Sean's Picks of the Week (0403-0406) - Community Content Week!

The mechanisms (legal, financial, and production-wise) WotC crafted with DriveThruRPG for the Dungeon Masters Guild launched a whole new concept in our hobby and industry. Community created content has always been a part of gaming (see the Perrin Conventions of 1976), but never has the concept been so well-supported - encouraged, even - to include the capacity for fans to actually earn money for the things they create in support of their favorite systems and settings. This week was a celebration of that rather powerful set of tools.

PUGMIRE: CANIS MINOR

This week is Community Content Week as I focus on (a) all the new material fans of various systems and settings are bringing out for you to enjoy and (b) how you can get in on creation material, as well. We open up with Canis Minor, the program for fans of Pugmire to craft new ideas, adventures, and other material for this most excellent fantasy setting by Eddy Webb.

Welcome to Pugmire: Canis Minor!

As a Guide for Pugmire, you might be looking for something new for your chronicle. A new story, perhaps, or some new enemies to thwart your good dogs. Or maybe you’ve come up with something amazing, and you want to share it with the world. Canis Minor can help!

Canis Minor is our imprint that allows you — our Pugmire community — to create and sell self-published material for the Pugmire roleplaying game. You can offer your work for free, set a price, or make it pay-what-you-want. We’ll give you some resources to help you out, and a marketplace for other Pugmire fans to use.

If you’re just a busy Guide who needs a little something extra, you’ll find ready-to-run stories, along with enemies and non-player characters to menace your players with. You can also find new spells and tricks, in case you want to throw your players a bone. And that’s only the beginning!

How do I publish content for the Canis Minor?

Your first step is to read the Canis Minor Content Guidelines and our Frequently Asked Questions, to get a sense of what you can and can’t put up for sale. Our creator resources include templates and artwork for you to use that meet our specifications for Canis Minor content.

After creating your content, go to your account page and look in the “My Content” section. You can use the “Add a new title” link after you agree to the Community Content Agreement.

Once content is published, it can be found with the rest of the Canis Minor. You’ll be able to check your sales history, view reviews, and check on book royalties using your Account page on DriveThruRPG. The My Money section of your Account page will allow you to withdraw royalties via PayPal.

INFINIVERSE EXCHANGE

As I have not one but two Game Masters about to start up some Torg Eternity campaign action around these parts, I am naturally very keen about the Infiniverse Exchange that Ulisses North America set up for folks to indulge their creativity in this realm of infinite possibilities. Another selection for Community Content Week, this one opens the door for all of those great ideas you might think up playing the current version, or all the ideas you had the first time you played Torg all those years ago.

Welcome to the Infiniverse Exchange!

The Infiniverse Exchange is a program that allows you to create content (Adventures, Places, Threats, and more!) for Torg Eternity using the intellectual property of Ulisses North America. Create your own Torg Eternity titles according to the content guidelines of the program, upload your titles to the Ulisses e-book marketplace or to DriveThruRPG and share them with other Torg Fans. You can earn money and delight the community.

How do I start?

To participate, you just have to read the Content Guidelines and create your own content. Ulisses has made a Layout-Building-Kit and a Illustrations-Pack available, which allow you to ensure that your titles look great.

Once you have created your title, visit the Account page and look in the My Content section. There you will find the link “Enter New Community Created Title”. If you upload a new title, you must agree to a community content author agreement with OneBookShelf. OneBookShelf is the US company that manages DriveThruRPG. It also manages the Infiniverse Exchange program (licensed under Ulisses North America).

After you have published your work, all Infiniverse Exchange content is available at DriveThruRPG and RPGNow. You can view reviews and fan discussions of your works, and from the Account page you can check the sales history of your titles and withdraw your royalties through PayPal. To boost sales, we advise you to create an eye-catching title for your work and some publicity on social networks and other reputable media where you can find Torg fans.

To see what Torg Eternity Fans have created as part of the Infiniverse Exchange Program, look at the titles (at the bottom of the linked page).

7TH SEA EXPLORER'S SOCIETY

As we continue our exploration of Community Content Week here at the SPOD, today’s nod goes to the Explorer’s Society, which supports the massively-successful revival of 7th Sea. Those who wish to add to the wonder, intrigue, and adventure of Theah will find this to be an excellent gateway for their voyages.

Welcome to the 7th Sea Explorer’s Society!

Are you a 7th Sea GM in search of new adventures on the high seas? A player looking for heroic inspiration? A gaming group excited to hack the core rules?

The Explorer’s Society is a digital platform for creating self-published content for 7th Sea: 2nd Edition—like adventures, homebrew rules, characters, and more. As a creator, you can share your content free of charge, set a price that feels right for you, or choose a pay-what-you-want option.

What kind of content can I find here?

You can expect to find adventures, rules hacks, heroes and villains for jumpstarting your campaigns, and any number of new traits, backgrounds, advantages, and skills. Looking for new dueling moves? How about forbidden sorceries and secret societies? You can find those here, too!

For a complete list of what is and isn’t allowed in the Explorer’s Society, review our content guidelines here.

How do I start publishing content?

You’ll want to start by reading over the Explorer’s Society Content Guidelines. Then, check out our creator resources. We’ve made layout templates and artwork available to make creating easier for you, and to ensure all Explorer’s Society meets our specifications.

After creating your title, visit the account page and look in the “My Content” section. There you will find the link “Add a new title”. You must agree to the Community Content Agreement in order to upload a new title.

After publication, all Explorer’s Society content is available here. Here you can check sales history, view reviews and fan discussions of your work, and book royalties through PayPal. We’ve created a helpful guide for sharing your work with the world, which includes advice on creating eye-catching titles and finding publicity on social media.

Revenue for Explorer’s Society content is split between you, OneBookShelf (the company that manages DriveThruRPG), and John Wick Presents. We’ll split the revenues with you 50/50, after OneBookShelf takes their share for running the site.

Since I missed Monday (I was a guest lecturer at the United States Air Force Academy, if you can believe that!), I’m giving you a double-dip today as we close out Community Content Week. Robert J. Schwalb opens up the world of his Shadow of the Demon Lord for you to play around in (and try not to lose your sanity in the process!), while Russ Morrissey welcomes you to create anything and everything (old, new, in between) for WOIN (What’s Old Is New).

DISCIPLES OF THE DEMON LORD

Welcome to the Shadow of the Demon Lord Creative Community!

Looking for more ways to fight the Demon Lord? Desperate to explore new parts of Rûl, uncover mysteries, encounter strangeness that will drive you insane? Then this place is for you! The Disciples of the Demon Lord is a digital platform for creating self-published adventure content for Shadow of the Demon Lord. As a creator, you can share your content free of charge, set a price that feels right for you, or choose a pay-what-you-want option.

What kind of content can I find here?

The Disciples of the Demon Lord program enables creators to produce adventure content for Shadow of the Demon Lord. Such content includes adventures, places to explore, and foes to fight. If you’re looking for the next great story to vex your groups, you’re bound to find it here.

For a complete list of what is and isn’t allowed in Disciples of the Demon Lord, review our content guidelines here.

How do I start publishing content?

Get started by reading over the Disciples of the Demon Lord Content Guidelines. We’ve made layout templates available to make creating easier for you, and to ensure all Disciples of the Demon Lord content meets our specifications.

After creating your title, visit the account page and look in the “My Content” section. There you will find the link “Add a new title.” You must agree to the Community Content Agreement in order to upload a new title.

After publication, all Disciples of the Demon Lord content is available here. Check sales history, view reviews and fan discussions of your work, and book royalties through PayPal. We give you a few pointers on how to publicize your product and ensure that it hits the right tone our fans expect.

Revenue for Disciples of the Demon Lord content is split between you, OneBookShelf (the company that manages DriveThruRPG), and Schwalb Entertainment. You take half of the profits and we divide the rest between us and OneBookShelf as the Demon Lord demands.

WOIN COMMUNITY PUBLISHING SYNDICATE

Welcome to the WOIN Community Publishing Syndicate (WCPS)!

Looking for new content for your WOIN campaign? Or do you want to publish and sell your own adventures, sourcebooks, rules, settings, monsters, or more?

The WOIN Community Publishing Syndicate is where fans and publishers alike can release and sell their own WOIN-compatible products, from 2-page articles to full-fledged books! We positively encourage fan and third-party content, and we’re committed to helping you sell it!

What type of product can I find in the WCPS?

Here you’ll find any kind of product! You can find articles, rulebooks, adventures, careers, monsters, spells, exploits, starships, and more.

You can even find third party products designed to work with our settings, such as The Cauldron, and ZEITGEIST. And, of course, you’ll find new settings here, too, created by fans and third party publishers.

Do you want to publish in the WCPS?

You are welcome to publish your own content in the WCPS! We even help you by providing free artwork you can use in your products, style guides, and other resources. We really want to make it easy for you. There aren’t many restrictions on what you can publish. Adventures, settings, rules, anything you like – the only thing we ask you not to publish here in the WCPS are standalone core rulebooks.

You don’t need to learn any complicated licences. You don’t even need to worry about “open gaming content” or anything – the entire contents of any official WOIN book (save artwork, or content from properties we ourselves have licensed from elsewhere) is yours to use as long as you don’t distribute it outside the WCPS.

You can set any price you wish for your items, or you can make them free. The proceeds are split between DriveThruRPG (the store hosting this platform), EN Publishing, and you.

Just check out our Content Guidelines, and the free creator resources we’ve already uploaded to the WCPS for you.After creating your title as a download-ready file, visit your account page and look in the “My Content” section. There you will find the link “Add a new title”. You must agree to the Community Content Agreement in order to upload your new title. After publication, all WCPS content is available here. You can check sales history, view reviews and fan discussions of your work, and book royalties through PayPal by clicking on the Account tap at the top of the page and selecting My Content.

-----

As of this writing, we're less than four days from the end of the Freedom Squadron Kickstarter. We've unlocked some fun stuff, including the Law Enforcement Officer Vocation Framework, which I'll share with you here. Hopefully you've enjoyed the ride thus far, and thanks for your patience with my promotion of it, and your kind support.

Bowser & Pitt, laying down the law!

Law Enforcement Officer

They protect, and they serve their community, willing to risk death every day in order to see society stand firm against the forces of criminality and brutality. Where the Soldier trains for combat, and the Special Agent trains for investigations and intelligence work, the Law Enforcement Officer combines an increasingly complex array of skills in order to do their job, all while facing challenges from every direction.

Not everyone is cut out for such work, and not every department or unit provides the kind of guidance or training that makes for a truly outstanding officer of the law. The best of them, however, are exactly who General Steel wants in the ranks of Freedom Squadron, helping provide effective security and peacekeeping around the world.

Hero's Journey (Three Rolls)

Despite a core of training that all Law Enforcement Officers are likely to receive, there's still a great variety of directions individuals might take to enhance their effectiveness. As well, there are specializations that various departments require, both in terms of types of crimes investigated and how areas are policed. The charts a Law Enforcement Officer may roll on for two of their rolls are Close Quarters Combat, Infantry, Intelligence, Logistics, Mechanized, Naval Operations, Physical Training, Search & Rescue, and Special Operations. For their remaining roll, any chart except Black Ops is appropriate.

Law Enforcement Officer Abilities and Bonuses

The "LEOs" that come to Freedom Squadron are those who took advantage of all training opportunities across various necessary disciplines to be the best at what they do.

• Apprehend & Detain: At any time, a Law Enforcement Officer may be required to stop and secure a suspect under intense circumstances. Sometimes it comes down to effective verbal commands, sometimes more physical means. LEOs have d6 in Fighting and Intimidation.
  • Community Policing: The Law Enforcement Officers recruited by Freedom Squadron are those who understand a key part of policing is working with local communities to understand needs and best practices. They have a d6 in Persuasion and Focus: Community Policing*.
  • Criminal Investigation: First on the scene of any crime, a good Law Enforcement Officer is the best friend any investigator could ask for—and likely a detective in the making. Many are full detectives by the time Freedom Squadron comes calling, in fact. They start with a d6 in Investigation, Notice, and Streetwise.
  • Firearms Training: No Law Enforcement Officer enters the field without adequate training in use of their sidearm. They have a d6 Shooting and Focus: Pistols.

(*) - As a reminder about how Focuses work, in this case Community Policing would grant a +1 to Investigation, Notice, Persuasion, and Streetwise rolls where the LEO's engagement with the community might be helpful.

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, Freedom Squadron, and much more!
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Thanks for this Sean. There are refreshing developments - glad to see WOIN too. I'd like to see yet another article featuring other Community Content venues.

Three years ago I was hounded on EN World forums for advocating that WotC open up their setting IP for fan-published commercial sales. I spoke from a standpoint of the Free Culture movement. Nearly all of the wise-guys rolled their eyes, sneered, and said it was "impossible"...that I was wishing for a pony. Two of my threads got shut down. Now look.

To see the presentations I made back then:

From Open Gaming to Free Culture: For a Third Golden Age of roleplay

FREE D&D! and D&D COMPATIBLE: two new licenses for 2015

Last edited by a moderator:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
This is awesome. I only just found this. Thank you.

Also for the Cypher System.

WOuld LOVE for the folks at Fria Ligan / Free League to open up the Year Zero System for this. I have converted a lot of material to that system.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases