THIS Is The Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook!
  • THIS Is The Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook!

Courtesy of Paizo's Jason Bulmahn on the Twitters -- "This is my 5,000th tweet and I can not think of a finer thing to show than this glorious book finally landing on my shelf. The team really outdid themselves on this. I can't wait for all of you to see it!"

Comments 52 Comments
      Kite474 -
      Neato, I also like how its really working as a "episode 2" what with the cover being the Icon Sorcerer and Fighter fighting a dragon.

Also that is one fancy scotchglass holder
    1. Kaodi -
      Just four weeks to go 'til we can get our grubby hands on it too.
      Jacob Lewis -
      What! No partially hidden covers? No teasing doodles partially name-dropping old IPs? No big secret, guess what I'm hiding, stir the pot trolling alluding to future products??

It's a huge difference the way Paizo and Wizards approach their audiences. And yet another reason I am leaning towards this playtest more and more. Paizo (through Pathfinder) will likely supplant my interest in D&D this time. Come on, August! I'm ready!
    1. Kobold Boots -
      WoTC is using the old Apple approach to product marketing.
      Paizo is using the IBM approach.

Both work. Neither are selling anything as important to society. It's good to see some business acumen on both sides though.
      Zarithar -
      The fact that they are selling and marketing hardcover books for a playtest... basically an alpha or beta version of the finished product, is a turn off for me. P.T. Barnum would be proud. WoTC released their playtest for 5e as free PDFs. There's a huge difference here.
      Michael Ramsey -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zarithar View Post
      The fact that they are selling and marketing hardcover books for a playtest... basically an alpha or beta version of the finished product, is a turn off for me. P.T. Barnum would be proud. WoTC released their playtest for 5e as free PDFs. There's a huge difference here.
      Paizo is releasing the playtest for free as a PDF. They just made the books for people who want to buy them (they did the same thing with Pathfinder 1e during it's beta run).
      Auraword -
      To be fair to Paizo - they will release the PDF free on August 2nd. The offered a printed version, as a preorder only, for those who wanted it.
      Kurviak -
      The PDFs are indeed free, so the difference is that paizo offered the printed versions as preorders for people interested on having it as a physical book
      Shasarak -
      You are right, that is terrible to see a company selling something that they are giving away for free. What kind of rubes do Paizo take us for?

Now off to see the Egress, some kind of female Eagle I bet!
      mach1.9pants -
      Yeah and it is often cheaper/more efficient to get them to print the test than me do it myself.

Vs WotC, this is a pick of a product you can already order and due out soon-ish. WotC's teasers are for something far in the future - totally different things. Long range teasers are a thing every industry does, Paizo does hints about upcoming APs that the astute can pick up, without naming them. No difference in teasing style at all.

Also, Talisker - good taste
      Jer -
      Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post
      Yeah and it is often cheaper/more efficient to get them to print the test than me do it myself.

Vs WotC, this is a pick of a product you can already order and due out soon-ish. WotC's teasers are for something far in the future - totally different things. Long range teasers are a thing every industry does, Paizo does hints about upcoming APs that the astute can pick up, without naming them. No difference in teasing style at all.
      How dare you bring nuance into an edition war!
      Charlaquin -
      Why the dick-measuring contest over which companyís marketing strategy is better? Not everything Paizo does has to be judged based on how it compares to WotC and vise versa.
      Henry -
      Looking at that printed copy on his shelf, while mine is three weeks away, makes my eye twitch. 😖
      AmerginLiath -
      You guys take the Pathfinder, Iíll take the Talisker...
      Echohawk -
      You can have the Talisker and the playtest rules if I can have the flip-map. I don't drink, but I love maps...
      ShinHakkaider -
      Maybe next time do a little bit of research and actually know what youre talking about before you post something like this? Paizo did this exact same thing with thier original Pathfinder playtest about a DECADE AGO including making them available as FREE PDF's. They've EXPRESSLY said that they're doing this because when they went around to price how much it would cost to print the playtest (individually) as opposed to doing a mass printing the mass printing would actually come out CHEAPER for thier customers.

But hey dont let a little thing like FACTS get in the way of your need to pit Wizards vs Paizo.
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post
      Actually... if you go black-and-white, a print-on-demand copy will probably be cheaper than the physical copy they're selling. And you'll probably feel more free to mark up the book with feedback...
      Emerikol -
      It's options people. No one has to buy any book. They are giving the content as a free pdf. If you want it free take the pdf. If you want it printed but not pay them then print it yourself. If you want what they offer then buy it. Smh. It seems like all parties can have it as they wish.
      Ghal Maraz -
      True. Even whiners can be happy whining for the wrong reason. Criticise the rules as much as you want, but there's nothing wrong in Paizo both offerings people a lot of different choices (one of them totally free! Shock!) and making some money with it.
      Superchunk77 -
      I'll check out the free PDF. After playing 5e for a few months I'm already bored with it so this might be a good alternative.
    Comments Leave Comment