Unearthed Arcana Into the Wild: New Unearthed Arcana Covers Wilderness Exploration

pukunui

Legend
February's Unearthed Arcana from WotC is here, and covers wilderness exploration. The new optional rules involve breaking travel into four phases: choosing a destination, choosing activities, resolving the activities and travel, and camping; plus a sample wilderness region from Nentir Vale: the Moon Hills region.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.37.02.png

"This month, Unearthed Arcana wanders into the wilderness, with new ways to approach outdoor exploration.

"The rules for wilderness travel in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide and chapter 8 of the Player’s Handbook allow a DM to track a party’s progress for each hour of travel. Those rules work similarly to the rules for dungeon navigation, in that the players pick a direction and strike off in search of adventure, adjusting their path as they go .... The following approach to wilderness exploration and travel provides a new overlay for the existing rules from the Dungeon Master’s Guide and the Player’s Handbook. They’re built around the idea that the players have a specific destination in mind as the party sets out for the day. They also require that you take a new approach to designing the wilderness regions of your campaign as a DM."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.37.02.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.37.02.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 21,170
Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess Mike Mearls has been avidly studying Cubicle 7's work.
Which example makes me think a system like this could be great for establishing setting: travel activities in Eberron and Dark Sun would be as different from the Forgotten Realms as Middle Earth is.

More feats sound boring to me. These alternate/experimental rules systems are exactly the sort of thing I want to see more of in UA.

This. While I'm fine with UA being used to playtest possible new examples of "standard" material--subclasses, feats, spells--I'd really love to see them get more out there. These are free downloads and pure playtest stuff. Go hog wild. See how far you can push the envelope in a dozen different directions.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases