Pathfinder 2's New Alchemist Class Previewed!
  • Pathfinder 2's New Alchemist Class Previewed!

Following up on the fighter and the rogue, Paizo has posted a preview of Pathfinder 2nd Edition's Alchemist class!

By Wayne Reynolds

• Alchemist Class Preview --
      • Alchemist and oracle are the most popular character classes.
      • Alchemist features --
        • Alchemical Crafter (it's Crafting skill feat, but the alchemist gets it for free)
        • Four bonus formula (plus the four from the Alchemical Crafter feat) + 2 each level.
        • Quick alchemy action.
        • Spend resonance to create alchemical objects on the fly.
        • Empower Bomb (3rd level) -- multiples bomb damage. Multiplier increases with level to 6x at 19th level.
        • Mutagens (5th level).
        • Craft free poisons each day; can also heal and disable traps.

• Class Feats --
        • Efficient Alchemy (4th level) -- create more items during downtime.
        • Enduring Alchemy (4th level) -- improves Quick Alchemy by making items last longer.
        • Calculated Splash (4th level) -- Int mod smash damage rather than 1 splash damage.
        • Powerful Alchemy (6th level) -- increase effect DC of items.
        • Precise Bomb (6th level) -- hit enemies only with splash damage.
        • Debilitating Bomb (6th level) -- inflict conditions; has greater versions a 10th and 14th level.
        • Feral Mutagen (8th level) -- gives teeth and claws, boosting Intimidate checks.
        • Stalker Mutagen (10th level) -- enhances stealth, allow movement at full speed.
        • Improbable Elixirs (18th level) -- create potions.
        • Perfect Mutagen (18th level) -- ignore mutagen drawbacks.

• There's also an interview about the Alchemist with Paizo's Stephen Radney-McFarland over at TechRaptor.

SaveSaveSaveSave
    SaveSave
    Comments 40 Comments
      LuisCarlos17f -
      Is there any archetype to play an alchemist with incarnum/akasha soulmelds?
      Morrus -
      Thanks!
      TerraDave -
      Thanks, this was much more interesting then the preview.
      Arakasius -
      Seems pretty clear theyíre not frontloading the classes so much anymore. Weíve seen this now with several different class blogs with class feats pushed back to later levels then their equivalents in PF1. This should give more of a distinction to non caster classes in different tiers of play since gone will be ďget all class features by level 2/3 and then just increase numbers on themĒ. Good idea anyway, I just hope they make them powerful enough to offset non frontloading non caster abilities. The magic weapon changes and iterative attacks on level one do help with that I guess now that I think.

Edit: Also seems one level multi class dips are much weaker. Many people would dip alchemist one for mutagen and free stats. This obviously wonít be possible anymore.
      Lord Mhoram -
      Quote Originally Posted by LuisCarlos17f View Post
      Is there any archetype to play an alchemist with incarnum/akasha soulmelds?
      Given that the Akasha material was a 3rd Party product, no I don't expect to see one anywhere in the playtest.
      LuisCarlos17f -
      Of course it isn't, but the alchemist is in the SRD with the rest of classes.
      EthanSental -
      Kind of surprised that alchemist and oracle are most popular classes in PF1.
      Charlaquin -
      The most interesting tidbit to me in there was that Alchemists use Intelligence instead of Charisma for their Resomance. So for folks who were worried about the charming fighter being able to use more magic items than the cumudgeonly wizard, this opens the possibility of that not being the case. I wonder how many classes will use non-Charisma Abilities for Resonance.
      Ancalagon -
      I'm *very* curious about how they are going to balance this class, "spellcasting" wise.

It's always been a challenge with alchemists because the "◊ spells per day" mechanic feels contrived. I see that their quickened alchemy has a per day limit, but what about items created in down time? Could an alchemist start an adventure with 100 bombs? How will that be balanced?

I am very curious to see how this turns out!
      Lord Mhoram -
      Quote Originally Posted by LuisCarlos17f View Post
      Of course it isn't, but the alchemist is in the SRD with the rest of classes.
      Akashic Mysteries doesn't seem to have one. The City of 7 Seraphs (upcoming) has a bunch of new Akashic material in it, it might have one.
      Charlaquin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      I'm *very* curious about how they are going to balance this class, "spellcasting" wise.

It's always been a challenge with alchemists because the "◊ spells per day" mechanic feels contrived. I see that their quickened alchemy has a per day limit, but what about items created in down time? Could an alchemist start an adventure with 100 bombs? How will that be balanced?

I am very curious to see how this turns out!
      Honestly, Iím not sure theyíll need to limit the amount you can craft in downtime to balance it. If bomb damage scales similarly to weapon damage for fighters, they can just assume you always have bombs. We donít know how poisons work yet, but Iíd assume they donít stack, so having 100 poisons in your back pocket might only mean your weapons are consistently poisoned rather than loaded up with tons of poisons. And if Elixirs cost Resonance to use, then theyíre already limited per day without having to restrict hoe many the Alchemist can craft or carry.
      Ancalagon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Honestly, Iím not sure theyíll need to limit the amount you can craft in downtime to balance it. If bomb damage scales similarly to weapon damage for fighters, they can just assume you always have bombs. We donít know how poisons work yet, but Iíd assume they donít stack, so having 100 poisons in your back pocket might only mean your weapons are consistently poisoned rather than loaded up with tons of poisons. And if Elixirs cost Resonance to use, then theyíre already limited per day without having to restrict hoe many the Alchemist can craft or carry.
      Elixirs definitely cost resonance if made with quick alchemy... but I don't know if that is mandatory. Can you make an elixir your downtime? Can any items? Can they be purchased and used? Used by someone else?
      Arakasius -
      In the thread there they said they can be used by others. They gave the example of making mutagens for your entire party.

Also fairly clear theyíre moving to resonance as a single tracking option to power magical effects, whether that be making alchemical items or using magic items.
      Charlaquin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      Elixirs definitely cost resonance if made with quick alchemy... but I don't know if that is mandatory. Can you make an elixir your downtime? Can any items? Can they be purchased and used? Used by someone else?
      I donít mean to make, I mean to use. So, assuming you can make unlimited elixirs given enough money and downtime, their use is still limited by the partyís Resonance. You might have 100 Elixirs of Life, but if each party member can only benefit from CHA + Level of them per day, and doing so comes at the opportunity cost of using their magic items, then all the extras only mean youíll have them for the next day.

We already know from the podcast that Elixirs of Life cost Resonance to drink, except for the Alchemist who crafted them. And that might be because he already spent a Resonance to make it with Quick Alchemy. Iíd bet that if you make it during downtime you still have to spend Resonance to drink it.
    1. Adso -
      Quote Originally Posted by EthanSental View Post
      Kind of surprised that alchemist and oracle are most popular classes in PF1.
      The most popular classes outside those in the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook.
      Aldarc -
      The most interesting tidbit to me in there was that Alchemists use Intelligence instead of Charisma for their Resomance. So for folks who were worried about the charming fighter being able to use more magic items than the cumudgeonly wizard, this opens the possibility of that not being the case. I wonder how many classes will use non-Charisma Abilities for Resonance.
      I actually hope that the curmudgeonly wizard is NOT as good with magic items. I like the idea that wizards may have a better theoretical grasp of magic and magic items, but that some people, such as bards, sorcerers, or the charming fighter actually are better than the wizard at using magic items. Otherwise its just more of the same "wizards are the best at everything" schtick that we had.
      Charlaquin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aldarc View Post
      I actually hope that the curmudgeonly wizard is NOT as good with magic items. I like the idea that wizards may have a better theoretical grasp of magic and magic items, but that some people, such as bards, sorcerers, or the charming fighter actually are better than the wizard at using magic items. Otherwise its just more of the same "wizards are the best at everything" schtick that we had.
      Sure, sure. Itís really too soon to tell. Just saying, the fact that the Alchemist uses INT for Resonance opens the door for other classes to use other non-CHA attributes, so itíll be interesting to see what they do.
      Ancalagon -
      If the alchemist has to use resonance for his powers, he might be "the worse" at magical items....
      Shasarak -
      Personally I love how Charisma makes the most sense for innate magic that Resonance is supposed to represent except that Alchemists need it for their core class features so for them Intelligence makes the most sense for representing innate magic.

So now Rogues need to use Resonance so we better let them use Dex for their Resonance total and Fighters should naturally be able to use their Str to hit more Resonance out of their magical items. Honestly Resonance is just looking worse and worse.
    Comments Leave Comment