Travel Through The Mists Of Akuma And Into New Worlds For D&D 5E

Mists of Akuma may be the Meiji – Punk post-apocalypse RPG setting you never knew that you needed. The game enlists your character in the tragic tale that is Soburin, offering a dizzying array of possible cultural hooks to embrace.

Just perusing the setting material can fill an afternoon without even getting down to the minutiae of each section. An impressive amount of work and care went into the creation of this work, including easy to read type giving those who worked on or contributed to the book due credit, which is a nice touch. Some people may be turned off by the enormous weight of this tome, but the table of contents clearly spells out the location of what you need. In addition, the table of contents let's you navigate to the part of the setting you are most interested in, whether it be background or crunch. An impressive amount of work went into creating Mists of Akuma.

Setting
The setting takes place on the continent of Soburin, an Eastern themed land that lies beyond the Great Divide, keeping Soburin and the rest of the world (mostly) apart. This changed in what is known as the War of Kaiyo; a war brought to the shores of Soburin by the flying gunships of Ceramia. An end to the war and the destruction of the world did not immediately free Soburin.

It took decades for the restoration of local rule, but this did not prevent the empire from descending into further trouble due to political ambition and the reappearance of the titular Mists of Akuma. These ancient mists appear and disappear at random, leaving monsters and chaos in their wake. The steam technology of the gaijin still exists as well and players have access to it. Just remember ownership of such has repercussions. Culture is very important as you might imagine and has mechanical as well as social consequences.

System
There is a great deal of crunch in Mists of Akuma. The balance between setting and system will satisfy players and games masters alike. Instead of creating new mechanics to the 5E system, Mists of Akuma adds in local flavor in the form of races, sub-classes, classes, backgrounds, and spells. Culture is a skill that players can invest in, which makes absolute sense for the setting. Players have access to an array of inhuman playable races, including the bokemono and kappa. Among the new backgrounds is one known as Disgraced Amputee. This may be my favorite as it offers the player a chance to play a character with complex social stigmas as well as a physical disability. All of the new crunch supports the overall theme well.

Final Thoughts
Mists of Akuma is a dense work of art that pours some of our assumptions from history and gaming into a blender, giving it a good spin. It blends a base "translation" of history, cultural conflict and some gaming tropes, offering an extrapolation of a structured society trying to survive the end of the world. Mists of Akuma is not perfect of course.

The art, while consistently good, is a bit uneven in style. It can also take a while to figure out the adventurers' place in society, though the extensive clan information eases this a bit. With so much information it may be a bit hard to figure out where to start. My advice is to just pick your spot and work from there; don't try and swallow it all at once. These small quibbles do not detract from Mists of Akuma. Absolutely recommend this to anyone seeking a non-traditional game world.

contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
<3 Thank you for the glowing words, Sean! Partly to make a quicker impression for GMs and Players, and partly to support the 2nd Mists of Akuma Kickstarter (launched today with 9 free PDFs!) we released a free Soburin Primer that basically boils down the new attributes (Dignity & Haitoku), reprints Chapters 2 and 3 (world info and culture), and highlights a few of the player options. Had I known I'd have included the Disgraced Amputee (although one of the pregens, Tomoe Masamune, has it so I kind of did maybe?) Instead I went with the Shinobi background, martial artist & tattooed monks, ninja rogues, samurai paladin, and wu-jen warlocks (plus some spells and a few feats). It's a good sampling for anyone on the fence I reckon!

Thanks again for the review! I'm stoked you dug it. :D

Wasn't it just last week that ENWorld ran an article showing concern for Oriental Adventures in this day and age?

I'll add my voice to the quality of this product.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Wasn't it just last week that ENWorld ran an article showing concern for Oriental Adventures in this day and age?

...yeah...what he said. I'm confused as of right now, so I'm going to sit back and wait to see how this is digested by the community and the powers that be.

That said, I was all for a new "Oriental Adventures"...so I'm definitely looking into this! Thanks! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Cool that it's POD through drivethrurpg. I've ordered 3 POD books from them and all have turned out nice with one Hardback being the Rules cyclopedia.

now I'm debating the color or b/w purchase option... might have to lean toward color for the added visuals. Is there many color art pieces in the book?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

I'll add my voice to the quality of this product.

Thank you sir! I said it somewhere in the (craaaazy huge!) thread but the design team was very deliberate and put a lot of thought into how to put the campaign setting together (including a review process with folks in Japan to make sure we hadn't accidentally gone astray). For the next two big books we've got a writer with some Japanese fluency to boot. :D

Hiya.

...yeah...what he said. I'm confused as of right now, so I'm going to sit back and wait to see how this is digested by the community and the powers that be.

That said, I was all for a new "Oriental Adventures"...so I'm definitely looking into this! Thanks! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Please do! The 2nd Kickstarter has a bunch of free things specifically for folks to evaluate the setting and such first before pledging. :)
View attachment 95394

Cool that it's POD through drivethrurpg. I've ordered 3 POD books from them and all have turned out nice with one Hardback being the Rules cyclopedia.

Originally the book was all black and white (or white and black, depending--because noir) and took *forever* to get to print right, and then a few weeks ago (after a year of being just fine) they started getting wonky again so I colorized it (all the adventures are full color and have printed without issue, and my proof for the core came in great).

Mike Myler

now I'm debating the color or b/w purchase option... might have to lean toward color for the added visuals. Is there many color art pieces in the book?

Whoops missed this--the B&W (which is the one *I* prefer) is no longer available because I can't promise it'll be reliably reproduced. That said a lot of people are excited about the color and are really happy with the colorization. I do have to admit that it adds a lot of oomph to the Imperial Dragon and Oni chapters. :)

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for the reply and clarification. I've been enjoying the pdf links in the Kickstarter page. The samurai the crimson blade is a nice read and evocative in making the reader feel like the steam punk (arm) Japanese setting!

just reading up on the iaijustu strike in combination with the dashing strike...holy wuxia type gut spilling strike :) katana, 1d12...plus 3d8 with the iaijustu strike means it a crit if you hit with the dashing strike....ouch!!! It does fit my mental image of samurai running past/through an enemy, the samurai stops while the camera pans to the enemy who is still in disbelief at the attack as they look down and see the blood start to spill like a fountain like a 70s/80s a Shaw Brothers king fu film :). Nicely done!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases