In Search Of Mike Carr

Mike Carr played the first cleric in the history of fantasy tabletop role playing games. Like, the very first. Ever. In the decades since, the character class has earned a spot at the core of the hobby, so when Carr casually mentioned in an email that he played the first one in a now-legendary campaign, it seemed like a follow-up question was necessary. But for Carr, it's just another interesting footnote in a life in gaming.

In a previous article, I focused on the creation of the Cavern of Quasqueton, a dungeon designed by Carr for the iconic and influential B1 In Search of the Unknown module for Dungeons and Dragons, first published in 1979. Mr. Carr generously provided me with answers to additional questions on his career in gaming, and his responses provide a fascinating tour through some of the most important years in the hobby's development.

Carr grew up in Saint Paul, Minnesota, a region with an innovative tabletop scene during the 1960s and 1970s. "I really came of age in the right place at the right time, just as the Twin Cities were emerging and thriving as a hotbed of gaming activity, which included Dave Arneson's legendary Napoleonic campaign, Dave Wesely's Braunstein games and, of course, the genesis of Blackmoor and early Dungeons & Dragons," Carr wrote to me in an email.

Carr played in Arneson's Blackmoor campaign, a stepping stone on the path that eventually led to the development of Dungeons & Dragons. It was during that campaign that Arneson asked Carr to play the original cleric. Carr said he doesn't remember many specifics about the character beyond a disastrous encounter with a balrog.

"When the Blackmoor campaign was getting underway, Dave Arneson assigned me the role of village cleric, so I can proudly claim to be first one of that character class, which is a pretty cool distinction," Carr said. "I had a small church but not much else – my cleric wielded a mace, since he was unable to use any edged weapons. As a low-level adventurer, my fighting ability was unremarkable, but I did have the ability to heal wounds on a limited scale, which proved to be somewhat useful to our party."

Carr later moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he worked for the Ground Round restaurant chain in 1974 and 1975. But an invitation from Gary Gygax to work for TSR drew Carr back into the gaming the world, although he had took a pay cut to do it. Carr earned $205 a week at the Ground Round, and Gygax offered him $110 a week along with some stock in the company.

Carr moved to Lake Geneva in March 1976 and has lived in Wisconsin ever since. During his tenure at TSR, he wrote In Search of the Unknown and edited many more D&D products. Carr would go on to edit a number of books and adventures for TSR, including the core rule books for the first edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and seminal adventures like The Village of Hommlet, The Keep On The Borderlands and Against the Giants. He also collaborated on adventure modules for Top Secret, an espionage role-playing game published by TSR.

But, perhaps surprisingly, B1 stands alone as the only Dungeons & Dragons adventure that Carr wrote for TSR, despite its status as a landmark of the genre. Carr explained that, despite his long history in gaming, he wasn't an avid D&D player at the time. That made him a suitable writer for an introductory module designed to inspire beginning DMs, but less so for more advanced adventures, he said. Imagine designing only one adventure for Dungeons & Dragons, and it becoming one of the seminal adventures in the history of fantasy role-playing games.

contributed by Fred Love

KenNYC

Explorer
B1 deserves all the praise it gets because it really teaches you how to DM, something adventures now just assume you know how to do. The picking of monsters, the assigning of treasure, mapping, choosing of characters and the concept of NPC...I remember it all being in there explained clearly. I don't recall there being much of a plot or huge chances for roleplaying, but that is a more advanced skill the DM can learn later.

I also think it is kind of neat that everyone everywhere played the same adventure starting out, either this or B2. Shared experiences and memories are important to a culture, even geek culture.

As for the first cleric ever, this didn't go into detail about who actually came up with the tropes and ideas. It sounds like he was just handed a character sheet and played a character DA designed. Who had the idea clerics could not use bladed weapons? Friar Tuck did, so why not clerics?

Koloth

First Post
This is a cool bit of RPG history. Wonder how many of the other classes can have a similar first run identified?

I always found the 'no edged weapons for clerics' a bit artificial. It would be interesting if the reasoning for that could be rediscovered. Smashing something's head with a mace isn't really bloodless.

As for bards casting healing, it is weird but if your main class feature is playing a banjo in combat to assist other characters, you would want some other ability.

B1 deserves all the praise it gets because it really teaches you how to DM, something adventures now just assume you know how to do. The picking of monsters, the assigning of treasure, mapping, choosing of characters and the concept of NPC...I remember it all being in there explained clearly. I don't recall there being much of a plot or huge chances for roleplaying, but that is a more advanced skill the DM can learn later.

I also think it is kind of neat that everyone everywhere played the same adventure starting out, either this or B2. Shared experiences and memories are important to a culture, even geek culture.

As for the first cleric ever, this didn't go into detail about who actually came up with the tropes and ideas. It sounds like he was just handed a character sheet and played a character DA designed. Who had the idea clerics could not use bladed weapons? Friar Tuck did, so why not clerics?

The concept of the Cleric not using bladed weapons traces back to a historical figure. A Norman Bishop, Odo of Bayeux (brother of William the Conqueror), who used a mace to avoid the papal prohibition on priests shedding blood. The historical reality of it is more complex and questionable, but that's why D&Ds Clerics could not use edged weapons and were restricted to blunt ones.

*edit* This was discussed at length back in the day, including in articles in The Dragon iirc (or The Strategic Review?). Not sure on the specifics and yes, whacking some guy upside the head with a mace or club is likely to result in blood flow from various spots. Odo was well known as a warrior and statesman, it's entirely possible Odo on the Bayeux Tapestry waving a club / mace was an attempt to sanitize his rather unclerical activity.

One thing about the original games Clerics that most probably don't know; they could only use magical armor and blunt weapons. No mundane gear for the early Clerics! The Magic User could at least pull out his (mundane) dagger :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AriochQ

Adventurer
Don't forget he is the creator of Fight in the Skies (aka Dawn Patrol), which has been run every year since Gen Con 1! Super nice guy as well!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases