PAX Unplugged Ticket Sales Announced

The latest contender in the area of tabletop gaming conventions have announced that tickets have gone on sale for the second PAX Unplugged. The event will be at Philadelphia's Pennsylvania Convention Center from November 30th to December 2nd.

The latest contender in the area of tabletop gaming conventions have announced that tickets have gone on sale for the second PAX Unplugged. The event will be at Philadelphia's Pennsylvania Convention Center from November 30th to December 2nd.

Single-day badges for the event will be available for $30, while three-day badges will cost $65. Pre-sale merchandise, including branded blankets, socks, and dice will be available as well. Badges are available now.

Last year's PAX Unplugged had an estimated turnstyle count of 45,000. Certainly not bad for the first year of a convention, particularly one that had stiff competition on the same weekend, including the annual BoardGameGeek​ convention.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
People who went to Unplugged last year:

I've never been to a Con before, mostly because too much of a time & travel investment. Would like to go to a D&D-related one within the next year or two. I live in NYC. I am a long-time D&D player that is in-between groups. Would you recommend that I attend PAX Unplugged this year?

Last edited by a moderator:

Another New Yorker in-between D&D groups, hoping Pax unplugged will scratch the itch. Anyone who experienced the first Pax unplugged have thoughts on D&D there?

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'm from NY and attended last year. I wasnt a D&D player at the time (technically still not?) and was there primarily for boardgames and the Starfinder Demo but I couldnt help but notices huge crowds and queues for gaming. I'd heard one or two people afterwards complaining about the lack or organiztion around D&D organized play but I dont know if it was actually lack or organization or the PAX people underestimating how many people were going to show up for RPG's.

It's really the ONLY major east coast table top gaming con so I think they severely underestimated the amount of people who were going to show up. 45,000 may not seem like a lot but it was just the first year.

Here's someone who basically kind of confirms what I was saying: https://jonbrazer.com/2017/11/20/pax-unplugged-the-best-convention-im-not-sure-i-will-return-to/

I didnt think it was a BAD con but If I were going to go again I'd go with freinds and have a plan and several backup plans as to what I was going to do that weekend in terms of gaming.

tmanbeaubien

Explorer
I went to Unplugged last year though I didn't try to do any RPG gaming there. However, the lines for the RPG table registration started very early and filled up fast, to I would plan on getting in the door first thing each day to get registered **first thing**. (Cue ZZ Top's Cheap Sunglasses - "Hit them streets a runnin and try to beat the masses".)

I will second ShinHakkaider's comment that some aspects of the show felt like they organizers were a little overwhelmed by the turnout, though I can't imagine why since Philly is so easy to get to from such a large population dense area. PAX South has been building up slowly, but San Antonio is much farther from other population centers than this show.

Anyway, the show was fun, the vendor hall was awesome and you will be surrounded by many many playful geeks all weekend.

Panfilo

Existential Risk
Hey ya'all! Enforcer here who happened to work the first PAX Unplugged in the RPGs department. We were indeed quite whelmed in the organized play area, and it was heavily noted for future best practices. For a first time con, it was great. The rough edges came from the typical stuff of expo vendors not knowing how much stock to bring, interest by department not being in the expected proportions, and first-time con-goers not having experience managing that degree of time and logistics for their own fun. I expect all of those fronts to be at worst the same, and more likely improved this year. If it's in your budget and schedule, do your research on what you want to see and play, and make it a date. Hope to see you all there!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads