From Games Night to TV Chillout Night – Tales From the Loop TV Series Announced

Tales From the Loop is making the jump from RPG games night to binge-worthy TV chillout night! News has just broken that Amazon has ordered a series of Tales From the Loop, to be developed by Legion writer Nathaniel Halpern, and co-produced with Fox 21 Television Studios.

Based on the art of Simon Stalenhag, and turned into the multi-award winning tabletop Roleplaying Game by Swedish company Fria Ligan (The Free League), Tales From the Loop is set in an alternative 1980’s, populated by fantastic machines and strange beasts.

The series will explore the mysterious town of people who live above “The Loop”, a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe, making things possible that were previously in the realm of science fiction.

No dates have been mentioned as yet, but the eight-episode series will be available to Amazon Prime Video customers, in more than 200 countries and territories, when released.

Last edited by a moderator:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Trying to profit from Netflix's success with Stranger Things. Nothing wrong with that--I just hope it doesn't feel derivative.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have to say that Amazon has a good track record with its TV series.

So I do have high hopes they'll do a good job. Since it is an alternative vision of the 80s, it will hopefully rise above just being another 80s-nostalgic subnatural mystery.

MidnightBlue

Explorer
I'm torn...

...I'm VERY happy to hear that TftL is getting a TV show. It's a wonderful setting and I really look forward to seeing what is done with it in idiot box format. I pray it does better than White-Wolf's "Kindred the Embraced" venture. Not that it was a bad show (I enjoyed it), just that it didn't get a chance to really find its audience. (I was a Vampire roleplayer and didn't even know about the show until it was off the air and in DVD format.)

...however, I'm getting very annoyed at the subscription buy-in of way, way too many shows and products. Netflix, Amazon, cable movie channels, now regular cable/network channels in a "prime" format...online video games, my Office software, heck...even HP ink/toner has a subscription plan these days.

I've never felt more an old man yelling at the kids and their new music out on my lawn than in these last few years.

Oh well. Hopefully Amazon will, eventually, put Tales From The Loop season(s) out on BluRay/DVD...if I haven't broken down and subscribed by then.

Jhaelen

First Post
Since you can terminate your subscription monthly, I don't mind. The cost for 1 month is equal or less than the cost of buying a season of a tv show on DVD. Since I almost never watch something a second time, it's actually better for me this way.

MidnightBlue

Explorer
Since you can terminate your subscription monthly, I don't mind. The cost for 1 month is equal or less than the cost of buying a season of a tv show on DVD. Since I almost never watch something a second time, it's actually better for me this way.

If I like something, I watch it over and over again. So it is definitely worthwhile for me to buy the DVD/BluRays of those shows.

I don't know how many times I've binged Leverage, Burn Notice, Moonlight, The Dresden Files, Royal Pains, Covert Affair, Suits, Heroes, Warehouse 13, Star Trek, Barney Miller, Spartacus, Haven, Lost Girl, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (both series), Farscape, or any number of TV seasons I own.

As long as DVD/BluRay players don't go the way of the Dodo or laserdisc player, I'm good.

=)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases