It's a Drizzt! "Timeless" - New Drizzt Do'Urden Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
  • It's a Drizzt! "Timeless" - New Drizzt Do'Urden Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore


    There's a new Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy on its way! Timeless, by R.A. Salvatore, will be released as a 432-page hardcover on 18th September for $27.99 as the start of a new trilogy set in Menzoberranzan, the Underdark city of the Drow.



    Image of Homeland, the first in the 1990 Dark Elf Trilogy by Salvatore


    "At long last, New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy's most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills.

    Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders, the City of Drow, nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

    The greater nobles watched him, and one matron, in particular, decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival great houses to secure her prize, but that prize was caught for her by another, who came to quite enjoy the weapon master.

    This was the beginning of the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle, and the coupling of Matron Malice and the weapon master who would sire Drizzt Do'Urden.

    R.A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle - an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.

    But the scourge of the dangerous Lolth's ambitions remain, and demons have been foisted on the unwitting of the surface. The resulting chaos and war will prove to be the greatest challenge for all three."

    Thanks to Matt Adler for the scoop!


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adler
    Details have leaked, via online book publisher catalogue Edelweiss, of a new Drizzt Do'Urden novel by R.A. Salvatore, to be published in September 2018 by Harper Voyager, the sci-fi/fantasy imprint of HarperCollins.

    https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0062688596&page=1

    While plot details have since been removed from that site at Salvatore's request, I grabbed a screenshot:

    https://twitter.com/MattAdlerComics/...43912134299650

    The URL for Harper Voyager's page also confirms this is indeed a new Drizzt book, the first in 2 years, after previous publisher Wizards of the Coast cancelled their in-house novel line.

    http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/bo...unti-drizzt-1/

    Amazon is also listing the book for preorder:

    https://www.amazon.com/Timeless-R-Sa...dp/0062688596/
    SaveSave
    Comments 90 Comments
    1. Enevhar Aldarion's Avatar
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adler View Post
      And I've just been given a 24 hour ban for posting that link in the aforementioned fan group Salvatore is a part of. Oh well.
      Maybe to keep you from scooping the official announcement made today any more than you already have?

      Officially announced on Twitter by WotC a few minutes ago, along with this link about it:

      https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-r...ess-exclusive/
    1. Matt Adler's Avatar
      Matt Adler -
      Quote Originally Posted by Enevhar Aldarion View Post
      Maybe to keep you from scooping the official announcement made today any more than you already have?

      Officially announced on Twitter by WotC a few minutes ago, along with this link about it:

      https://nerdist.com/drizzt-dourden-r...ess-exclusive/
      Yep, that turned out to be the reason.
    1. gyor's Avatar
      gyor -
      The thing I want to know is will it just be for the Drizzt novels or will there be other FR novels?
    1. Matt Adler's Avatar
      Matt Adler -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      The thing I want to know is will it just be for the Drizzt novels or will there be other FR novels?
      They are probably waiting to see how the Drizzt book does. Probably the best way to get more novels is to write to the publisher with proof that you preordered this book, and name ONE author and/or Realms character you would like to see them add. Any more than one author/character and it will get lost as noise.
    1. Shasarak's Avatar
      Shasarak -
      I wonder if we are going to see some old school Menzoberanzan, only seven more months to find out.
    1. Madelon Ferris's Avatar
      Madelon Ferris -
      I found the Drizzt series a year ago and I'm on book 13. I keep hearing that the new book that came out this September, timeless, is a Trilogy. So are there two more books to come that follow timeless?
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      I received the press release through for this today. Figured I'd add it here for completeness!

      ----

      At long last, New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy’s most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills

      For any fan of Epic Fantasy or gaming, there are few characters that hold quite as much significance as Drizzt Do'Urden, the iconic dark elf warrior. New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore created the legendary swordsman thirty years ago, spawning novels, video games, and tabletop gaming campaigns – and taking hold of the imaginations of countless fans in the process.

      Salvatore helped shape modern fantasy, and with TIMELESS (on-sale from Harper Voyager 9/4/2018), he continues to propel the genre forward. It’s a rare book that can encompass a whole world as sprawling as the Forgotten Realms, while still being a welcoming gateway for new readers, but with this re-launch of Drizzt Do'Urden, fans new and old will all find common ground in this thrilling tale.

      More importantly, though, TIMELESS takes that which fans of the genre love best – pulse-pounding fight scenes, hordes of mystical creatures, vast arrays of magical artifacts, and heaps of adventure stories – and marries it with a modern sensibility. This is a Drizzt novel, yes, but it’s also a novel about Drizzt’s father, the famed weapon master who taught him everything he knows, and Jarlaxle, the roguish Mercenary who made Drizzt and his companions realize there was a world worth living in beyond the Underdark.

      Salvatore himself is incredibly enthused by the continuing evolution of Drizzt’s saga:

      “I wasn’t really ready to say goodbye to Drizzt and the gang. Even after all these years, there seemed to be dozens and dozens of stories left to tell. These characters have become like my family. I’m super excited to be able to work with Wizards of the Coast, David Pomerico and the folks at Harper Voyager to continue to publish Drizzt stories set in the Forgotten Realms.”

      Harper Voyager Executive Editor David Pomerico shares Salvatore’s excitement:

      “Growing up, a few characters sucked me into the world of science fiction and fantasy. Ender. Garion. Tasselhoff Burrfoot. And, of course, Drizzt. So when the opportunity came around to work with Bob on a character that not only meant so much to me, but is truly one of the iconic fantasy characters, I jumped at it,” he shared.

      Two years will have passed between Drizzt books when TIMELESS goes on-sale, and fans are clamoring for the new installment. These novels have left an indelible mark on the genre, but clearly, they’ve made an even more lasting impression on readers. Salvatore put it best, saying “I still enjoy writing these characters and I’m interested to see where they take me next.”

      ###

      About the Book
      Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan—the City of Spiders, the city of drow—nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

      Zaknafein.

      The greater nobles watched him, and one powerful Matron—Malice—decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival houses to secure her prize, but it was ultimately the roguish Jarlaxle who caught him.

      Thus sparked the birth of two key moments in Menzoberranzan: the coupling of a noble and weapon master that would produce Drizzt Do’Urden…and the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle.
      R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of this unlikely pair—offering a fresh take on the intrigue and opportunities to be found in the shadows, and providing a fascinating prelude to the journeys that have shaped the modern-day Forgotten Realms. There, Zaknafein and Drizzt are joined together in a series of trials that parallel those of centuries long past, even though their paths no longer seem to be aligned. How will a father, so long constrained by the vicious and conservative world of the drow, be able to reconcile his ingrained prejudices with the world and companions of his enlightened son?

      The answer lies in their desire for peace over chaos. And as long as the scourge of the goddess Lolth’s ambitions still remain, both are determined to keep her dark will at bay. But the Spider Queen is powerful, and now demons have been unleashed on the unwitting denizens of the surface world. United in purpose—and through their mutual friendship with Jarlaxle—Zaknafein and Drizzt will need to put aside their differences in order to keep the ones they love safe.
    1. gyor's Avatar
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      I received the press release through for this today. Figured I'd add it here for completeness!

      ----

      At long last, New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy’s most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills

      For any fan of Epic Fantasy or gaming, there are few characters that hold quite as much significance as Drizzt Do'Urden, the iconic dark elf warrior. New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore created the legendary swordsman thirty years ago, spawning novels, video games, and tabletop gaming campaigns – and taking hold of the imaginations of countless fans in the process.

      Salvatore helped shape modern fantasy, and with TIMELESS (on-sale from Harper Voyager 9/4/2018), he continues to propel the genre forward. It’s a rare book that can encompass a whole world as sprawling as the Forgotten Realms, while still being a welcoming gateway for new readers, but with this re-launch of Drizzt Do'Urden, fans new and old will all find common ground in this thrilling tale.

      More importantly, though, TIMELESS takes that which fans of the genre love best – pulse-pounding fight scenes, hordes of mystical creatures, vast arrays of magical artifacts, and heaps of adventure stories – and marries it with a modern sensibility. This is a Drizzt novel, yes, but it’s also a novel about Drizzt’s father, the famed weapon master who taught him everything he knows, and Jarlaxle, the roguish Mercenary who made Drizzt and his companions realize there was a world worth living in beyond the Underdark.

      Salvatore himself is incredibly enthused by the continuing evolution of Drizzt’s saga:

      “I wasn’t really ready to say goodbye to Drizzt and the gang. Even after all these years, there seemed to be dozens and dozens of stories left to tell. These characters have become like my family. I’m super excited to be able to work with Wizards of the Coast, David Pomerico and the folks at Harper Voyager to continue to publish Drizzt stories set in the Forgotten Realms.”

      Harper Voyager Executive Editor David Pomerico shares Salvatore’s excitement:

      “Growing up, a few characters sucked me into the world of science fiction and fantasy. Ender. Garion. Tasselhoff Burrfoot. And, of course, Drizzt. So when the opportunity came around to work with Bob on a character that not only meant so much to me, but is truly one of the iconic fantasy characters, I jumped at it,” he shared.

      Two years will have passed between Drizzt books when TIMELESS goes on-sale, and fans are clamoring for the new installment. These novels have left an indelible mark on the genre, but clearly, they’ve made an even more lasting impression on readers. Salvatore put it best, saying “I still enjoy writing these characters and I’m interested to see where they take me next.”

      ###

      About the Book
      Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan—the City of Spiders, the city of drow—nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

      Zaknafein.

      The greater nobles watched him, and one powerful Matron—Malice—decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival houses to secure her prize, but it was ultimately the roguish Jarlaxle who caught him.

      Thus sparked the birth of two key moments in Menzoberranzan: the coupling of a noble and weapon master that would produce Drizzt Do’Urden…and the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle.
      R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of this unlikely pair—offering a fresh take on the intrigue and opportunities to be found in the shadows, and providing a fascinating prelude to the journeys that have shaped the modern-day Forgotten Realms. There, Zaknafein and Drizzt are joined together in a series of trials that parallel those of centuries long past, even though their paths no longer seem to be aligned. How will a father, so long constrained by the vicious and conservative world of the drow, be able to reconcile his ingrained prejudices with the world and companions of his enlightened son?

      The answer lies in their desire for peace over chaos. And as long as the scourge of the goddess Lolth’s ambitions still remain, both are determined to keep her dark will at bay. But the Spider Queen is powerful, and now demons have been unleashed on the unwitting denizens of the surface world. United in purpose—and through their mutual friendship with Jarlaxle—Zaknafein and Drizzt will need to put aside their differences in order to keep the ones they love safe.
      I liked the book, look forward to the next, but it doesn't come even close to encompassing the whole realms, it's almost completely contained to the Swordcoast region and it's underdark. Damara and Algorond get mentioned. That is about it. Most of Drizzt stories are the Swordcoast and the North with the occasional exceptions. It'd be cool to see Drizzt visit the Old Empires Region, the Shining South, or other cool regions, but I don't see it. Closest to get is the rare trip to Calimishan or Damara which is neat.
    1. KahlessNestor's Avatar
      KahlessNestor -
      Wouldn't mind seeing Cadderly again, if he isn't still bound at Spirit Soaring after the cataclysm.
    1. Zardnaar's Avatar
      Zardnaar -
      Last good Drizzt book was probably in the 90's Last one I read had Gauntlegrym in it and a vampire Dwarf was kind of average
    1. gyor's Avatar
      gyor -
      I like Timeless and hero at least.
    1. BookBarbarian's Avatar
      BookBarbarian -
      Quote Originally Posted by KahlessNestor View Post
      Wouldn't mind seeing Cadderly again, if he isn't still bound at Spirit Soaring after the cataclysm.
      I wouldn't mind that either.

      I always did find the Cadderly's journey in the Clerical Quintet to be more satisfying than Drizzt's in 20+ books.
    1. KahlessNestor's Avatar
      KahlessNestor -
      I'm not caught up with the Drizzt ones. Last one I read was Charon's Claw. I have The Last Threshold on the shelf waiting for me to get to it.
    1. gyor's Avatar
      gyor -
      Does anyone know when the next novel will be released and what it will be called?
    1. Emirikol_Prime's Avatar
      Emirikol_Prime -
      So I guess this didn't herald the return of WotC novels as I had hoped.
    1. MonsterEnvy's Avatar
      MonsterEnvy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Emirikol_Prime View Post
      So I guess this didn't herald the return of WotC novels as I had hoped.
      Why is that?
    1. Emirikol_Prime's Avatar
      Emirikol_Prime -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnvy View Post
      Why is that?
      Ask WotC why there are no more novels scheduled. Not me.
    1. MonsterEnvy's Avatar
      MonsterEnvy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Emirikol_Prime View Post
      Ask WotC why there are no more novels scheduled. Not me.
      There are, we know two more Drizzt books are coming.
    1. Emirikol_Prime's Avatar
      Emirikol_Prime -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnvy View Post
      There are, we know two more Drizzt books are coming.
      Obviously I meant besides the Drizzt books that we know about. There used to be a steady flow ofbooks. That is done.

      Ask WotC why. Not me.
    1. Parmandur's Avatar
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Emirikol_Prime View Post
      Obviously I meant besides the Drizzt books that we know about. There used to be a steady flow ofbooks. That is done.

      Ask WotC why. Not me.
      HarperCollins has to gauge success before investing more and paying WotC.

      WotC doesn't control these things anymore, they accept money from folks as they willing to pay for rights to the IP.
    Comments Leave Comment