It's a Drizzt! "Timeless" - New Drizzt Do'Urden Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
  • It's a Drizzt! "Timeless" - New Drizzt Do'Urden Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

There's a new Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy on its way! Timeless, by R.A. Salvatore, will be released as a 432-page hardcover on 18th September for $27.99 as the start of a new trilogy set in Menzoberranzan, the Underdark city of the Drow.

Image of Homeland, the first in the 1990 Dark Elf Trilogy by Salvatore

"At long last, New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy's most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills.

Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders, the City of Drow, nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

The greater nobles watched him, and one matron, in particular, decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival great houses to secure her prize, but that prize was caught for her by another, who came to quite enjoy the weapon master.

This was the beginning of the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle, and the coupling of Matron Malice and the weapon master who would sire Drizzt Do'Urden.

R.A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle - an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.

But the scourge of the dangerous Lolth's ambitions remain, and demons have been foisted on the unwitting of the surface. The resulting chaos and war will prove to be the greatest challenge for all three."

Thanks to Matt Adler for the scoop!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adler
    Details have leaked, via online book publisher catalogue Edelweiss, of a new Drizzt Do'Urden novel by R.A. Salvatore, to be published in September 2018 by Harper Voyager, the sci-fi/fantasy imprint of HarperCollins.

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0062688596&page=1

While plot details have since been removed from that site at Salvatore's request, I grabbed a screenshot:

https://twitter.com/MattAdlerComics/...43912134299650

The URL for Harper Voyager's page also confirms this is indeed a new Drizzt book, the first in 2 years, after previous publisher Wizards of the Coast cancelled their in-house novel line.

http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/bo...unti-drizzt-1/

Amazon is also listing the book for preorder:

https://www.amazon.com/Timeless-R-Sa...dp/0062688596/
    SaveSave
    Comments 90 Comments
      smiteworks -
      I immensely liked the Dark Elf Trilogy and pretty much everything with Artemis Entreri. The later series where Artemis had to adjust to being an aging human assassin were really pretty good IMO. His reflexes had dulled considerably with age but he was able to make up for it with wisdom that came along with it.
      g4m3kn1ght -
      I hope this one is a bit more upbeat than the last few. They had their glimmers but he seemed to lose a lot of the fun and swashbuckling feel the older books had. I for one hope some goofy dwarves accompany Drizz't Time Bandits style.
      jgsugden -
      If this is going to be set across time, with flashbacks or part of the story taking place in Drizzt's father's youth, I wonder if he'll try to evoke the feel of AD&D for those stories rather than the more modern rule sets - with powerful spellcasters, etc...
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
      This is the first I've heard; say what you will about Driz'zt, but WotC getting an outsourced partner for new novels is big.
      Exactly, even if you don't like Drizzt, this is awesome news! I wonder what other writers they will tap.

This is WAY, WAY, WAY bigger news then MGTF which is small patatoes compared to the return of the novel line.
      BookBarbarian -
      I read almost all the Drizzt books. I think I stopped before Archmage, in part because I find books set heavily in Drow society to be my least favorite ones.

So I'll probably skip this one.

That being said I'm glad they are making new books! I look forward to more!
      mach1.9pants -
      Quote Originally Posted by smiteworks View Post
      I immensely liked the Dark Elf Trilogy and pretty much everything with Artemis Entreri. The later series where Artemis had to adjust to being an aging human assassin were really pretty good IMO. His reflexes had dulled considerably with age but he was able to make up for it with wisdom that came along with it.
      Which were those Artemis ones, thanks?
      smiteworks -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sqn Cdr Flashheart View Post
      Which were those Artemis ones, thanks?
      It's a 3-book series called The Sellswords
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries..._st_0786942770
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      Exactly, even if you don't like Drizzt, this is awesome news! I wonder what other writers they will tap.

This is WAY, WAY, WAY bigger news then MGTF which is small patatoes compared to the return of the novel line.
      The way WotC kept talking about the novel plans was like they were waiting for a deal to go through before talking openly.

And working with the largest publisher in the world us a coup.
      bedir than -
      Quote Originally Posted by Von Ether View Post
      No Abercrombie?
      I'm so out of the DnD inspred fiction loop I thought this was a joke about the retail clothing store.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app
      mach1.9pants -
      Quote Originally Posted by bedir than View Post
      I'm so out of the DnD inspred fiction loop I thought this was a joke about the retail clothing store.

Not really DnD inspired fiction, just awesome fantasy!
      Shasarak -
      R.A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle - an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.
      It would be fun to see Zaknafein trying to adjust to life on the surface (or indeed in Menzoberanzan) so long after his death. It would also be amusing to see him not be as "good" as Drizzt remembers
      Cergorach -
      I remember liking the Drizzt books, I don't know if they aged well, it's been a while. BUT his Demonwars trilogy... The second book I started skipping sections, something I almost never do! But eventually I actually closed the book before I finished it "No more!", something I have never intentionally done with books I intend to read and have never done since. And I read a LOT, some of it not good, but this was painful to read... And I've read plays in old English...
      Nevvur -
      "...Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk."

Wait, he's a monk now, too?

Oh Drizzles, is there nothing you can't do?
      Von Ether -
      Quote Originally Posted by bedir than View Post

More like Glen Cook and GRRM. D&D not so much.
      Alzrius -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nevvur View Post
      "...Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk."

Wait, he's a monk now, too?

Oh Drizzles, is there nothing you can't do?
      You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a multiclass character.
      MonsterEnvy -
      To be fair Afafrenfere the monk was really badass and Drizzt saw him defeat a Dragon on his own.
      Pjack -
      This is the exact same release date as the as-yet-unnamed D&D hardcover adventure, codenamed "Broadway". Makes me think the novel and adventure will be tied together in some way; perhaps dealing with the aftermath of the demonic incursions from the Out of the Abyss storyline.
      MxBaticeer -
      I kind of dropped out of the Drizzt books after a certain point and probably won't get this one but if this is the first of more D&D novels in general, I'm pleased.

Call me if they get Erin Evans to write more Farideh books...!
      Zarithar -
      Quote Originally Posted by GameOgre View Post
      Just because I love me some Abercrombie ,George R.R. Martain, Lawrence and all the rest doesn't mean I don't have a spot for Salvatore on my shelf.
      Amen... I'm in the same boat. There's a lot of elitist snobbishness going on here. I love Salvatore's Realms novels. Now, if only Paul S. Kemp would come back with some new Erevis Cale stories...
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pjack View Post
      This is the exact same release date as the as-yet-unnamed D&D hardcover adventure, codenamed "Broadway". Makes me think the novel and adventure will be tied together in some way; perhaps dealing with the aftermath of the demonic incursions from the Out of the Abyss storyline.
      Probably not, considering the way that the APs have been carefully sequestered from metaplot.
    Comments Leave Comment