Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #3: Valeros, Human Fighter
  • Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #3: Valeros, Human Fighter

It's another day, and you know what that means? It's time for the third of our six reveals of the Pathfinder 2nd Edition pregenerated playtest characters, courtesy the awesome folks over at Paizo. Today it's the turn of Valeros, the human fighter. A little more straightforward than the previous alchemist and cleric sheets, in this one you can see the shield mechanics which have been mentioned a few times over the past months.

Here are Paizo's Mark Seifter's thoughts on Valeros -- "So right away from his sketch, you can see somethingís different: Valeros has sheathed his shortsword for now and is using his longsword alongside a shield. Of these iconics, Valeros is the king of reactions, the special action you can take when it is not your turn, usually in response to other actions. He has three different possible reactions, Attack of Opportunity to punish enemies when heís in their face, Reactive Shield to Raise a Shield for AC when he didnít have enough actions to do so, and Shield Block to prevent damage when he did have enough actions to Raise his Shield. Combine that with the powerful two-action activity Sudden Charge, which allows him to Stride twice his Speed and then attack, and Valeros is a force to be reckoned with on any battlefield, striking down weaker enemies, harrying stronger enemies, and difficult to fell."

On Monday, it'll be time to take a look at Seelah, the human paladin!
    Comments 94 Comments
      EthanSental -
      So does he start off with 4 feats? Ancestry, assurance, reactive shield and sudden charge?

Based on Wayne's art - To don his armor Valeros either never takes it of fire while he's drinking in the tavern from the night before or wakes up 45 minutes before the rest Party to start getting strapped in
      dave2008 -
      I don't know the mechanical distinction between "ready" and "stowed", but in the picture provided the bow looks "stowed" to me.
      Shasarak -
      I like the look of Valeros. He seems like a fun type of character to play.

My one caution is that I hope there is not going to be many reactive shield type abilities in the game. I really dislike the turn back time type of reactions like getting a AC bonus after being hit.
      Koloth -
      Nit pick on the sheet - sure wish they would create a damage column in the actions area so the damage would be in a consistent spot. The current layout makes you have to scan the sometimes multiple lines of text to find the damage info.
      The White Sorcerer -
      Is there a special requirement for using a versatile weapon's alternate damage type? Unless there is, it seems like it would be much more efficient to simply list the damage as "piercing or slashing."

EDIT: And Valeros totally sold out, abandoning dual wielding to go sword & board.
      Nathan Fish -
      Have shields been nerfed a ton since the Glass Cannon podcast? They had a fighter with a Hardness 9 wooden shield, and Valeros has a "Heavy steel shield" that has only Hardness 5?
      DaveMage -
      Quote Originally Posted by Shasarak View Post
      My one caution is that I hope there is not going to be many reactive shield type abilities in the game. I really dislike the turn back time type of reactions like getting a AC bonus after being hit.
      Yeah, this kind of stuff is a real big turn off for me.
    1. jrowland -
      Quote Originally Posted by DaveMage View Post
      Yeah, this kind of stuff is a real big turn off for me.
      I can certainly respect that opinion. But if I may (well I suppose I am going to anyway), I'd like to offer my explanation to players who feel the same:

There is the narrative (I attack the orc)
      Then the resolution (To hit roll, reactions, etc.) which is not IN the narrative
      Then the narrative continues with the resolution described.

In other worlds, rolling a dice and getting a hit doesn't instantly translate to 'in world'. Only when the resolution phase is complete can we narrate what happened.

It's not perfect, but it works for us. It allows for keeping gaming elements in their proper place, and narration in its place.
      Jester David -
      Odd that Reactive Shield can only work against enemies and not traps, dominated allies, natural hazards, etc.
      Sunseeker -
      I'm not sure what help Reactive Shield would have against crits. Aren't crits auto-hit still regardless of the target AC?
      HomegrownHydra -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
      I'm not sure what help Reactive Shield would have against crits. Aren't crits auto-hit still regardless of the target AC?
      Crist are hits by 10 or more. So Reactive Shield can potentially turn a crit into a normal hit.
      Sunseeker -
      Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownHydra View Post
      Crist are hits by 10 or more. So Reactive Shield can potentially turn a crit into a normal hit.
      Oh okay, didn't know that.
      Jeff Carpenter -
      Does having his mug "ready" give him a bonus to his "party" initiative. Or Chug: You can raise your mug as a reaction to subtract 4 from your sobriety saving throw.
      Blue -
      Early in the playtest reveil there was a lot of talk about how it seemed very similar to D&D 5e. Looking at the precise definitions and the keywords we've seen in these character sheets is the opposite direction. Looking for players who want things more codified and precise then "rulings not rules" 5e. Which is great - both are valid approaches with lots of adherents. This is good news for everyone - more choice for us all in finding what works for us and for our table.
    1. Adso -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
      Odd that Reactive Shield can only work against enemies and not traps, dominated allies, natural hazards, etc.

Lately, I've been doing an overview of triggers in the playtest version of the game, and I have the same note in my spreadsheet. Don't be suprised if this gets changed in the final version.

Stephen
      Pathfinder RPG Senior Designer and map guy
    1. Adso -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
      Early in the playtest reveil there was a lot of talk about how it seemed very similar to D&D 5e. Looking at the precise definitions and the keywords we've seen in these character sheets is the opposite direction. Looking for players who want things more codified and precise then "rulings not rules" 5e. Which is great - both are valid approaches with lots of adherents. This is good news for everyone - more choice for us all in finding what works for us and for our table.
      Yeah, I'm always puzzled by folks who tell me "it looks like 5e." I like 5e. Some of my best friends made 5e. P2 is not 5e. It's a very different approach to some of the same issues.
      mellored -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Fish View Post
      Have shields been nerfed a ton since the Glass Cannon podcast? They had a fighter with a Hardness 9 wooden shield, and Valeros has a "Heavy steel shield" that has only Hardness 5?
      by my reading, it blocks up to 5 damage at once.
      And a total of 10 damage.
      FitzTheRuke -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adso View Post
      Yeah, I'm always puzzled by folks who tell me "it looks like 5e." I like 5e. Some of my best friends made 5e. P2 is not 5e. It's a very different approach to some of the same issues.
      Seems to me that the only similarity to 5e is that they both use a d20 and are fantasy RPGs in the D&D tradition. (Okay, maybe a little more than that, but not much).
    1. Deverash -
      Yeah, up to 5 damage at once...but it can block 4 damage forever. Which is interesting to me. Do I take the damage, or take a dent? Knowing if i take a Dent now, I may have to choose between destroying my shield, or dropping to 0 later.
      Ted Serious -
      Quote Originally Posted by FitzTheRuke View Post
      Seems to me that the only similarity to 5e is that they both use a d20 and are fantasy RPGs in the D&D tradition. (Okay, maybe a little more than that, but not much).
      All versions of D&D including Pathfinder share the fantasy Paper & Pencil RPG similarity with Pathfinder 2.

In the D&D tradition is a strong important similarity. 4e didn't stick to it and ended badly.

Pathfinder 2 is still very much in the D&D tradition. There's just already a lot more to it in playtest than in 4 years of 5e.
    Comments Leave Comment