D&D To Introduce Loot Boxes

Following on from the massive popularity and success of Loot Boxes in MMO video games such as Star Wars: Battlefront, WotC has announced that they will be coming to D&D! Loot Boxes, which are priced randomly, will be available from your local game store. Inside, customers will find a randomised selection of items, including inspiration dice, bonus levels, and automatic free completion of the current adventure.

dnd_loot_box.jpg

Amongst the bonus items you will find in a D&D Loot Box is a special Critical Hit Token. WotC lead developer Mark Morles said “We’ve done a lot of study on this. We discovered that the two things players love most of all about D&D are collecting things and critical hits. So we’re combining the concept and allowing them to collect critical hits for a fair price”.

WotC’s Jeremiah Crowford has been answering “sage advice” rules questions on social media and in a semi-regular column for years now. “I’ve always felt we don’t do enough”, Crowford observed. “As a modern role playing games company, we should be even more accessible than we currently are. To that end, in a number of uncommon Loot Boxes, the cellphone numbers of Mark Morles, Christine Firkins, and myself. You will be able to call any of us at any time, day or night, with your rules questions.”

I managed to get hold of a partial list of items:

• Rare Miniatures. Included are the Nuclear Flumph, Intangible Weasel, Giant Giant, and Polka Dragon.
  • Super Advantage Dice. These come in d4s, d6s, d8s, d10s, d12s, d20s, and d100s, and can be used in combat to add to attack rolls. Seasonal colour schemes will ensure that players can only use their super advantage dice during the season for which they were produced.
  • Critical Hit Tokens. Play these tokens during play to automatically turn a hit into a critical hit.
  • D&D Designer Cellphone Number. Use these numbers to ask for rules clarifications day or night.
  • DM Overrides. These special items enable you to override a DM's decision.
  • Level Up. Your character instantly gains a level.
  • Skip Adventure. Using this item enables you to immediately skip to the end of the current adventure.
  • Edition Change. Morles explained this one -- "We recognise that there are many fans of older and future editions of D&D, so we are offering those people the ability to switch the edition of the game for a session. As we all know, it's illegal to play a previous edition of D&D, but these special licenses provide an exception to the usual rules."
  • New PC Classes & Races. Including the Chef, the Clown, the Pacifist, and the Snowman (the latter only available for the Summer season).
You can expect to see four Loot Box seasons per year, and you will need to use your rewards in the correct season.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, man, I'm so excited. I hope my random D&D loot box contains a d20 with an actual 20 on it! My last d20 had five 1's and nothing above 15; I'm so jealous of my party mate who got the d20 with the two extra 19's and a 20.

News of the day:

Hasbro buys Paizo and Games Workshop.

The return of the chronomancers, from AD&D 2nd Ed, with this own settin, placed in the demiplane of Ri-Laganth, created to avoid effects of time paradoxes by crononauts. The chronomancers will can visit alternative timelines of canon D&D worlds, for example a Krynn where the cataclysm was avoided by lord Soth, or Athas where Kalak survived Thitian's treason but he couldn't become a new dragon.

The mini-setting Jakandor will come back in a crossover mini-campaign with Dark Sun, Council of Wyrns and Hollow Earth.

Agreement among Wizards of the Coast and Dreamscarred Press to publish the 5th Ed of "Magic of Incarnum" and "Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords".

IDW publishing announces a limited serie about crossover among Transfomers and Kaladesh (plane of Magic: the Gathering).

My little pony: frienship magic will have got a new spin-off about centauride girls in a fantasy world of sword and sorcery. This setting will be a new canon D&D world.

The "lost episode" of D&D 80s cartoon will be broadcasted with the original recorded voices and like a "prequel" of the upcoming D&D cartoon, now with a new generation of heroes. This time Kareena, Venger's sister, will be the new Dungeon Master.

A new line of articles: Mush-Up, where D&D are mixed with other titles, from example 7th Sea and Red Steel/Savage Coast.

G.R.R Martin will write a "homebrew" version of Aebrynis, the world of Birthright settin.

The new great project of Wizards of the Coast is "d20 Universal", a new d20 Modern with lots of radical changes. It will use dices of 14, 16 and 18 sides, and the abilities will be Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha but also new ones: Astuteness, Courage, Grace (mixture of karma, fate and luck) and Technique. The progress of the characters will be divided in level of power and level of knowledge. The intention is allowing an easy adaptation from other systems, and games where PCs can start being superheroes with a great level of power, but in the beginning still they have to improve their level of knowledge.

Onyx Path and Nosolorol (a Spanish publisher company) will work together to create a version of "Changeling: the Dreaming" adapted to little children, with a simple game system very similar to "Magissa rpg".

Koloth

First Post
In other news, SJG is suing Hasbro for infringement due to borrowing several concepts from the Munchkin line of card games for inclusion in the D&D Loot boxes.

CapnZapp

Legend
[*]DM Overrides. These special items enable you to override a DM's decision.
[*]Level Up. Your character instantly gains a level.
You shouldn't joke about that, Morrus.

I know my adventurers would snatch them up right away with a completely straight face...

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases