The Journey To...North America, Part Two

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

I spoke to a friend of mine and her words still resonate with me. I asked Susan what she might want in terms of how her people are portrayed in role playing. She replied that she would not want her people's traditions taken for granted. Sacred is sacred. In struggling to find a theme for this article, her words helped me focus in on what is important. So I will begin, before talking about the people, with my "How would I use this?" section.

It is not hard for those of us descended from European, especially Western European ancestry, to relate to the sacred. Stonehenge comes to mind. Beowulf and the legend of Arthur. Joan of Arc. The stand at Thermopylae. Rome at its best and at its worst. A host of cultural touchstones that help give us some common context and cultural language. They literally are sprinkled through our role playing; ideas from history and mythology that fuel how we play.

So if I were going to run a campaign among the North American native tribes, prior to European arrival, it would be heavily focused on those ideas that they found and still find as sacred. It would be an intimate campaign, with no Vecna or dragons or Sauron. Perhaps a band of folk who have suffered loss who wander from place to place, helping others and battling legends. The magic would be subtle and beautiful and full of mystery. It would deal with the idea of what is sacred and how the sacred shapes the lives of the characters. Of course this can be taken into science fiction as well and Shadowrun does some of this with its setting.

What is sacred to the native tribes of North America? A best we can generalize because there are over 500 recognized tribes in the United States, including many in Alaska. Susan mentioned a few things: The Dance, The Ceremony, The Animals, and of course The Land itself. In our modern times issues of land ownership and management have come up again as natural resources are found on tribal lands. To the native peoples, land is more than just a means of making a living or a sign of prosperity. It represents a means of preserving cultural history and identity. Indigenous folk see themselves as protectors of the land and everything associated with it. Equally important are the spiritual and religious aspects of the land and specifically sacred spaces. These sacred places are integral to the tribes spiritual practices and when the land is disrespected, this insults the people and their beliefs. They also believes it angers the land. This should be an important concept in any campaign run using native peoples.

I would recommend talking to native folk about their own tribes and tribal traditions instead of relying on just Internet searches. In general most scholars break the native peoples of North America, excluding Mexico (covered here) into ten different cultural areas. These are the Arctic, Subarctic, Northeast, Southeast, Plains, Southwest, Great Basin, California, Northwest Coast, and Plateau. These cultures had distinct lifestyles from one another, with some being agricultural and others more nomadic. Tragically some have been lost along the way and that is something we should never forget. If we as games masters and content creators can keep them alive in our games, then that is one way of continuing their legacy into the future.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Derren

Hero
Somehow I fail to see what this article wants to say. Maybe its because I have no idea what the author means with "sacred" exactly. Something "sacred" usually means something with a religious meaning or importance. Yet I fail to see how Beowulf or Thermopylae would be considered sacred. "Mythic" might have been the better word.

Also I disagree that a campaign about Tribes in North America necessarily have to be very spiritual. Like with the druid in D&D the spirituality can be mentioned but take a backseat to exploring, diplomacy/politics or warfare among the tribes.

Last edited by a moderator:

In the old days, one could just let their imagination run wild and recklessly mix whatever nonsense from TV, movies, books, fantastical or historical you might recall to create one's own story about another culture. Today, surveying other cultures, particularly non-European cultures, is like walking through a minefield of cultural sensitivities. The recent discussions regarding Chult, Oriental Adventures, and native Americans demonstrate that you really need to do your research lest you run offend representatives of these cultures. My recommendation is that unless you have ready access to a Ph.D in the culture in question you just stay well away. Make up your own culture and make sure it's not really a front for an Earth culture.

Generally, when I run a game I don't treat the germanic, irish, scottish, welsh, french, russian, or meso-american cultures sacredly. It's a game, a fictional world where me and my group want to create a world and generally, mash up settings and era.

We mean not disrespect, we're just rolling dice and having adventures. I respect the plight of the Native American, but I don't understand this notion that you cannot write fantastic stories if you are separate from the culture? I'm not a dwarf, yet I've create clans of dwarves.

I respect if others disagree with me, apparently what out want out of gaming is separate from the author.

In the old days, one could just let their imagination run wild and recklessly mix whatever nonsense from TV, movies, books, fantastical or historical you might recall to create one's own story about another culture. Today, surveying other cultures, particularly non-European cultures, is like walking through a minefield of cultural sensitivities. The recent discussions regarding Chult, Oriental Adventures, and native Americans demonstrate that you really need to do your research lest you run offend representatives of these cultures. My recommendation is that unless you have ready access to a Ph.D in the culture in question you just stay well away. Make up your own culture and make sure it's not really a front for an Earth culture.

Or you could study your market and then gauge how many sales you are truly losing vs the virtue signaling. Yes, there are people who feel that you can't write about a culture unless you are a part of that culture. And then there are other people who don't feel that way. It comes down to which segment is larger for your product and if this mindset fades.

I mean keep in mind that this site ran an article railing against Orient Adventures and then a week later ran an article for (an excellent) campaign for 5E rooted in the Orient.

Eirikrautha

First Post
No one is "voiceless" in role playing games. Anyone can speak through their character or through their adventure. Some players or game masters choose to speak to some ideas, or they choose not to express others. This article is not only based on a flawed premise, but also it seems to suggest that some ideas must be expressed (and only in the ways that the author or others approve of). What RPGs most certainly don't need is less choice.

No one is "voiceless" in role playing games. Anyone can speak through their character or through their adventure. Some players or game masters choose to speak to some ideas, or they choose not to express others. This article is not only based on a flawed premise, but also it seems to suggest that some ideas must be expressed (and only in the ways that the author or others approve of). What RPGs most certainly don't need is less choice.

Thank you. I've run games where players in the autism spectrum, victims of abuse, and those who are bipolar where able to boost and refine their voices.

RPGs are the perfect vehicle to move past our own torments and frailties and to escape the imperfections of our real lives for a few hours while building bonds with others.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
The purpose of the Journey to... articles is really three fold
1. To open up players to potentially other cultures and mythologies for their play
2. To encourage research and respect of those cultures
3. To suggest that in embracing different world views, it might also change the dynamics of how we play, from merely dungeon delving or alien killin to ideas built around actual cultural and social conflicts. It adds a level of verisimilitude.

You may not care for trying something that is outside of, let's just call it "Why You Play". That's fine, no value judgment (really). The articles are not being written to shame anyone, they are being written as simple education. No one is saying "Don't play other cultures", instead we are saying "do so with respect". That really is it.

It is not diversity for diversity sake, which would be a hollow gesture on everyone's part.

The purpose of the Journey to... articles is really three fold
1. To open up players to potentially other cultures and mythologies for their play
2. To encourage research and respect of those cultures
3. To suggest that in embracing different world views, it might also change the dynamics of how we play, from merely dungeon delving or alien killin to ideas built around actual cultural and social conflicts. It adds a level of verisimilitude.

You may not care for trying something that is outside of, let's just call it "Why You Play". That's fine, no value judgment (really). The articles are not being written to shame anyone, they are being written as simple education. No one is saying "Don't play other cultures", instead we are saying "do so with respect". That really is it.

It is not diversity for diversity sake, which would be a hollow gesture on everyone's part.

I respect you taking the time to share your goals.

I think your response, IMO, is stronger than the article in conveying that goal.

The article, from my perspective, chastises the use of different cultures without experience or research. Often, as a DM, I will ad lib an NPC or go off on a different tangent due to a PC's idea. Some sessions we are deep into character growth, some we are silly, and some we are fighting things. For me, the only constant to a gaming session is everyone being comfortable and having fun.

I don't think there is any one true way to play, other than everyone at the table is, again, comfortable.

Don't you know the tale of the rough-face girl? This story is a classic, even for the western children's taste.

* When you are very young you don't notice yet, but after getting older and discovering some things are disapear or being fogorten, then you start to value more the things from the past, and from generations ago, like the folklore tales for children. The culture by our ancestors is a threasure.

About the past and the History, I am not going to be rancorous with Romans, Goths, Muslims, Englishs or Frenchs who invaded, or tried it, Spain, my land.

* Do you remember the characters from Dragonlance Riverwind and Goldmond and their tribe? Lots of times game masters create their "noble savages", wild elves, for example, using the Northamerican indigenous culture as a source of inspiration.

Remove ads

Remove ads