I will answer 10 questions about Mordenkainen's Tome

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A many of you know, I am only back in town for a day from my leave of absence, so I'm doing a big flurry of catch-up work. I found the below waiting for me when I got home today. I will answer 10 questions about the book (for now at least) as my time is *very* limited right now. Pick your questions wisely! Maybe more later, depending on a lot of things.

DdKqTQjWAAAHpzi.jpg-large.jpg

Ask your questions in the comments. I'll answer 10 of them. Only one each. Don't ask me to list vast swathes of content. In the meantime, I said the same thing on Twitter. Here were those questions and answers. I accidentally answered 12, not 10...

BoabAlmighty. Is it everything I dreamed it was? Maybe. That's 1/10!

Heath Belden. Are there any monsters of CR 27-29? Top CR is 26 with Demogorgon, Orcus, and Zariel.

George Sutherland Howard. How are elves covered? Is there a dedicated chapter for elves and their history, a la Volo's Guide, or is it more tied to individual stat blocks? Elves have a full chapter from pg 35-63. Includes diaspora, reverie, outlook, magic, Selrine, elastin, fey wild, draw, Raven Queen, Shadar Kai, subraces.

Marc Schubert. Are the stickers a fair representation of what's covered in the book? There's 9 of them, and they're all images from the book. The book covers considerably more, of course.

Dave Clark. Does it add racial feats? If so ones that we never saw in UA? That I can see, one - Svirfneblin Magic (though its possible I may have missed one on my look through).

Kirby. What new PC options are available for halfling and gnomes? Including tables like extra gnome inventions? Deep gnome sub race. Svirfneblin Magic feat. Traits/bonds/ideals/flaws. References to tinker gnomes and inventions, but not tables.

Maestro Murdoch. What is one monster that you'll add as a DM, or hope to encounter as a PC, in your next D&D game night? Hmm. They're all kinda gruesome (in a good way). The Hellfire Engine looks interesting. CR 16 construct. Has a Bonemelt Sprayer and a Flesh-Crunching Stride.

David DM. What's your favorite thing in the book? I love all the stuff about Hell and the Lords of the Nine, diabolical cults, Princes of the Abyss, demonic boons, etc. Always have.

Pixellance. Are Kender mentioned or generally Dragonlance? Krynn and Tinker Gnomes sidebar in the gnome section. Brief mention of Kender in a halfling sidebar, along with halflings of other settings.

Tones McGee. Which foe will make the most horrifying/impressive miniature? Tough question! They're all very visually impressive. The Ogre Chain Brute looks awesome. But I'll go with the gargantuan Zaratan, a giant armoured turtle-like reptile which erupts from the ground, CR 22.

Dan Dillon. Is the Marut just a giant modron? What's it's overall deal in 5e presentation? It's a CR 25 large construct. "Blazing Edict" blasts 60' cube with 45 radiant damage. "Justify" targets 2 creatures and teleports them to Hall of Concordance in Sigil.

Zoltar Sage Advice. Are there stats for Asmodeus? You got the final question! No, there are not. Lord of the Nine stats include Bael, Geryon, Hutjin, Moloch, Titivilus, Zariel.

DdKtBKyX4AEaeUk.jpg

Attachments

• DdKqTQjWAAAHpzi.jpg-large.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 1,924
  • DdKqTQjWAAAHpzi.jpg-large.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 27,377
  • DdKtBKyX4AEaeUk.jpg
    DdKtBKyX4AEaeUk.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 7,084

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?

This is what I see as I page though (bear in mind I've literally just got the book, so might miss something):

Elf subraces -- eladrin, sea elf, shadar kai
Dwarf subraces -- duergar
Gith race, plus subraces -- githyanki, githzerai
Gnome subraces -- deep gnome
Tiefling subraces -- Asmodeus, Baalzebul, Dispater, Fierna, Glasya, Levistus, Mammon, Mephitopheloes, Zariel

Deep Gnome feat -- Svirfneblin Magic

Last edited by a moderator:

Ganders

Explorer
Is there any discussion, description, detail, mention, or whatever of Tieflings and Aasimars, or Tiefling or Aasimar cultures?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Do tieflings vary in appearance based on their new possible lineages? I know they may have some new features, but what about their physical appearance?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is there any discussion, description, detail, mention, or whatever of Tieflings and Aasimars, or Tiefling or Aasimar cultures?

There's a bunch of Tielfing subraces, each linked to a Lord of the Nine Hells. And discussion on diabolical cults, personality traits/ideals/bonds/flaws. The whole first 30 pages or so deals with demons, devils, etc. I'm not immediately seeing Aasimar anywhere, but that doesn't mean they're not mentioned.

Melkor

Explorer
Does the first section detailing the Blood War provide enough info to run a Planescape campaign (or provide any tantalizing hints that we might see future Planescape products for 5E)?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases