New Campaign Setting Hint Is Eberron?
  • New Campaign Setting Hint Is Eberron?

WotC's slow trickle of social media teases continues. Could one of the two campaign settings becoming "available" this year be Eberron? Check out the background of WotC's Nathan Stewart's picture. Stewart confirmed in a live stream last Friday that we'd hear more on the 23rd in his announcement of an announcement of an announcement (and today's Unearthed Arcana has been delayed until then, too).

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
    Comments 108 Comments
      iserith -
      Eberron? Count me in!
      nicolas.carrillos -
      I hope so!
      JeffB -
      I'm all in if it involves Xen'drik.
      Mercurius -
      I wouldn't buy too much into anything Nathan Stewart is tweeting as he seems to take great glee from dropping hints and seeing people speculate rampantly.

That said, Eberron seems like a solid possibility and is on the short list of what I consider "likely" candidates.

If they really are going to put some form of product for two campaign settings, I would categorize them as follows:

Likely: Dark Sun, Eberron, Spelljammer, Planescape, Forgotten Realms

Unlikely, but possible: Nentir Vale, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Mystara, new setting

Very unlikely: Birthright, Blackmoor, Council of Wyrms, and pretty much everything else

I personally think we're going to see all in the "likely" group in some form or fashion, be it merely PDFs or actual setting books. I was thinking we'll definitely see Planescape/Spelljammer as a merged setting (spelljammer ships sailing the Astral Sea) which opens the door to everything else. I think we'll see Dark Sun when they feel psionics are ready and Eberron in way, although it might simply be a PDF gazetteer and opened up in DM's Guild.

EDIT: I added FR. I'm a bit torn on the Realms, because on one hand it has been the default setting and has some published material, so you'd think they'd be ready to move on. On the other, it seems like a good idea to "complete" the Realms with a proper world book. Hmm...
      Mercurius -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
      I'm all in if it involves Xen'drik.
      Xendrik is too similar to Chult, so I highly doubt we'll see much of a focus on it.
      Enevhar Aldarion -
      Some people in the other thread about two new settings seemed to think so when this was posted there a while ago.
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
      I wouldn't buy too much into anything Nathan Stewart is tweeting as he seems to take great glee from dropping hints and seeing people speculate rampantly.

That said, Eberron seems like a solid possibility and is on the short list of what I consider "likely" candidates.

If they really are going to put some form of product for two campaign settings, I would categorize them as follows:

Likely: Dark Sun, Eberron, Spelljammer, Planescape, Forgotten Realms

Unlikely, but possible: Nentir Vale, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Mystara, new setting

Very unlikely: Birthright, Blackmoor, Council of Wyrms, and pretty much everything else

I personally think we're going to see all in the "likely" group in some form or fashion, be it merely PDFs or actual setting books. I was thinking we'll definitely see Planescape/Spelljammer as a merged setting (spelljammer ships sailing the Astral Sea) which opens the door to everything else. I think we'll see Dark Sun when they feel psionics are ready and Eberron in way, although it might simply be a PDF gazetteer and opened up in DM's Guild.

EDIT: I added FR. I'm a bit torn on the Realms, because on one hand it has been the default setting and has some published material, so you'd think they'd be ready to move on. On the other, it seems like a good idea to "complete" the Realms with a proper world book. Hmm...
      Yes, yes, yes, it's time to complete FR with a FRCG and move on.
      LuisCarlos17f -
      Eberron is enough open to more things to be added. And Spelljammer allows to test a lot of things to be added in a second edition of d20 Modern. And we shouldn't forget these arcane-punk settins allow the creation of "crazy vehicles" to be sold by Hasbro as toys and action-figures.

A crossover transformers/spelljammer would be fun. (a crossover among Kaladesh, a world from the game Magic: the Gathering, and transformers was one of my crazy ideas published in April 1st).
      Darth Palpy -
      I pray the Silver Flame that it will be Eberron. Give me shifters and kalashtars, dhakaani goblins and hobgoblins, dragonmarked, and an artificer class !! ^^
      But reasonably anything about Eberron would be good, since it's been some time and we need an overhaul to 5e...
    1. Mr. Wilson -
      Between this and Keith Baker saying he was under a deadline for a big project, I can only hope.

I really do believe it's likely the two settings will be Spelljammer and Eberron.
      vivsavage -
      I would rather WOTC give us a new campaign world. If I'm not mistaken, the most recent one was Eberron in 2003. That's 15 years since we got something fresh.
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by vivsavage View Post
      I would rather WOTC give us a new campaign world. If I'm not mistaken, the most recent one was Eberron in 2003. That's 15 years since we got something fresh.
      Does Abeir count, it's sort of part if FR, but it has it's own rules.
      gyor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
      Between this and Keith Baker saying he was under a deadline for a big project, I can only hope.

I really do believe it's likely the two settings will be Spelljammer and Eberron.
      I agree, assuming this isn't all a cruel joke, except I think it will be Eberron and Planejammer (merged plan escape/spelljammer setting).
      vogless -
      Meh.
      Ath-kethin -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      I agree, assuming this isn't all a cruel joke, except I think it will be Eberron and Planejammer (merged plan escape/spelljammer setting).
      I'm in for Eberron, but I'd consider merging Spelljammer and Planescape to be a cruel joke in and of itself.
      Osgood -
      I really hope this is true. Eberron, Planescape, and Spelljammer are the top of my wish list.
      thorgrit -
      It's hard not to be excited for new product of my favourite setting, but I have mixed feelings. I've taken a lot of the 3.5e book, some bits from the 4e book, and hacked together my own take on the world. I don't have any of the other sourcebooks, so I've been filling in details myself, unaware of what's "canonically" been fleshed out. Like more of what's in Sharn, how the Silver Flame operates, etc. I've even gone against what's in the books I have to create a custom interesting story for my players. It would feel weird to see a new book take updates in a completely different direction and "undo" a lot of my custom work.
      Scott McFarland -
      Keith Baker converting Eberron to 5e would make sense. I'd prefer Greyhawk but it's too functionally similar to FR.
      In other news, earlier this month Kobold Press retweeted an image of Queen Marie of Romania, in which her head is surrounded by a halo of what could be taken to be... blades. Wolfgang Baur writing a 5e Planescape perhaps?
      Warpiglet -
      I am getting old. I would rather it be Greyhawk or just something totally new.

Something new with LESS lore would be fun...more to fill in.

In 1st Edition AD&D days, the 'Realms seemed new and novel. We enjoyed a less populated feel. Now? It seems like a Mexican soap opera to me. Part of it is the many books and popular characters but it seems too civilized, too tamed, too well known.

Something fresh or little explored would be fun. I would buy a reference just for reading pleasure for Tyr's sake!
      Feeroper -
      I don’t care about Eberon personally, we have had books for that setting the last 2 editions. I think it is pretty likely that will be one of them.

Id MUCH prefer a revisit to Greyhawk, but from the flavor perspective of the Gygax era folio and WoG box set! I know that 3e had a Greyhawk focus but I didn’t think it was as well presented as it could have been. It was mostly based around LG public play at that time (I did love LG back then !). My dream would be for them to release a castle Greyhawk campaign based around the original dungeon (in spirit) and surrounding region.
    Comments Leave Comment