I will answer 10 questions about Mordenkainen's Tome
  • I will answer 10 questions about Mordenkainen's Tome

A many of you know, I am only back in town for a day from my leave of absence, so I'm doing a big flurry of catch-up work. I found the below waiting for me when I got home today. I will answer 10 questions about the book (for now at least) as my time is *very* limited right now. Pick your questions wisely! Maybe more later, depending on a lot of things.

Ask your questions in the comments. I'll answer 10 of them. Only one each. Don't ask me to list vast swathes of content. In the meantime, I said the same thing on Twitter. Here were those questions and answers. I accidentally answered 12, not 10...

BoabAlmighty. Is it everything I dreamed it was? Maybe. That's 1/10!

Heath Belden. Are there any monsters of CR 27-29? Top CR is 26 with Demogorgon, Orcus, and Zariel.

George Sutherland Howard. How are elves covered? Is there a dedicated chapter for elves and their history, a la Volo's Guide, or is it more tied to individual stat blocks? Elves have a full chapter from pg 35-63. Includes diaspora, reverie, outlook, magic, Selrine, elastin, fey wild, draw, Raven Queen, Shadar Kai, subraces.

Marc Schubert. Are the stickers a fair representation of what's covered in the book? There's 9 of them, and they're all images from the book. The book covers considerably more, of course.

Dave Clark. Does it add racial feats? If so ones that we never saw in UA? That I can see, one - Svirfneblin Magic (though its possible I may have missed one on my look through).

Kirby. What new PC options are available for halfling and gnomes? Including tables like extra gnome inventions? Deep gnome sub race. Svirfneblin Magic feat. Traits/bonds/ideals/flaws. References to tinker gnomes and inventions, but not tables.

Maestro Murdoch. What is one monster that you'll add as a DM, or hope to encounter as a PC, in your next D&D game night? Hmm. They're all kinda gruesome (in a good way). The Hellfire Engine looks interesting. CR 16 construct. Has a Bonemelt Sprayer and a Flesh-Crunching Stride.

David DM. What's your favorite thing in the book? I love all the stuff about Hell and the Lords of the Nine, diabolical cults, Princes of the Abyss, demonic boons, etc. Always have.

Pixellance. Are Kender mentioned or generally Dragonlance? Krynn and Tinker Gnomes sidebar in the gnome section. Brief mention of Kender in a halfling sidebar, along with halflings of other settings.

Tones McGee. Which foe will make the most horrifying/impressive miniature? Tough question! They're all very visually impressive. The Ogre Chain Brute looks awesome. But I'll go with the gargantuan Zaratan, a giant armoured turtle-like reptile which erupts from the ground, CR 22.

Dan Dillon. Is the Marut just a giant modron? What's it's overall deal in 5e presentation? It's a CR 25 large construct. "Blazing Edict" blasts 60' cube with 45 radiant damage. "Justify" targets 2 creatures and teleports them to Hall of Concordance in Sigil.

Zoltar Sage Advice. Are there stats for Asmodeus? You got the final question! No, there are not. Lord of the Nine stats include Bael, Geryon, Hutjin, Moloch, Titivilus, Zariel.

Comments 89 Comments
      Adslahnit -
      What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adslahnit View Post
      What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?
      This is what I see as I page though (bear in mind I've literally just got the book, so might miss something):

Elf subraces -- eladrin, sea elf, shadar kai
      Dwarf subraces -- duergar
      Gith race, plus subraces -- githyanki, githzerai
      Gnome subraces -- deep gnome
      Tiefling subraces -- Asmodeus, Baalzebul, Dispater, Fierna, Glasya, Levistus, Mammon, Mephitopheloes, Zariel

Deep Gnome feat -- Svirfneblin Magic
      Ganders -
      Is there any discussion, description, detail, mention, or whatever of Tieflings and Aasimars, or Tiefling or Aasimar cultures?
      Warpiglet -
      Do tieflings vary in appearance based on their new possible lineages? I know they may have some new features, but what about their physical appearance?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ganders View Post
      Is there any discussion, description, detail, mention, or whatever of Tieflings and Aasimars, or Tiefling or Aasimar cultures?
      There's a bunch of Tielfing subraces, each linked to a Lord of the Nine Hells. And discussion on diabolical cults, personality traits/ideals/bonds/flaws. The whole first 30 pages or so deals with demons, devils, etc. I'm not immediately seeing Aasimar anywhere, but that doesn't mean they're not mentioned.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
      Do tieflings vary in appearance based on their new possible lineages? I know they may have some new features, but what about their physical appearance?
      They don't mention physical appearance, no.
      Morrus -
      That's 3 questions. I don't have much longer!
      jgsugden -
      Can you give us a quick description of the Oblex (monster)?
      Melkor -
      Does the first section detailing the Blood War provide enough info to run a Planescape campaign (or provide any tantalizing hints that we might see future Planescape products for 5E)?
      Ancalagon -
      Is the Giff a playable race? How much Giff content?
      AmerginLiath -
      Does the book contain anything explicit on using it with different D&D worlds/settings (like how SCAG had sidebars with suggestions for renaming or similar conversions of new class and races elements to non-FR settings), or does the “multiverse” conceit operate as if the material is basically the same (if only mythologically) in all games?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jgsugden View Post
      Can you give us a quick description of the Oblex (monster)?
      Oblex Spawn is a Cr 1/4 tiny ooze. Green. Amorphous and Aversion to Fire. Does bludgeoning and psychic damage with its pseudopod attack.

Adult Oblex is CR 5, medium. Eat memories does psychic damage and memory drains the target - -1d4 from ability checks or attacks. Each time it increases to d6, d8, etc. until d20 when the victim falls unconscious. Oblex learns all its languages and proficiencies. Sulfurous Impersonation lets it assume the appearance of a memory drained victim.

Elder Oblex is CR 10.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
      Does the first section detailing the Blood War provide enough info to run a Planescape campaign (or provide any tantalizing hints that we might see future Planescape products for 5E)?
      It doesn't detail Sigil, so I'd guess no. I've never run a PS campaign though, so I'm not super qualified to judge what's needed to run one.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
      Is the Giff a playable race? How much Giff content?
      Yes. Two subraces. 13 pages of content.

(Sorry, I misread that as Gith. Giff are not a playable race).
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by AmerginLiath View Post
      Does the book contain anything explicit on using it with different D&D worlds/settings (like how SCAG had sidebars with suggestions for renaming or similar conversions of new class and races elements to non-FR settings), or does the “multiverse” conceit operate as if the material is basically the same (if only mythologically) in all games?
      Various mentions in sidebars, but not additional rules. Like the Halfling chapter has a sidebar which mentions Halflings in FR, Greyhawk, Krynn, Athas.
      Morrus -
      7 questions. 3 more!
      jgsugden -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Oblex Spawn is a Cr 1/4 tiny ooze. Green. Amorphous and Aversion to Fire. Does bludgeoning and psychic damage with its pseudopod attack.

Adult Oblex is CR 5, medium. Eat memories does psychic damage and memory drains the target - -1d4 from ability checks or attacks. Each time it increases to d6, d8, etc. until d20 when the victim falls unconscious. Oblex learns all its languages and proficiencies. Sulfurous Impersonation lets it assume the appearance of a memory drained victim.

Elder Oblex is CR 10.
      It sounds like an update on Obliviax... stealing the name of the stuff you make in grade school. Cool. I think I like Obliviax, but I can't seem to remember if I enjoyed using it...
      Polyhedral Columbia -
      Any references to Mystara (other than the Nightwalker)?
      jgsugden -
      Just to be sure: He said Giff (Hippomen from Space), not Gith (Githyanki/zerai). I was told Giff was not a playable race elsewhere.
      Ancalagon -
      Wow... just to be clear this isn't a typo/misunderstanding, the hypo people are a playable race (Not the gith)
    Comments Leave Comment