Why Are Groot and Old Spice at My Table?

So it's finally come to this: Old Spice recently made a class for Pathfinder. This isn't the first time a brand has created a class for D&D and it won't be the last, but it says a lot about gamers -- and the brand -- in how we react to these ads. I Can't Believe I'm Writing About Old SpiceOld Spice's quirky brand has always targeted young men and it's clear the marketers at the company...

So it's finally come to this: Old Spice recently made a class for Pathfinder. This isn't the first time a brand has created a class for D&D and it won't be the last, but it says a lot about gamers -- and the brand -- in how we react to these ads.

oldspicegentlemanclass.jpg
[h=3]I Can't Believe I'm Writing About Old Spice[/h]Old Spice's quirky brand has always targeted young men and it's clear the marketers at the company thought they would experiment by using a relatively low-key approach with geek media. They released a class for Pathfinder on Twtter:
Download this new Old Spice Gentleman Class for the greatest role playing game of all time, which we cannot mention for legal reasons, to fulfill that fantasy dream you have always had since reading this post. OS_Gentleman Class_Public.pdf
And yes, it's the same team who brought you the Old Spice commercials:
The group of us who write those commercials, is the same group who made this class, and is the same group that is writing you right now. So thanks!
Reactions were mixed. Some folks were excited that a big brand took notice. Some folks were concerned that a big brand created something for Pathfinder without using the Open Game License but similar trade dress. And some folks just hoped that more gamers would use deodorant.

This isn't the first time a brand tried to make a play to D&D gamers using a class, however. But unlike this largely anonymous effort, it was led by two people with strong connections to D&D.
[h=3]I Am Groot?[/h]Matt Mercer, voice actor, gamer, and DM for the web series Critical Role, created a witch hunter class for Fifth Edition D&D to help promote Fast & Furious actor Vin Diesel's (he's also the voice of Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy) movie, Witch Hunter:
As a Halloween gift to all the Critters, D&D players, and generally awesome people out there, I release into the wild my custom Dungeon & Dragons 5th Edition class, the Witch Hunter! This was inspired by both my love of the The Witcher series of books and games, and the custom character I made for Vin Diesel in preparation for our D&Diesel game session to promote his upcoming film The Last Witch Hunter.
Vin Diesel played a variant of this class in a game with Mercer. He even recorded a video about it. In fact, Vin Diesel's favorite D&D character was Melkor, a witch hunter, which was the inspiration for the movie:
...I met with a writer name Cory Goodman and we started talking. Someone put us together because he was a D&D player. [Afterwards, Cory] went off to write a whole film around my character Melkor. Just the very fact that I”d be playing a witch hunter speaks to how nerdy I was about the game, how committed I was to D&D because witch hunter [wasn”t a] class by TSR at the time. It was a character that you could get from a third party book of characters called The Arcanum. There were a few characters that started there that eventually Dungeons and Dragons took over; one of those characters was a witch hunter.
Like the gentleman class, the witch hunter class mimiced D&D's trade dress but did not use the Open Game License when it was released. So why are gamers reacting differently to the two approaches?
[h=3]Hiding Behind a Screen[/h]The big difference is identity. Generally speaking, most consumers prefer a brand to engage them as people, not as faceless brands. As digital marketing company Pure360 puts it:
The answer is very simple – be human. Humans make mistakes, they’re vulnerable, they learn and try. They don’t get things right all the time but most people’s hearts are in the right place. We connect with vulnerability – it strikes us at our heart because we’re human and we can’t resist connecting with another human – it’s what makes us tick. As a marketer the best thing you can do for your brand is to put faces, names and fallibility to it.
Vin Diesel has always been up front about being a geek-at-heart--he penned the introduction to the 30th Anniversary of D&D book, 30 Years of Adventure. Matt Mercer is a huge advocate for geekdom in general. They created a class that takes the topic seriously and although it's called "witch hunter" there's no direct link to Vin Diesel's movie. Just as importantly, the class debuted on Geek & Sundry, a D&D-friendly site.

Old Spice, on the other hand, released its class on Twitter with no one's name attached to it. Old Spice got enough feedback that they made a follow-up post, relaunching the class with Paizo's blessing and an OGL declaration:
We heard your advice, felt its power in our heart chambers and made some tweaks. We think this plays better. Also, thank you @paizo for the use of Pathfinder®, and guidance to make this for real. Here it is: http://www.OldSpiceGentlemanClass.com
Is one approach better than the other? In the end it doesn't really matter -- tabletop gamers are now a sufficiently large demographic that brands are targeting them. The fact that we're discussing it at all means Old Spice was successful. And that means there will be more co-branded D&D content in the near future. Brace yourselves.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

mellored

Legend
D&D has always been inspired by pop-culture. Lots of stuff taken from comic books, and fantasy books. This is just the continuation of doing so.

As someone terminally over having my nose assaulted by bad-smelling gamers, anything that might make people think “oh, I need to not smell like a moldy cheese cellar” is fine by my book.

On the other side, one of the things that struck me about the Vin Diesel/Critical Role session was that for an actor and long-time gamer, he didn’t do a lot of getting into character.

But I totally have a soft spot for The Last Witch Hunter because it was filmed in Pittsburgh.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Nah. It's mostly 'cause Old Spice is implying gamers are smelly, and need to throw on some perfume to cover it up and render them more smelly.

I never felt that implied at all when I read the class. I thought it was just a goofy way to combine their interesting commercials with an interesting fantasy character.

Maybe the 'nerds stink' is really stuck in our heads. I know I have certainly experienced it more than once, so that is where our minds jump to first? Not sure. Speculation.

I didn't find it offensive I guess. Looked fun to play in a less than serious campaign at the right table.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nah. It's mostly 'cause Old Spice is implying gamers are smelly, and need to throw on some perfume to cover it up and render them more smelly.

It's perfume. That's what they sell - stuff to make you smell nice. They advertise at lots of demographics; they're not telling them all they smell bad! They're saying with Old Spice you'll smell awesome.

Just in this case, they had a Pathfinder fan in the ads team who thought it would be fun to do a Pathfinder-themed ad.

talien

Community Supporter
Because the company posted the class to Twitter without an actual spokesperson, it didn't provide any narrative (like, "hey I'm a gamer and Old Spice is awesome!"). If you didn't have a particularly high opinion of the company, conclusions like "Old Spice says we smell" -- which is a totally valid interpretation, because Old Spice did nothing to dissuade gamers otherwise -- is where we ended up in many cases. Not all of course, but I think as brands decide to pitch to us, they're going to have to try harder.

jrowland

First Post
Because the company posted the class to Twitter without an actual spokesperson, it didn't provide any narrative (like, "hey I'm a gamer and Old Spice is awesome!"). If you didn't have a particularly high opinion of the company, conclusions like "Old Spice says we smell" -- which is a totally valid interpretation, because Old Spice did nothing to dissuade gamers otherwise -- is where we ended up in many cases. Not all of course, but I think as brands decide to pitch to us, they're going to have to try harder.

Nah,
Gamers are fickle, and hard to please. These very boards I submit as exhibit A.

What's the saying? There's no such thing as bad press?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads