What's Green Ronin Up To In 2018? The Expanse, Lazarus, & More!
  • What's Green Ronin Up To In 2018? The Expanse, Lazarus, & More!


    Green Ronin has posted its plans for the first half of 2018, which include The Expanse RPG, being Kickstarted in a few months, Modern Age in the Spring, along with the World of Lazarus setting, a new edition of Freedom City for Mutants & Masterminds, and more!





    Here's the list for the first half of the year:

    • The Expanse (Kickstarter in a few months, game releasing at Gen Con in August)
    • Modern Age (Spring)
    • The World of Lazarus setting for Modern AGE (Spring)
    • Fantasy Age Companion
    • Faces of Thedas (for Dragon Age)
    • Aldis: City of the Blue Rose (for the Blue Rose RPG)
    • Freedom City (for Mutants & Masterminds; out this week)
    • Rogues Gallery (for Mutants and Masterminds; Spring)
    • Shadowtide (Blue Rose novel)
    • Ork! The Roleplaying Game (new edition)
    • Return to Freeport (6-part adventure for Pathfinder; later spring)

    Later in the year, we can expect to see:
    • Basic Hero's Handbook (for Mutants and Masterminds)
    • Superteam Handbook (for Mutants and Masterminds)
    • A Mutants & Masterminds novel
    • Sentinels of Earth Prime (card game)
    • Lost Citadel (D&D 5E campaign setting)

    Green Ronin also reports that its Song of Ice and Fire license has expired; they can continue selling existing books, but cannot produce new ones. Read more here!

    SaveSave


    SaveSave
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. jerryrice4949's Avatar
      jerryrice4949 -
      I wonder if they have any 5E plans for 2018 outside of Lost Citadel.
    1. RedBoxDwarf's Avatar
      RedBoxDwarf -
      The Kickstarter for The Expanse isn't happening for a few months, and yet the game is going to be released in August?
    1. Egg Embry's Avatar
      Egg Embry -
      Modern Age (Spring) and The World of Lazarus setting for Modern AGE (Spring) for the win! I'm really looking forward to this setting!

      Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
      Interested in reading other EN World reviews of all-ages games? Check out:
      Hero Kids, Pip System, Adventures in Wonderland, and My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria.
      If you're a publisher and have an all-ages RPG that you'd like to have reviewed, please contact me
      here.
    1. Egg Embry's Avatar
      Egg Embry -
      Quote Originally Posted by RedBoxDwarf View Post
      The Kickstarter for The Expanse isn't happening for a few months, and yet the game is going to be released in August?
      I think they're ahead of schedule on it. :-) From Chris Pramas' blog:

      "We announced that we’d licensed James S.A. Corey’s terrific series of scifi novels last year and since then Steve Kenson has been leading the team designing the core rulebook. In a few months we will be Kickstarting The Expanse RPG and the rules will actually be done before we even start the crowdfunding campaign."

      Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
      Interested in reading other EN World reviews of all-ages games? Check out:
      Hero Kids, Pip System, Adventures in Wonderland, and My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria.
      If you're a publisher and have an all-ages RPG that you'd like to have reviewed, please contact me
      here.
    1. JacktheRabbit -
      I will be very interested in the Expanse RPG. Any idea what rules it will be similar to?
    1. darjr's Avatar
      darjr -
      Can’t wait for the expanse rpg. Good one Mr Pramas! And designed by Mr Kenson?
    1. Mallus's Avatar
      Mallus -
      I wonder how similar/different the Expanse rules will be to the heavily-modified d20 Modern Ty Franck used to run his campaign?
    1. Aephix's Avatar
      Aephix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mallus View Post
      I wonder how similar/different the Expanse rules will be to the heavily-modified d20 Modern Ty Franck used to run his campaign?
      It is using a version of the AGE system (used by Dragon Age, Fantasy AGE, and Blue Rose).
    1. Mallus's Avatar
      Mallus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aephix View Post
      It is using a version of the AGE system (used by Dragon Age, Fantasy AGE, and Blue Rose).
      Thanks.

      I'm not familiar with AGE. Is it crunchy? My gut feeling is Expanse as a game would benefit from relatively heavy, "crunch" mechanics with a FATE-like metacurrency system layered over top. I think you need both to emulate all the nods to SF "realism", the technical Tom Clancy-in-space stuff, while still allowing for the over-the-top heroics found all over the series.
    1. Aephix's Avatar
      Aephix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mallus View Post
      Thanks.

      I'm not familiar with AGE. Is it crunchy? My gut feeling is Expanse as a game would benefit from relatively heavy, "crunch" mechanics with a FATE-like metacurrency system layered over top. I think you need both to emulate all the nods to SF "realism", the technical Tom Clancy-in-space stuff, while still allowing for the over-the-top heroics found all over the series.
      It is uncrunchy. It's not quite as "lite" as Fate or Savage Worlds, but it is in the neighborhood. There is a pair of episodes of Tabletop where Chris Pramas runs the players thru a session of Dragon Age if you want to get an idea (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-61i3R5y9Y for the first one).
    1. mach1.9pants's Avatar
      mach1.9pants -
      Sad to see A Song of Ice and Fire end. Even with all its troubles it was an interesting game. I wonder if someone else will pick up the licence? Cubicle 7 in 5e rules would be nice

      I'm in The Expanse for sure, great books

      And I wish they'd do the Freeport series in 5e as well
    1. MarkB's Avatar
      MarkB -
      I'll definitely be interested in The Expanse. It's the sort of crunchy SF setting that I really like - I came very close to going with it for the next campaign I'm planning on running, and will probably adapt elements of it in any case.
    1. ChapolimX's Avatar
      ChapolimX -
      I would like to know their thoughts about Freeport 5e.
    1. TrippyHippy's Avatar
      TrippyHippy -
      The Song of Ice and Fire is curious, considering the massive success of Game of Thrones. It just never seemed to take off in any meaningful way, unless I was just missing it.
    1. Superchunk77's Avatar
      Superchunk77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
      The Song of Ice and Fire is curious, considering the massive success of Game of Thrones. It just never seemed to take off in any meaningful way, unless I was just missing it.
      It didn't really take off, no. If you look at their forums you'll find barely any activity there, for either the GoT forums (maybe one or two online games going) nor the Chronicle System forums (virtually dead).

      All fan inquiries into what's next for the Chronicle system are generally replied with cryptic "we've got a book X coming" and then silence for over a year.

      Looks like it's going the way of True20.
    1. BytomMan's Avatar
      BytomMan -
      I would take these release dates with a grain of salt. There's been a trend at least the last few years with them promising products for the year and then those products don't appear for a few more years. Dragon Age: Faces of Thedas has popped up in their yearly message starting with 2015; Fantasy AGE Companion in 2016; Titansgrave--The World of Valkana and a second adventure in 2016; Freedom City in 2017. There are always extenuating circumstances, I'm sure, but it is what it is.
    1. darjr's Avatar
      darjr -
      It seemed like they were going to rock it with Titansgrave. But it just seemed to peter out. Did Will lose interest? I thought it sold really well.
    1. vladimir10's Avatar
      vladimir10 -
      I am disappointed that they haven't added anything to the Dragon Age system. After GR made the new Core Book that combined all the previous, it seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. So sad...here's hoping that changes soon
    1. Superchunk77's Avatar
      Superchunk77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vladimir10 View Post
      I am disappointed that they haven't added anything to the Dragon Age system. After GR made the new Core Book that combined all the previous, it seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. So sad...here's hoping that changes soon
      This seems to be the case with a lot of their games. True20, Game of Thrones, the Chronicle System, Titansgrave, Dragon Age, probably quite a few others too.
    1. pkt77242's Avatar
      pkt77242 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ChapolimX View Post
      I would like to know their thoughts about Freeport 5e.

      ^This.

      I would kill for Freeport 5E book.
    Comments Leave Comment