Jon Peterson posts Mordenkainen in 1974

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In a topical subject, given the recent release of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, Jon Peterson has posted the original 13th-level version of Mordenkainen by Gary Gygax in 1974, along with some other historical iterations of the character, which was Gygax's PC for many years.

1974-mordenkainen-stats.jpg

Check out his blog post for more, including the 16th-level 1980 Blume version which Gygax decried back in 2003.

"The information in the ROGUE'S GALLERY was quite fallacious, made up im many cases when we refused to give Brian our PCs' stats. Rob respected my wishes and didn't use Mordie's actual stats and information, and whatever was written thereafter based on those works continues the error.

It is my PC, and I do play him now and again, although it's been a couple of years since he last adventured."

There's more at the link above. It's a really interesting article.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1974-mordenkainen-stats.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3,020
  • 1974-mordenkainen-stats.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 25,408
Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah do as I say, not as I do - very common in rpg example Pc's. I am reading the new Runequest Glorantha, and with 3d6 they've managed 11, 11, 13, 15, & 17 with the example character - yeah right!

Neat! Peterson has a remarkable ability to uncover all sorts of documents you'd think would be long-lost to time.

One wonders what was on his spell list, but considering the date, I imagine the answer would must be “all of them.”

Vymair

First Post
Not surprised to see the high charisma. Henchmen and followers were really important in early D&D and charisma was a key factor in determining the quantity and the loyalty/morale those followers and henchmen had towards their liege.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Not surprised to see the high charisma. Henchmen and followers were really important in early D&D and charisma was a key factor in determining the quantity and the loyalty/morale those followers and henchmen had towards their liege.
You're joking, right? Charisma was the original dump stat...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases