Orr Group Q4 2017 Shows Large D&D Bump

The Orr Group - the company behind the popular Roll20 virtual tabletop - released its report for Quarter 4, 2017 recently. They report that D&D hard a larger than usual bump, and that Pathfinder also saw positive growth in the quarter. UP until recently, Roll20 has been an official licensee for D&D; as of this week, they are now an official licensee for Pathfinder and Starfinder, too, so those games might see a bump next quarter (though we won't see those figures for six months).

Starfinder rose from #15 to #11, and Star Wars increased to #5.

In separate news, Roll20 sent out a press release celebrating 3 million users. "Hot on the heels of our Pathfinder partnership, Roll20 has hit another new milestone: we now have over 3 million users! It's only been a year since we hit two million, but what can we say - these (digital) dice are hot. We've launched a major website update to keep those millions of players happy, with voice and video chat now integrated directly into our games along with an improved marketplace, fast adventure integration, and compendium upgrades to make finding, creating, and getting into games easier than ever."

tumblr_inline_p4iw9aY8Q01vq0pt5_1280.png

Roll20 Celebrates 3 Million Users; Launches New Voice and Video Chat, New Marketplace, and More

Premiere Virtual TableTop Levels Up Again as More Players Move Online

February 28, 2018: Roll20® celebrated reaching three million users today with the launch of new features to make the virtual tabletop experience even better. Starting now, all Roll20 users can chat with their groups using the improved voice and video chat, find great new adventures in the redesigned Marketplace, and set up games quickly and easily with a host of more streamlined features.

Three million users marks yet another critical success in the recent hot streak for Roll20. The service flew past the two million user mark in January 2017, meaning that it’s only taken Roll20 one year to grow its user base an additional 50%. Major publishers have already embraced the value that Roll20’s virtual tabletop offers players, with Paizo Inc. (Pathfinder®, Starfinder®) launching their official partnership with the service just yesterday.

With a huge variety of roleplaying systems available, players can start or join a game on Roll20 for free and play entirely through their web browser. Today’s new feature launch brings a host of additional creature comforts to make gaming easier than ever. The updates include:

• Improved Roll20 Video and Voice Chat: completely overhauled system makes talking to your party stable, simple, and fun (no guarantees about the plans they make using it, though!)
  • Marketplace Redesign: easier to find, buy, and even gift new adventures to your friends
  • Fast Adventure Integration: add publisher content to your games quicker than ever before
  • Compendium Upgrades: page through a fully indexed, interactive guide styled just like the books
Roll20 Managing Partner Nolan T. Jones welcomed the news of this three million user achievement with a shout-out to the players. “When my friends and I started Roll20, there were only three players, and all of them were us. I'm pretty sure none of us had a million friends, so thank you to whoever keeps spreading the word.”

MarkB

Legend
Anecdotally, our local RPG club is currently seeing a D&D upsurge. We've had several new members since the start of the year, and while we generally run a varied selection of games, we - very unusually - had to re-run the games vote for the second quarter sessions because, with two D&D and two non-D&D games on offer, almost everyone had put D&D as their preferred choice.

Hussar

Legend
Hopefully this might give Smiteworks enough of a kick in the pants to actually roll out their upgraded Fantasy Grounds. I mean, it's only been three years since they announced the new upgrade. :erm:

damned

Explorer
Hopefully this might give Smiteworks enough of a kick in the pants to actually roll out their upgraded Fantasy Grounds. I mean, it's only been three years since they announced the new upgrade. :erm:

Hussar - they have not announced the new platform - and they wont until its ready.
In those three years there have been 13 major upgrades and many minor ones.
The current platform continues to evolve and grow.
And Fantasy Grounds growth is going along very nicely too - more people are playing more RPGs everywhere.

Its awesome to see so many new and returning players in the hobby.

Hussar

Legend
*snort* major upgrades... snicker*

Huh, they've been talking about the Unity Engine upgrade for at least three years.

I've been an Ultimate License user for about that long. The program has barely any functionality beyond what you get for free with Maptool and certainly less functionality than Roll 20. I very much backed the wrong horse and I would not recommend Fantasy Grounds to anyone. It's slow as heck, lacks so much functionality and crashes on a pretty much weekly basis. I'm struggling to remember a single session (and we play weekly alternating between two different DM's hosting) that didn't have server issues, or crashing or whatever.

Fantasy Grounds is not a good option.

damned

Explorer
Hola Hussar - yep plenty of upgrades and way more functionality than its competitors. Perhaps a skills gap that can be easily fixed with a little education? If you would like me to have a look with you at what you are having issues with Im sure they are easily solved.
It is true - I am a big fan of the product - but Im a fan because it is so bloody good.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Strange that the number of d&d 5e players is only a small percentage more than number of games. I would expect at least 3:1 ratio.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases