The Castlevania Chronicles – D&D Edition

Lately, I’ve been playing through all of the old Castlevania video games and began seriously considering crafting a homebrew version of original NES game for my next Dungeons & Dragons campaign. As I began thinking about what I’d like to incorporate into a homebrew version of Castlevania, my mind wandered over to the horror-themed D&D campaign setting, Ravenloft.

Most of us are already familiar with the Ravenloft in some capacity. Whether it’s the original adventure module or its sequel (1st Edition), the official campaign setting (2E), the independent D20 system game (3E), the board game (4E) or the Curse of Strahd sourcebook (5E), it’s difficult be into Dungeons & Dragons without possessing at least a passing knowledge of Ravenloft. I like to run Ravenloft each October, as a fun D&D Halloween celebration.

Ravenloft, originally written by Tracy and Lauara Hickman, focused on the machinations of the tyrannical Count Strahd von Zarovich a vampire with an interesting back story and randomly determined motivations. The players end up in the land of Barovia, on a quest to defeat Strahd. There’s a twist here, as the DM draws cards that randomly determine the locations of Strahd, a tome of Strahd and two magical weapons for defeating the vampire.

It’s a scary, fun, stressful module and proved popular enough to spawn a sequel, a book series, a second edition campaign setting and at least three revised versions of the original. Some elements from the original module were incorporated into the 5th edition Curse of Strahd adventure/campaign release, such as the fantastic Tarokka Deck, Strahd’s personality and some of the adventure itself.

What got me thinking about it in the first place was the similarity in the artwork for both titles. Did You Know Gaming made a nice infographic illustrating the difference and admittedly, there’s an eerie resemblance to Ravenloft in the artwork for Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest. The “Hmm…this could work” moment came sometimes last year, as I read my copy of Curse of Strahd.
So, how can I use Ravenloft as a basis for my Castlevania homebrew?

To begin with, I’ll need to determine a decent adventure hook. Taking a cue from Ravenloft, I’m planning to use the Tarokka deck and Strahd as a replacement for Dracula. The adventure starts out like the original Ravenloft module. PCs meet in the village of Wallachia and begin tehir quest. The looming specter of Castlevania itself in the distance.

Once the players take the hook, the story will branch off from I want to take the party through the six or so levels of the original game. This requires additional planning; more on that later. Right now, we need to focus on the players.

I considered taking a Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse approach and having the players RP as the primary characters from that game—Vampire Hunter Trevor Belmont (fighter), Sorceress Sypha Belnades (elemental soreceress), Alucard (wizard/fighter) and pirate Grant DaNasty (rogue), going through the locations of the first game. This is one option.

I could let PCs roll up their own characters and take them through the locations of the original Castlevania. Either way, I plan to incorporate original series hero Simon Belmont as a major NPC in the campaign. This part’s easy—EN World’s own D&D Homebrew Master and all around incredible guy, Mike Myler spent some time coming up with an excellent version of Simon Belmont for D&D 5th edition at his RPG Material of Many Genres website.

There’s still extensive prep work to be done, but a Castlevania D&D homebrew sure does sound like fun!

This article was contributed by David J. Buck (Nostalgia Ward) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its a fun idea.

Curse of Strahd includes pretty much all of the original module, just about everything from the castle and Barovia in I6 was tweaked for 5e and to fit into the bigger adventure, but it all there.

Also, unless your players are huge Castlevania fans, they will want to make their own characters.

Barantor

Explorer
With the anime out and set to have another season on Netflix in October this would be a great idea to do as a one shot or series of adventures to play in the lead up to Halloween. Lots of stuff to draw on from that anime too with it's cast of characters.

Amusing ... I had a player once who ran a Castlevania-inspired vampire hunter character with a whip as the primary weapon.

In 3E. Where whips do nonlethal damage. And undead are immune to nonlethal damage.

The sacrifices some roleplayers make for art, I tell you ...

Aaron L

Hero
I'd portray Belmont as a Ranger of the Monster Slayer archetype (from Xanathar's Guide to Everything,) with Undead as his primary favored enemy. That archetype was pretty much designed as a vampire slayer, and it fits the Belmont family as professional vampire/monster hunters perfectly.

That is unless you want to be a purist and not have a magic-using Belmont. But considering the way the special weapon effects work in the videogames, I think re-envisioning them as magic spells would fit just fine.

And, as Barantor mentioned, the Castlevania anime is up on Netflix, with the second season dropping in October, and it is friggin' amazing. I got chills at several points. It would be a wonderful resource of plot and setting material.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I popped in here to mention that Simon Belmont made it onto the repository but you beat me to it! Mad props! I'll add that Venger might be good to use in that capacity. ;)

I played in a D&D (3.5) Castlevania campaign set in Ravenloft. It covered an expanded Castlevania 1 and 2 (with backstory), and the big bad was still Dracula. Simon Belmont was a DMPC because no one actually wanted to play him. It was pretty fun.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
You'll have to specify to the players which Castlevania game you're emulating. In II, the onset of night doubled the hit points of the mooks. In III, your character was followed by The Nothing (same decade reference?), which would promptly kill you if you fell into it while climbing a tower.

Also not sure if D&D is the game you want to bring Castlevania to life. The Zweihander setting seems to be, well, Castlevania. It's worth a look-see.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases