Pathfinder 2 Preview: Downtime

It is time again for a preview of Pathfinder 2 over at the Paizo blog. Today they take a look at downtime for characters.

According to the blog post, "[d][FONT=&amp]owntime mode is measured in days and gives you a chance to enact your long-term plans. You might craft items, heal up, conduct rituals, retrain some of your character options to choose other ones, or work at jobs or stage performances to make money. These are all things that take time and can't really be done in the middle of a dungeon.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]" It sounds kind of like something that already exists in most games, and without codification. "[/FONT]Of course, just like with the other modes of play, these are all things you could do previously in Pathfinder. The difference in the Playtest is that we've more clearly defined these tasks in terms of what you can complete in the number of days you commit to them. This means if the GM wants to codify how long things take, it's more obvious what the value of a day spent at a task is."

One of the things that they talk about regarding the new edition is that the game will utilize three modes of play: encounter, exploration, and downtime. Both encounter and exploration are pretty easy to understand, as they are standards of fantasy role-playing games. "When you have a day or more off, you can choose a defined downtime activity (or decide to do whatever else you want to). A few of these are general, like taking bed rest to heal more quickly or retraining your feats, skill choices, and selectable class features. Most of downtime activities, however, appear under skills and require skill checks. The ones appearing in the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook are Craft, Create Forgery, Gather Information, Practice a Trade, Stage a Performance, Subsist on the Streets, Survive in the Wild, and Treat Disease. All of these require a skill check to determine how successful you are, and a few are explained in more detail later in this blog."

Interestingly, it looks like some characters will be able to make money during downtime. "Because downtime can include a really large number of days, performing these activities long-term requires rolls only for interesting events; you can continue doing the job and earning money at a steady rate until the job is completed or your audiences run out. This means you can cover long periods of downtime quickly and embellish your activity with interesting details, rather than getting bogged down with 30 rolls for a month of downtime."

"If you're a Game Master, downtime lets you pace out your game and show the passage of time between adventures. Characters and their circumstances can change in tangible ways during their downtime. Adding color and storylines to downtime, as well as recurring characters, helps the PCs form bonds and feel they're more a part of the world around them. It also means that PCs with long-term goals have a clear way of attaining them, with a clearer structure than the game had before. Less guesswork for you, and immense expandability!"

Like with some of the previous previews, Paizo really isn't giving us enough to extrapolate anything meaningful about what the rules of downtime will really do, but it does give us plenty to speculate about in the meantime. It is only a couple of months until the Pathfinder 2​ playtest document will come out.

What a completely original concept that totally doesn't resemble another popular RPG. Dividing the game into three different modes is something I bet they never heard of before.

Kite474

Explorer
What a completely original concept that totally doesn't resemble another popular RPG. Dividing the game into three different modes is something I bet they never heard of before.

Yes, and?

Paizo is no stranger to copying D&D nor is the ENTIRE INDUSTRY for that matter.

Its almost like people try to work with ideas that work.

And hey they maybe might do a few things better with it considering 5e has support for one pillar and dam near little for the other two

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

Eh, I have no problem with combat, exploration etc that stuff has been in the game since forever.

It is the copying of magic item levels from 4e that concerns me.

Arilyn

Hero

Designers happily borrow from each other. The industry is usually friendly that way, (these days, anyway).
The ideas with downtime, however, came up in Paizo' s Ultimate Campaign book years ago, so even if you are concerned about this...

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Designers happily borrow from each other. The industry is usually friendly that way, (these days, anyway).
The ideas with downtime, however, came up in Paizo' s Ultimate Campaign book years ago, so even if you are concerned about this...

Thats an an excellent book, mined plenty of it myself.

Eh, I have no problem with combat, exploration etc that stuff has been in the game since forever.

It is the copying of magic item levels from 4e that concerns me.

Yes, and?

Paizo is no stranger to copying D&D nor is the ENTIRE INDUSTRY for that matter.

Its almost like people try to work with ideas that work.

And hey they maybe might do a few things better with it considering 5e has support for one pillar and dam near little for the other two

Let's hope on one enters the thread and say that the Pathfinder developers never looked at 5th Edition then :p

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Let's hope on one enters the thread and say that the Pathfinder developers never looked at 5th Edition then :p

The comment about not paying attention to 5e was from ONE developer. No one claimed that NO ONE at Paizo was aware of what 5e was up to. That said, 5e is far from the first game to use a Downtime system like this, so its appearance in PF2 isn’t an indication of 5e imitation specifically. More like an indication that Paizo exists in this decade and is aware other games exist. Which, yes, includes 5e, along with many others that all handle Downtime pretty much the same way.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases