Fantasy Grounds Ruleset Usage Q1 2018 -- All Holding Steady!
  • Fantasy Grounds Ruleset Usage Q1 2018 -- All Holding Steady!

Fantasy Grounds has sent over its Q1 2018 usage reports, broken down by game system. No real surprises -- D&D 5E is way in the lead as usual, followed by Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and then D&D 3.5. with very little change in their percentage shares since 2017. However, the total number of games is up!

Ruleset Total Games
    5E 426,411
    PFRPG 80,819
    SavageWorlds 36,904
    3.5E 20,687
    CoreRPG 13,451
    Call Of Cthulhu 10,684
    4E 9,930
    MoreCore 9,875
    Star Wars EotE 8,393
    GURPS 5,475
    SFRPG 4,280
    Castles and Crusades 4,063
    AD&D 3,412
    DSA 3,348
    WFRP 3,335
    RolemasterClassic 2,817
    Fate Core 2,370
    WH40K 2,360
    Numenera 2,257
    VtM 1,949
    Basic Roleplaying 1,231
    Mutants and Masterminds 980
    Shadowrun 976
    d20 Modern 928
    World of Darkness 847
    Grand Total 657,782

"CoreRPG" is the default module used for multiple game system without specific modules of their own. For those looking for Starfinder, the Starfinder module for Fantasy Grounds only launched in February, so it should feature prominently in the next quarter's statistics (the offline version outpaced Pathfinder in ICv2's Fall 2017 list).

You can see the full stats for 2017 here. D&D 5E is up 1% to 65%, Pathfinder holds steady at 12%, as does Savage Worlds at 6%. D&D 3.5 has dropped 1% to 3%. Total games has increased by just over 38K (about 6%) from 619,481 to 657,782.
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. Kobold Boots -
      Does the data reflect active games with at least one session during the quarter or total games within the environment as logged by subscribed DMs regardless of activity?

Be well
      KB
    1. Yaarel -
      [Article answers question at end.]
    1. Wrathamon -
      Those are step function increases for 5e. Wonder what generated the increase.
      unnatural 20 -
      Interesting. With that many players and so few on the FG Lfg forums, it appears most have a group in mind before jumping in.
    1. Kobold Boots -
      Quote Originally Posted by unnatural 20 View Post
      Interesting. With that many players and so few on the FG Lfg forums, it appears most have a group in mind before jumping in.
      Yeah, it's likely very DM driven.

I'm presently learning FG and already have my group formed for when we go live with it.
      Kite474 -
      Not really surprising. 5e is the 80-pound gorilla and the rest of the world is... I guess making it ok? depends if you see lack of growth as acceptable or not.

I'll admit I was not expecting to see savage world so high.
      jimmifett -
      Doesn't cover genesys since it uses a barely modified Star Wars EotE engine that still registers as star wars
      TheBlueKnight -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
      Christmas? Sales, etc...
      Parmandur -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
      Book releases, specifically Xanathars Guide.
      osarusan -
      I'm still wishing for a HackMaster 5e ruleset. It will probably never come.
    1. BoneMan -
      3.5 til death do us part...
      Erdric Dragin -
      No wonder Pathfinder wants PF2e. They want those numbers and think a new edition will help. Short term only though.
      Xavian Starsider -
      Quote Originally Posted by Erdric Dragin View Post
      No wonder Pathfinder wants PF2e. They want those numbers and think a new edition will help. Short term only though.
      Yeah but we all known what happened when WotC decided it needed a new ruleset after ten popular years with the 3e/3.5 ruleset. Now Paizo is doing the same thing, and if they aren't careful, they might get those numbers!
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xavian Starsider View Post
      Yeah but we all known what happened when WotC decided it needed a new ruleset after ten popular years with the 3e/3.5 ruleset. Now Paizo is doing the same thing, and if they aren't careful, they might get those numbers!
      Quick! Email Lisa Stevens! She can still call this off!
      damned -
      Quote Originally Posted by unnatural 20 View Post
      Most groups are long running and need to do very little recruiting.
      For example one of my groups have been running for over 7 years on Fantasy Grounds - of course there has been attrition and replacement - but very little recruiting activity for the number of sessions. The other group has been going for around 2 years and is in a similar boat.
    Comments Leave Comment