Mythological Figures: Coyote (5E)

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
One of the requests in Mythological Figures was for Coyote and that one took me a little while of sifting to figure out. Tricksters hold a special place in my heart, but how could we encapsulate so ephemeral and powerful a spirit as his in a mere statblock?

I posit that while I’m sure it could be done, it should not be done, and while this is definitely not a forum for me to make homebrew class archetypes that seemed the right route for Coyote. I can certainly see him (or perhaps Anansi or Loki) being a major actor in a variety of campaigns, likely by influencing a lesser creature—like an adventurer—so in lieu of the usual NPC this week Mythological Figures features a new warlock patron!

attachment.php

Coyote (Trickster Warlock Patron)
As one of the most widespread and powerful spirits in many Native American cultures Coyote is an entity that embodies several themes. Two are more common than the rest: he is a teacher and a trickster. When he comes across a clever believer or an intelligent creature with a fateful soul, sometimes he entreats them with a bargain. In exchange for performing a few occasional, minor, inconsequential deeds on his behalf Coyote offers knowledge and power, teasing the secrets of existence for ever greater feats of service.

Spiritual Service
In order to gain Coyote’s favor you must regularly perform tasks on his behalf. Sometimes you will be made to undertake a quest or go out of your way to fulfill your end of the bargain but usually your powerful benefactor only requires you to do minor, innocuous things that are curious and seemingly unimportant. Unless noted otherwise, should you fail to perform all of your tasks at least once between one sunrise and the next you lose the features granted by this patron until the next sunset after you have fulfilled your duties to Coyote. Choose one task at 1st level and one additional task every time your proficiency bonus increases.

• Sit or sleep only while facing a certain direction.
  • Make a daily offering worth 1 silver or more (such as handcrafted items or food).
  • Help a creature of prey escape a predator without doing any harm.
  • Drop 1 silver (or a token worth 1 silver) into each body of water or waterway you come across.
  • Trick a companion without doing any harm.
  • Abandon a useful item or weapon you own in a random location in the wilderness (once per week).
  • Build a shelter or dig a pit large enough for a Medium-sized creature to squeeze into.
  • Move something owned by another creature (or preferably a sleeping creature) to a place nearby and then abandon it.
At the GM’s discretion, other tasks sourced from stories about Coyote (or another trickster god) may be appropriate.

Pact of the Chain. Your familiar always appears to be a coyote but uses the statistics for a different creature (roll 1d4 when summoned: 1—imp, 2—pseudodragon, 3—quasit, 4—sprite). When it leaves your notice and you aren’t paying attention to it, your familiar plays tricks on your and your companions.

Pact of the Blade.
The weapon granted by Coyote always appears blunted and worn. Though it seems like it will break when used, it is just as sturdy as the day it was made.

Pact of the Tome.
Your Book of Shadows is a worn and weathered collection of parchment or long leather scroll. To the eyes of all but the most keen it appears to be worthless, the writings and drawings within completely unintelligible.

Trickster Patron Expanded Spells

SpellLevel
1stcolor spray, silent image
2ndarcanist's magic aura, magic mouth
3rdclairvoyance, nondetection
4tharcane eye, divination
5thcommune with nature, mislead

Bonus Cantrips & Bonus Proficiency
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in Deception or Perception, and you learn one of the following cantrips: druidcraft, prestidigitation, or thaumaturgy.

Trickster’s Mind
At 1st level, you have advantage on saving throws against being charmed. When you successfully resist being charmed, until you act otherwise the creature that would have charmed you believes it has done so.

Gifted Storyteller
At 6th level, no matter what you say, magic that would determine if you are telling the truth cannot tell whether or not you are lying. In addition, when you make a Charisma (Deception or Persuasion) check, you can replace the number you roll with 8 + your proficiency bonus. You must finish a short or long rest before you can use this feature again.

Master Trickster
At 10th level, you cannot be charmed. You can still trick creatures into believing you have been charmed. In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against fear. When you successfully resist being frightened, until you act otherwise the creature that would have frightened you believes it has done so.

Friend of Coyote
Beginning at 14th level, you can cast glibness. After you cast the spell with this feature, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Edit: Modified Pact of the Blade and Pact of the Chain features as per EN-Worlder Jonathan Alvear's solid suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

! For a minute I was like "Ack!" because we stage the post here before Morrus moves it over to the columns.

That is a dope Coyote. Whatcha think of the archetype? Too little? Asks too much? Any suggestions for other tasks a Coyote warlock should do?

Yaarel

He Mage
! For a minute I was like "Ack!" because we stage the post here before Morrus moves it over to the columns.

That is a dope Coyote. Whatcha think of the archetype? Too little? Asks too much? Any suggestions for other tasks a Coyote warlock should do?

Regarding the approach your Original Post takes to represent Coyote, I thought dealing with an animal spirit as a *spirit* that influences, rather than a creature to combat, was a good way to handle the concept in D&D. I like it. It might work for other animistic figures as well. The OP focuses on how the warlock class interacts with the animal spirit. I am curious about how other kinds of heroes can.

Last edited by a moderator:

paladinn

Explorer
Umm.. this seems really out of place here. Maybe should have gone on the forums, in a workshop or some such?

This is for writeups of actual characters, not for class archetypes. At least IMO.

Mike Myler

Umm.. this seems really out of place here. Maybe should have gone on the forums, in a workshop or some such?

This is for writeups of actual characters, not for class archetypes. At least IMO.

Agreed! However I love tricksters and fulfilling requests, so I took a swing at it because it really felt like the right approach for an ephemeral entity of Native American myth (which is largely more nebulous in the confines of storytelling than the Greek epics or what have you). Sorry to disappoint. :/ What build were you expecting to see? Arcane trickster rogue?

Mike Myler

View attachment 97520
Always like the simplistic art for the Coyote in the original Deities & Demigods

I spent about 2 hours looking for something like that which I could confirm was in the public domain. Do you have an original source for this? If so I'll switch around the graphic later today (because you are right, it is definitely cooler and more appropriate than what I worked up in its stead).

Jonathan Alvear

First Post
The Pact of the Chain and Pact of the Blade constraints are far too limiting. Forcing a Chainlock to only have a coyote familiar takes away a lot of the utility, for instance. Having the stats of one of the four special familiars but having the appearance of a coyote would be much fairer.

Similarly, being limited to only a dagger or a shortbow would make being a Trickster Bladelock even more of a weaker option than usual. As we all know, Hexblade Bladelocks are most mechanically sound Bladelocks. Limiting Trickster Bladelocks this way makes them the weakest. Again, the shoddy appearance fluff could be translated to any weapon a Bladelock can summon. Being stuck with only a 1d4 melee or a 1d6 ranged option is just poor design.

paladinn

Explorer
Agreed! However I love tricksters and fulfilling requests, so I took a swing at it because it really felt like the right approach for an ephemeral entity of Native American myth (which is largely more nebulous in the confines of storytelling than the Greek epics or what have you). Sorry to disappoint. :/

I guess while Morris is away...

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases