Here's the Abyssal Sibriex From Mordenkainen's Tome

darjr

I crit!
The Sibriex, which first appeared in 2006, is a demon which is featured in the upcoming Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Check out its entry below, courtesy of WotC's Nathan Stewart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erechel

Explorer
Except for the sad hit points (it don't even have enough movement to get away), it is excelent. Love, absolutely love Warp Creature. It is the first monster that does use of Exhaustion levels.

dave2008

Legend
I really like this a lot, but it is an odd glass canon. I have to agree with [MENTION=6784868]Erechel[/MENTION] to few hit points. It does bump out at least 200 DPR which is really high, but it will not last long.

darjr

I crit!
It's best used as a guy who want's to run and has lieutenants that are going to go to the deep dark to protect him, to keep the players away. Finally terrain, super important.

Dausuul

Legend
This is another one like Moloch; the hit points look pathetic for a creature of its level, but it has more defenses than you'd think. The key is the legendary actions. Because of them, the sibriex is guaranteed to go second, no matter how badly it gets beaten on initiative. And one of its legendary actions is "Cast a spell." Any spell it's got. And most of its spells are at-will.

So the rogue wins initiative and lays down a heap of damage.
The sibriex, seeing that the fighter is next, hits the fighter with hold monster at DC 21.
The fighter lies there paralyzed.
The sibriex hits the cleric with feeblemind.
The cleric blabbers uselessly.
The sibriex hits the wizard with command.
The wizard falls prone and ends his turn.
Then, on its turn, the sibriex blasts the party with Warp Creature.
The rogue gets to go again, but now she has disadvantage from the poisoned condition and can't sneak attack.
And the debuffs just keep on coming, three per round, every round, while everyone is accumulating exhaustion and poison damage. Over and over and over.

...God, this monster is evil. It's horrible. Players will hate it sooooooo much.

I love it.

(It won't be quite as bad as all that, since PCs will occasionally make a saving throw. But hold monster at will means the sibriex can keep one PC paralyzed indefinitely--as soon as they save, it just casts it again. And each time the sibriex is able to make feeblemind stick, it takes a caster out of the fight completely and permanently. Fighting through the barrage of debuffs to deal 150 points of damage will not be easy, especially given the sibriex's AC, magic resistance, and Legendary Resistance.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Erechel

Explorer
This is another one like Moloch; the hit points look pathetic for a creature of its level, but it has more defenses than you'd think. The key is the legendary actions. Because of them, the sibriex is guaranteed to go second, no matter how badly it gets beaten on initiative. And one of its legendary actions is "Cast a spell." Any spell it's got. And most of its spells are at-will.

So the rogue wins initiative and lays down a heap of damage.
The sibriex, seeing that the fighter is next, hits the fighter with hold monster at DC 21.
The fighter lies there paralyzed.
The sibriex hits the wizard with feeblemind.
The wizard blabbers uselessly.
The sibriex hits the cleric with command.
The cleric falls prone and ends his turn.
Then, on its turn, the sibriex blasts the party with Warp Creature.
The rogue gets to go again, but now she has disadvantage from the poisoned condition and can't sneak attack.
And the debuffs just keep on coming, three per round, every round, while everyone is accumulating exhaustion and poison damage. Over and over and over.

...God, this monster is evil. It's horrible. Players will hate it sooooooo much.

I love it.

(It won't be quite as bad as all that, since PCs will occasionally make a saving throw. But hold monster at will means the sibriex can keep one PC paralyzed indefinitely--as soon as they save, it just casts it again. And each time the sibriex is able to make feeblemind stick, it takes a caster out of the fight completely and permanently. Fighting through the barrage of debuffs to deal 150 points of damage will not be easy, especially given the sibriex's AC, magic resistance, and Legendary Resistance.)

I'm betting that Feeblemind is a better suit for the fighter, as it is an intelligence save. The wizard is more prone to succeed on such a save. Wizard could be better suited to a Squirt Vile.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm betting that Feeblemind is a better suit for the fighter, as it is an intelligence save. The wizard is more prone to succeed on such a save. Wizard could be better suited to a Squirt Vile.

I realized after checking feeblemind that the wizard is a poor target... but the cleric is perfect. No proficiency, probably dumped Int, full caster, and the cleric is the only one who can remove the sibriex's debuffs. The wizard can eat command, and if that fails, just chew on the sibriex's Magic Resistance and LR for a bit.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases