Dragon+ Celebrates 30 Years Of Drizzt

https://twitter.com/wizards_dnd/status/987072462948093952?s=21

darjr

I crit!
He's a divisive figure -- some love him; others hate him. But everybody knows who he is. The Crystal Shard came out 30 years ago, introducing the conflicted drow ranger Drizzt Do'Urden to the world. This issue of WotC's in-house e-magazine celebrates his 30th anniversary, along with some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancelot

Adventurer
Moloch's a nasty piece of business, if handled well by the DM.

Enter combat with fly already active. Drop the DC 21 fear breath on the primary fighters. Then start splitting the party. Teleport 120' away from any un-frightened PCs at the end of the first player's turn using a Legendary action to avoid attacks; teleport back in and start dragging away the party healer with whip attacks to separate him from the rest. Keep using a combo of whip attacks and teleports to bounce all over the battlefield; forever remain out of reach of the barbarians, paladins and melee fighters; use Legendary Resistance / Magic Resistance / High Save Bonuses to ignore the spellcasters. Any PC with low Con saves gets a DC 21 stinking cloud as a Legendary action, effectively stunning them. Ouch.

If all else fails, get a big round of attacks off... and then Moloch uses his next 3 Legendary actions to teleport 360' away. Out of range of any radiant attacks, he regenerates 20 HP per round until fully healed - then resumes the assault.

As long as the DM uses Moloch as a hit-and-run assailant, I could see him absolutely wrecking a typical 16th level party.

dave2008

Legend
Moloch's a nasty piece of business, if handled well by the DM.

Enter combat with fly already active. Drop the DC 21 fear breath on the primary fighters. Then start splitting the party. Teleport 120' away from any un-frightened PCs at the end of the first player's turn using a Legendary action to avoid attacks; teleport back in and start dragging away the party healer with whip attacks to separate him from the rest. Keep using a combo of whip attacks and teleports to bounce all over the battlefield; forever remain out of reach of the barbarians, paladins and melee fighters; use Legendary Resistance / Magic Resistance / High Save Bonuses to ignore the spellcasters. Any PC with low Con saves gets a DC 21 stinking cloud as a Legendary action, effectively stunning them. Ouch.

If all else fails, get a big round of attacks off... and then Moloch uses his next 3 Legendary actions to teleport 360' away. Out of range of any radiant attacks, he regenerates 20 HP per round until fully healed - then resumes the assault.

As long as the DM uses Moloch as a hit-and-run assailant, I could see him absolutely wrecking a typical 16th level party.

Nice analysis. My first thought was he is under powered (which he is in a way), but I did notice the 120' teleport legendary action. As long as he can avoid being locked down he does have the tools to be a pain in the behind. Could be a nice reoccurring villain:
1) PCs encounter him at 10-12 and have to retreat
2) PCs encounter him at 15-16 and are harassed, but ultimately he retreats
3) PCs encounter him at 17-20 and he has magic armor and/or shield (AC 24), beefed up magic whip (+18 to hit, 21 slashing + 22 lightning, 3 attacks: 126 DPR), add a parry reaction (a la marilith), increase burning hands to 9th-level, and max hit points (352). Throw in a few minions and you got yourself a stew!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads