaps more interesting to the 'philosophically' inclined, there is an appendix where he discusses the relationship between color mana and D&D magic. Says it's a common lunchtime topic at the office.
    Comments 33 Comments
      robus -
      I've been weighing getting the art book. This should help. I love both Innistrad and Zendikar, but Kaladesh left me feeling meh (there wasn't much room for adventure IMHO) and I haven't picked up Amonkhet. Ixalan seems very Chult-esque so would be great for resetting ToA I think.
      MechaTarrasque -
      Nice monster section in this one.
      Satyrn -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkj View Post
      Here's the link:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...lan-2018-01-09

James Wyatt says he was the Creative Lead on Ixalan so it's a special one for him. He says that world has a great deal of D&D influence, making the conversion easier than usual. It's a pretty big one, going through the various races, etc. But perhaps more interesting to the 'philosophically' inclined, there is an appendix where he discusses the relationship between color mana and D&D magic. Says it's a common lunchtime topic at the office.

Enjoy.

AD
      I've skimmed through that appendix. It is intriguing. Especially the color alignment bit with its personality traits and ideals. That looks like it would add a strong feel of Magic in D&D.

And I'd be curious to see the D&D spells listed by color, and perhaps some sort of game mechanic to back up specializing, or a focus on one.
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
      I've skimmed through that appendix. It is intriguing. Especially the color alignment bit with its personality traits and ideals. That looks like it would add a strong feel of Magic in D&D.

And I'd be curious to see the D&D spells listed by color, and perhaps some sort of game mechanic to back up specializing, or a focus on one.
      I started looking at this but then realized that the Druid Circle of the Land works pretty well for Magic style gaming. I think it would need adapting to some kind of "Mana Druid" and spell lists regrouped by color as you say. So instead of there being different kinds of spellcasters there would be Druid - White Mana, Druid - Blue Mana (I guess the different planes could have more creative names than that - but the core of it would be based around the Druid).
      3y3g00 -
      Wow, really looks like Goblins got the short end of the stick. A climb speed and darkvision. AND they lose their +1. Ruff stuff!

Love the flavor of all of this though. Ixalan is my favorite magic setting in quite a while.
      hejtmane -
      Quote Originally Posted by 3y3g00 View Post
      Wow, really looks like Goblins got the short end of the stick. A climb speed and darkvision. AND they lose their +1. Ruff stuff!

Love the flavor of all of this though. Ixalan is my favorite magic setting in quite a while.
      The main focus in Ixalans on there magic side is Dinosaurs and Pirates

On the initial card release it was really ho hum IMO but the Rivals release in ten days has some cool cards coming out and it shows by some of the individual card prices ouch
      Bitbrain -
      Good lord, the artwork for the Ixalan Merfolk is quite possibly the most beautiful of anything I've ever seen from the Magic: the Gathering art department.

Really fantastic art, and a pretty interesting world-concept too.
      Remathilis -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      I started looking at this but then realized that the Druid Circle of the Land works pretty well for Magic style gaming. I think it would need adapting to some kind of "Mana Druid" and spell lists regrouped by color as you say. So instead of there being different kinds of spellcasters there would be Druid - White Mana, Druid - Blue Mana (I guess the different planes could have more creative names than that - but the core of it would be based around the Druid).
      I was thinking...

Cleric: varies by domain. Life is W, Light, War, and Forge RW, Arcana, Knowldge and Trickery UW, Tempest RUW, Death and Graves BW
      Druid: G, with some U, R, or W for land druids. Moon is R/G
      Paladin. W, maybe GW for ancients and BW for tyranny
      Ranger. G with R or W touches
      Sorcerers. R, hint of B or U. Divine gets RW, Shadow BR
      Wizard. U, with some UR (evocation) or BU (necromancy)
      Warlock. B, with infernal BR, Archfey BG, and Celestial BW
      Bard. UW

I could see Monks as W as well, with hints of R (elemental) or B (Shadow). Barbarian is Red, Rogue R or U, and Fighters could be anything.

As for races: dwarves, half-orcs and dragonborn are R, Half-elves and Elves G, Halflings W, Gnomes UG, tieflings B. No U races unless we add tritons, I guess.
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
      I was thinking...

Cleric: varies by domain. Life is W, Light, War, and Forge RW, Arcana, Knowldge and Trickery UW, Tempest RUW, Death and Graves BW
      Druid: G, with some U, R, or W for land druids. Moon is R/G
      Paladin. W, maybe GW for ancients and BW for tyranny
      Ranger. G with R or W touches
      Sorcerers. R, hint of B or U. Divine gets RW, Shadow BR
      Wizard. U, with some UR (evocation) or BU (necromancy)
      Warlock. B, with infernal BR, Archfey BG, and Celestial BW
      Bard. UW

I could see Monks as W as well, with hints of R (elemental) or B (Shadow). Barbarian is Red, Rogue R or U, and Fighters could be anything.

As for races: dwarves, half-orcs and dragonborn are R, Half-elves and Elves G, Halflings W, Gnomes UG, tieflings B. No U races unless we add tritons, I guess.
      That seems pretty close to the way Wyatt has it, so I think you’re on the better path. I guess I’m thinking too literally.
      cbwjm -
      I've been playing around with mtg conversions recently. One thing when going through the spells and assigning them a colour is that blue ended up having 2 to 3x more spells than the other colours. Black and green need more spells red and white are a bit better.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by cbwjm View Post
      I've been playing around with mtg conversions recently. One thing when going through the spells and assigning them a colour is that blue ended up having 2 to 3x more spells than the other colours. Black and green need more spells red and white are a bit better.

I was getting a similar feeling as I looked through them yesterday.
      Gardens & Goblins -
      Would have preferred some classes - always nice to see what they come up with. For me, not as good as the others, but very pretty. And a lot of + Charisma races it seems.
      jayoungr -
      Great news, thanks for the link! I had a feeling this was coming up after seeing the free adventure on the DM's Guild:
      http://www.dmsguild.com/product/2286...alan-Adventure
      Guang -
      How many Plane Shifts have been released so far? I've been unable to find a list anywhere.
      cbwjm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Guang View Post
      How many Plane Shifts have been released so far? I've been unable to find a list anywhere.
      5 + 1 adventure. I know that the first 4 are on the DMs guild. Not sure if this one is yet though.

default_entry -
      Zendikar
      Innistrad - Includes conversion tips for "Curse of Strahd"
      Kaladesh
      Amonket
      Ixalan + "X Marks the Spot" an Ixalan - themed adventure
      Guang -
      Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with MtG.....how many more of these could they make? Dozens? Hundreds?
      Marandahir -
      Makes sense to do Ixalan now, since it's so compatible with Tomb of Annihilation.
      Really drives home the cross-platform strategy of WotC here. Ixalan card set release+Ixalan art book+Plane Shift article, and all while we're still in the Tomb of Annihilation season of D&D Adventure League.

Same thing happened with Innistrad and Curse of Strahd.

It's not for every art-book, but it looks like every third magic setting or so as they work through the series of them for the art books and planeshift will cross-pollinate with D&D's current storyline.
      MechaTarrasque -
      Quote Originally Posted by Guang View Post
      Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with MtG.....how many more of these could they make? Dozens? Hundreds?
      I don't know anything about Magic, but this question sparked my curiousity. According to https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ins-2015-07-09, there are ten major worlds (likely to be Planeshift material). My quick impression is: Vryn looks like a good fit if they set an AP in Eberron, Theros is good if they want to revisit the Time of Troubles, Regatha would be good if there was another elemental themed AP, Ravnica would be good if they had Sigil located AP, Lorwyn would be good for a Feywild AP, Dominaria seems like the MtG version of FR (so it could show up anytime), and Alara would be good for an upper planes related AP.
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by MechaTarrasque View Post
      I don't know anything about Magic, but this question sparked my curiousity. According to https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ins-2015-07-09, there are ten major worlds (likely to be Planeshift material). My quick impression is: Vryn looks like a good fit if they set an AP in Eberron, Theros is good if they want to revisit the Time of Troubles, Regatha would be good if there was another elemental themed AP, Ravnica would be good if they had Sigil located AP, Lorwyn would be good for a Feywild AP, Dominaria seems like the MtG version of FR (so it could show up anytime), and Alara would be good for an upper planes related AP.
      A lot of the worlds seem quite ready for adventure (others not so much, or at least not as suitable for D&D style character leveling). I think WotC is currently just keeping up with the new planes expansions. If that ever slows down (and I think it must?) then Wyatt will probably go back and revisit some of the older planes (like he did with Zendikar) to create the art book and plane shift guide.
    Comments Leave Comment