Paizo News Roundup: Reach of the Empire, Secret of Roderick's Cove, and War for the Crown

Hello again EN World faithfuls and welcome back to the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! We’re hot in the middle of the ENnies right now, but we don’t care about that here at the Roundup! We care about the FUTURE, not the now, no matter how fleeting that future sight may be. Regardless! We have a few Adventure Paths coming down the pike, and a couple of extra goodies for DMs still in the throes of the past. The PAST! Pssht. ONWARD!

Hello again EN World faithfuls and welcome back to the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! We’re hot in the middle of the ENnies right now, but we don’t care about that here at the Roundup! We care about the FUTURE, not the now, no matter how fleeting that future sight may be. Regardless! We have a few Adventure Paths coming down the pike, and a couple of extra goodies for DMs still in the throes of the past. The PAST! Pssht. ONWARD!

First up to the plate is the newest Adventure Path for our Starfinder readers out there. One of the novel three-installment Adventure Paths that Starfinder is toying with, Against the Aeon Throne sees the characters set against the merciless and advanced Azlanti Empire. The Reach of the Empire, the first of the Adventure Paths, kicks off the excitement with the discovery that the Azlanti Star Empire has invaded and occupied a Pact World colony out in the untamed Vast. Not only have the Azlanti taken an experimental starship drive, but they’ve kidnapped an old friend of the characters’. THE SCOUNDRELS!

A DM at heart, I’m more interested in the toys that they get in any given Adventure Path, and this one has toys in abundance. Not only does it include the expected gazette and history of the primary location, but it also really fills out the roster of starships available in Starfinder, from the advanced Azlanti warships to the experimental starship macguffin that kicks this all of. Also, new monsters! Like living magma and something that is oh-so-delightedly called “devouring ooze”. I might have to start picking these up in earnest.

Now, speaking of Adventure Paths, it looks like the next Pathfinder Adventure Path is calling back to the very FIRST Adventure Path. Looks like they’re going for a nice closing of the loop! Rise of the Runelords dealt with the apocalyptic awakening of a terrible being known as a Runelord. Pathfinder Adventure Path #133: Secrets of Roderic’s Cove is the first of a six-part series called RETURN OF THE RUNELORDS. Ooooooooh!

If you thought ONE Runelord was bad enough, how does SIX sound? One for every Adventure Path, I’d bet. The first wailing angry Thassilonian ghost arises in the town of Roderic’s Cove, just in time for the gangs there to figure out how to use the ancient runes for their own gain! It’s time for daring adventurers to step up and end the threat before it gets out of control – if they can!

Like all Adventure Paths, this one includes a gazette and some new monsters, although I will say (again) that new Pathfinder monsters just sound like Scrabble jumble to me. What really piques my interest about this one is the history on each of the Runelords and how they avoided destruction during the apocalyptic Earthfall.

For Dungeon Masters who haven’t been able to get to the War for the Crown adventure path, there’s some good news to reward your patience. Paizo is releasing a beautiful three-map folio to go with the War for the Crown adventure path. Pathfinder Campaign Setting: War for the Crown Map Folio includes three maps detailing ever-expanding views of Oppara, Meratt, and Taldor, the settings for the War for the Crown AP. Personally, as a cartographer, I wish they would let us know who’s getting showcased on the cover, but I always look forward to seeing a pro at work.

Well, that’s it for this edition of the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! Do you think there will be anything left for 1E after the newest AP? Sound off in the comments!

This article was contributed by Ben Reece (LongGoneWrier) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

Now, speaking of Adventure Paths, it looks like the next Pathfinder Adventure Path is calling back to the very FIRST Adventure Path. Looks like they’re going for a nice closing of the loop! Rise of the Runelords dealt with the apocalyptic awakening of a terrible being known as a Runelord. Pathfinder Adventure Path #133: Secrets of Roderic’s Cove is the first of a six-part series called RETURN OF THE RUNELORDS. Ooooooooh!

If you thought ONE Runelord was bad enough, how does SIX sound? One for every Adventure Path, I’d bet. The first wailing angry Thassilonian ghost arises in the town of Roderic’s Cove, just in time for the gangs there to figure out how to use the ancient runes for their own gain! It’s time for daring adventurers to step up and end the threat before it gets out of control – if they can!
I thought the Runelord of Sloth was killed by the Pathfinder Society? Wouldn't it just be 5 runelords then, unless Avarice is coming back from the dead.

I thought the Runelord of Sloth was killed by the Pathfinder Society? Wouldn't it just be 5 runelords then, unless Avarice is coming back from the dead.

I know nothing of the setting/APs but couldn't a new runelord have taken up the mantle of Sloth or Avarice. "The runelord is dead, long live the runelord." that sort of thing.

I know nothing of the setting/APs but couldn't a new runelord have taken up the mantle of Sloth or Avarice. "The runelord is dead, long live the runelord." that sort of thing.
Not really. The Runelords are the rulers of an ancient evil empire that froze themselves in various ways 10,000 years prior to escape an apocalyptic event. They're kinda hard to replace.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I enjoy the art on the cover of the Runelord AP, is it Eric Belisle?

also, in mock jest, where's the outrage that paizo is re-doing an adventure since we tend to here it for WoTC stuff in 5e? :)

Remove ads

Remove ads