Check out the Astral Deadnought from Mordenkainen's Tome

WotC's Nathan Stewart celebrated hitting 5,000 Twitter followers by sharing a page from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, the upcoming D&D book due for release next month. The art gloriously evokes Jeff Easley's art from the cover of 1987's Manual of the Planes (a monster originally called an "ethereal dreadnought" and changed to "astral dreadnought" in D&D 2E).

DahYYfRVMAAikU0.jpg

motp.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Gloriously dangerous. The Demiplanar Donjon means that someone that gets swallowed is pretty much on their own to make their death saves, or not.

Though my favorite illustration will be the 1e Manual of the Planes cover, this one does it justice.

MarkB

Legend
I haven't looked at many really high-level monsters, but 297 hp kind-of feels low. You could whittle that down even with just up-levelled fireballs and lightning bolts pretty quickly, and in any environment large enough to accommodate this thing, its anti-magic cone isn't going to be able to keep high-level spellcasters locked down very easily.

I definitely want to see an Astral Deadnought, though - they sound awesome.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
ah, my players call BS when I throw more than 4 goblins at them. Cant wait to use this one, they'll know the true meaning of fear :p

Is that supposed to be scary? Its big three-legendary-action special ability does 15 damage, with a save for half.

A level 20 barbarian could take this thing in a fight. It just doesn't have the numbers. I guess the anti-magic cone is supposed to be scary, but that only works in one direction at a time, and there's nothing stopping you from just running in a circle around it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Its low. The DMG recommends 400-445 for a cr 21 monster. And an AC of 19 vs. the 20 it has.

You are forgetting about damage resist and offensive CR.

Is that supposed to be scary? It's big three-legendary-action special ability does 15 damage, with a save for half.

A level 20 barbarian could take this thing in a fight. It just doesn't have the numbers. I guess the anti-magic cone is supposed to be scary, but that only works in one direction at a time, and there's nothing stopping you from just running in a circle around it.

It's harder to run around the Antimagic cone when you are far away. But yeah it's damage seems a bit low. And while it does have quite a bit of HP it's actually slightly lower then the One CR Below it Pit Fiend.

I haven't looked at many really high-level monsters, but 297 hp kind-of feels low. You could whittle that down even with just up-levelled fireballs and lightning bolts pretty quickly, and in any environment large enough to accommodate this thing, its anti-magic cone isn't going to be able to keep high-level spellcasters locked down very easily.
I definitely want to see an Astral Deadnought, though - they sound awesome.

How you you going to toss the Fireballs and Lightning Bolts at it when you are in the Anti Magic Cone.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases