Critical Role EN World's Critical Role Roundup 002: The Story So Far

Want to jump into the current campaign of Critical Role? Here's what you need to know!

The story is set on the continent of Wildemount, to the east of Tal'Dorei, about 20 years following the end of the previous campaign. Wildemount is an empire, loosely inspired by medieval Europe.

The first several episodes of this campaign introduced the player characters to the audience and each other. Everyone's backstories are slowly being revealed, with some characters more forthcoming than others. Our cast of characters were introduced at Level 2 and since have leveled up to 3. Meet the Mighty Nein*!

*Exclamations of "Nein!" have become a running gag. Wildemount is the land of faux-European accents, and players rolled 9s enough times that everyone started yelling "Nine!" with an accent.

Caleb Widogast (Liam O'Brien): A human wizard of the school of transmutation, Caleb maintains a dirty, disheveled appearance. He loves books, but rarely has money for them. Caleb's background is a mystery, but he has a German accent and uses German (sorry, that's Zemnian) words and phrases now and then. His wizardly studies have been somewhat delayed, possibly following some traumatic experience involving fire. Recently, Caleb began traveling with Nott the Brave after they met while locked in a local jail. Caleb's familiar is an orange cat named Frumpkin.

Nott the Brave (Sam Riegel): Nott is a goblin rogue (arcane trickster) obsessed with stealing shiny things and drinking alcohol, which makes her brave. She is a young adult by short-lived goblin standards. She left her own civilization and now travels with Caleb after they escaped jail together. They look after each other and have taken turns saving each other's lives.

Fjord (Travis Willingham): A half-orc hexblade warlock, Fjord (usually pronounced "Ford") is headed to the Soltryce Academy to study magic. He recently began traveling with Jester and Beau. Fjord uses an Exandrian equivalent of a Texas accent and acts fairly responsible and level-headed. He claims to have been a sailor. His favored weapon is a falchion which manifests magically in his hand, dotted with barnacles and dripping seawater. In an encounter with his patron (seen by the audience, but not the other players), Fjord had a noble British accent, so he's clearly hiding things. His patron is a very large underwater entity, and Fjord awoke from his dream/vision coughing up saltwater as if he was drowning, which worried the rest of the party.

Jester (Laura Bailey): Jester is a blue tiefling cleric with an eastern European accent. She is a follower of the Traveler, a trickster figure who has power but isn't technically a deity. Jester loves pastries and draws pictures -- usually funny or racy doodles -- in her journal as her method of meditating and communicating with the Traveler. She is a young adult who left home after playing a prank on a local lord from her hometown, who then wanted her killed for embarrassing him. The lord was a regular client of her mother, who is a nigh-legendary courtesan from a well-known, high-class brothel. Now on the run, Jester is looking for the father she never has met. She met up with Fjord recently and began traveling with him, then Beau joined them.

Beau (Marisha Ray): Short for "Beauregard," as she says her parents really wanted a boy, Beau is a human monk. She is from a wealthy family that owns a prosperous winery. Beau resists authority. She left the Cobalt Soul, where she trained, because of it. Eventually she learned that her mentor actually believes she has great potential, which altered her perspective slightly. Beau is blunt and abrasive, pretends not to care, but she's good in a fight and is beginning to warm up to the others in the party.

Mollymauk Tealeaf (Taliesen Jaffe): Molly is a lavender tiefling blood hunter (Order of the Ghost Slayer). He was traveling with a carnival, drumming up business and giving card readings. Molly has a flamboyant look with lots of jewelry and piercings in his horns, and an outfit designed to drive fan artists and cosplays to madness. He met the others when he ran into them in a tavern and invited them to see the show, then got embroiled in adventures with them. Molly told Fjord a story about his background, but an insight check revealed he was lying, so we don't know his story yet. A fellow carnival performer let slip that at one point, Molly wasn't speaking, but he since has recovered...and them some.

Yasha (Ashley Johnson): Yasha is an aasimar barbarian who traveled with the carnival, mostly working security. She is very tall, strong and pale, with one violet eye and one greenish blue. She and Molly have known each other for some time, so he is aware of her tendency to run off occasionally, though she eventually comes back. This is a handy character trait because -- as in the first campaign -- Ashley Johnson often cannot be on the show due to filming a TV show in New York. Yasha has appeared in two episodes so far.

The Story So Far
Fjord, Jester, and Beau met Caleb and Nott while they were staying in the same inn. Molly and Yasha met them when they came in to attract patrons to the Carnival of Curiosities. They all went to the carnival, where Beau flirted with Yasha a bit before undead monsters attacked during the performance. The group fought the monsters, but the local officials suspected that these strangers might have been involved in the incident.

During the investigation, the group tried to solve the case themselves, ultimately discovering that one of the carnival performers was an evil fiend. They slew the fiend and cleared their names, but the carnival was disbanded. The group decided to travel together, including Molly, while Yasha goes wandering again. They moved on to another town that was beset by gnolls as they arrived. They fought the gnolls, then chased them into nearby mines where they finished off the gnoll threat and saved the town.

contributed by Annie Bulloch, art is official Geek & Sundry art for Critical Role by Ariana Orner

Zardnaar

Legend
EEewwww Tiefling overload.

First time I have paid attention to Critical Role or even know what its about. Some youtube channel about D&D is about the extent of my knowledge.

SigmaOne

First Post
Awesome roundup, thanks! I really look forward to these weekly updates already; though I'm a week behind so I'll have to decide whether or not I want spoilers each week.

Are these the official portraits of the characters or fan art? I don't see any credit anywhere; did I miss it?

Too bad, but sadly not surprising, that the first comment is "Eww" because someone sees something not to their taste. Let the Teiflings reign!

Zardnaar

Legend
Awesome roundup, thanks! I really look forward to these weekly updates already; though I'm a week behind so I'll have to decide whether or not I want spoilers each week.

Are these the official portraits of the characters or fan art? I don't see any credit anywhere; did I miss it?

Too bad, but sadly not surprising, that the first comment is "Eww" because someone sees something not to their taste. Let the Teiflings reign!

I was not being to serious I allow Tieflings in my game.

I like the Goblin though.

Annie Bulloch

First Post

This is all official art by Ariana Orner! I put the credit in the file names but forgot to include it in the actual text. I’m glad you said something and I’ll make sure it gets added.

Glad you’re enjoying these recaps! I understand the spoiler quandary, but I assure you that there’s no way I can communicate the full entertainment value of the way things happen in a summary. For instance, there’s an NPC from last night’s episode who simply must be seen and heard.

Von Ether

Legend
This is all official art by Ariana Orner! I put the credit in the file names but forgot to include it in the actual text. I’m glad you said something and I’ll make sure it gets added.

Glad you’re enjoying these recaps! I understand the spoiler quandary, but I assure you that there’s no way I can communicate the full entertainment value of the way things happen in a summary. For instance, there’s an NPC from last night’s episode who simply must be seen and heard.

With a show that has 4 hour episodes, a recap column is not a bad idea. I almost wish we had time stamps for any cool bits so we could get the best of both worlds. A recap to save time if we can't watch, but then we see clips of the highlights.

SigmaOne

First Post
With a show that has 4 hour episodes, a recap column is not a bad idea. I almost wish we had time stamps for any cool bits so we could get the best of both worlds. A recap to save time if we can't watch, but then we see clips of the highlights.

Check the comments of the youtube postings of the show. I'm pretty sure someone always posts the timestamps for each little thing.

I'm a late comer to Critical Role, just August last year, binged watched every episode right up to christmas, throughly enjoyed the first campaign, and will forever be grateful to Sam for making Gnome Bards cool :p

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases