Starfinder Want Starfinder on Fantasy Grounds? Now's the Time!

Starfinder, the space-fantasy ruleset released by Paizo last year, is now available on Fantasy Grounds, the virtual tabletop software.

Starfinder, the space-fantasy ruleset released by Paizo last year, is now available on Fantasy Grounds, the virtual tabletop software.

Says SmiteWorks: "The ruleset comes with the entire contents of the Starfinder Core Rules in an easy to read reference manual and with drag and drop data elements for everything like classes, races, armor, shields, and starships. Character creation is assisted by dragging and dropping race, theme and then class. Starship build support and starship combat is still getting finalized but will make an appearance when we release version 1.0."

_Starfinder1.jpg
_Starfinder2.jpg
_Starfinder3.jpg
DeadSunsScreenshot003.jpg

What's available? The Starfinder Core Rules, the Alien Archive, and parts 1-3 of the Dead Suns adventure path.

ddaley

Explorer
Paizo needs to develop their own version of DnD Beyond. I have an ultimate license to FG and have purchased the 5e bundle, in addition to other rulesets... but have been using the application less and less :( I tend to go through phases using certain applications though. So, we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddaley

Explorer
DnD Beyond doesn't require a subscription. I hate subscriptions too, but actually subscribed to DnD Beyond. Figured I would try it for a year (bought the 1 year sub). I don't have to continue the subscription and won't lose any of my content by doing that. I may lose characters, if I have too many in the system.

i'd rather they didn't, I loathe subscriptions

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DnD Beyond doesn't require a subscription. I hate subscriptions too, but actually subscribed to DnD Beyond. Figured I would try it for a year (bought the 1 year sub). I don't have to continue the subscription and won't lose any of my content by doing that. I may lose characters, if I have too many in the system.

What on earth are you talking about? Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop platform. D&D Beyond is a different thing altogether. What an odd thing to say.

ddaley

Explorer
Why is it an odd thing to say? Quite a few people use FG at the table... which is what I do. I find D&D Beyond more useful. It is much easier to navigate and easier to open items in tabs for reference during the session.

I have spent quite a bit on FG, but have only used it once for a remote session.

What on earth are you talking about? Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop platform. D&D Beyond is a different thing altogether. What an odd thing to say.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why is it an odd thing to say? Quite a few people use FG at the table... which is what I do. I find D&D Beyond more useful. It is much easier to navigate and easier to open items in tabs for reference during the session.

I have spent quite a bit on FG, but have only used it once for a remote session.

It’s an entirely different product. Like an SUV and a ice cream are.

ddaley

Explorer
It's not uncommon to use FG as a reference tool for running games at the table. All I am saying is that, as a reference tool, D&D Beyond is much more useful. As a virtual tabletop, FG obviously wins hands down... part of the reason I own/pay for both. My comment was that Paizo needs to develop something comparable to D&D Beyond for use at the table.

It’s an entirely different product. Like an SUV and a ice cream are.

As a pure reference tool, just looking up rules and such, DnD Beyond is easier to use. If that is all you are doing, then I agree that FG is overkill. Many people were using it as an online reference source in the past when there were no other choices.

However, for tracking combat and projecting maps and being a reference all at the same time, FG is much better that DnD Beyond. And for actually running the games remotely, FG is the only choice between the two of them because it is a VTT and DnD Beyond is not. As a reference, many DM's would be quite happy with a PDF, DnD Beyond is still more than what is needed to quickly look up a rule without searching through a paper book. Since that is not an option, others must be used.

That has little to do with the new ruleset for Starfinder. Paizo publishes and sells PDF. FG is now the most advanced VTT to run Starfinder on plus you get credit for PDF purchases from Paizo.

Remove ads

Remove ads