Preview of Halflings And Gnomes From Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes Surface Online

Over at Polygon they have some interesting preview images from the upcoming Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from Wizards of the Coast. Among the things that we will see in the new book will be some expansions to halflings and gnomes. The word is that there aren't any major revisions to the races, but that the new content will build upon what is already in the Player's Handbook.

They say about the book "Tome of Foes is narrated by Mordenkainen, a wizard created by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax for his World of Greyhawk campaign. It will contain lots of new content for the 5th edition, including a lengthy investigation of demons, devils, several kinds of elves and duergar, the infamous dark dwarves."

"Also included in the book will be new tools for building player characters, including halflings and gnomes. Both races of tiny folk were included in the 5th edition Player’s Handbook, which was published in 2014. Tome of Foes doesn’t revise them, but simply adds more depth and color to each race’s backstory."

The release date for Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is May 29, 2018.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Badgers?

Badgers?

...anyway. Halflings obviously have huge brains, since they have "found niches for themselves away from the battles and rivalries" of the big folk. Hence, huge heads.

Yaarel

He Mage
The descriptions of the halflings describe an emotional intelligence and an ability to read people, that some would associate with a Wisdom improvement, and insight skill proficiency.

However, I want Charisma to handle *all* social skills, including empathy and emotional insight, so I am fine with the Charisma improvement that the halflings have − at least the lightfoot halfling.

So, in order to mechanically back up the flavor of the halfling, the race needs a Charisma boost as well as a proficiency/expertise in an insight skill that keys off of Charisma (not Wisdom).

I also see Charisma associating with an archetypal presence that is larger than life, along with uncanny fate and destiny, so the Charisma flavor works well with the ‘luckiness’ of the halfling as well.

When it is possible to back up flavor with mechnics, it is important for the game design to make an effort to do so. Mechanics ensure that a flavor actualizes substantially during gameplay.

gyor

Legend
As I said in the other thread about this, the big thing to me is that it confirms Greyhawk Halfling Goddess of warnings Charmalaine is in the book. I don't know if they will be expanding the FR Halfling Pantheon to include her, but I hope so as she seems interesting.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases