Collaborating with Your DM

Is your D&D game a battle of DM versus players? Or do you prefer a collaborative relationship over an adversarial one?

Before I dig into this, let me be clear: the best style of play is whatever your group prefers. I’m not here to tell you your fun is wrong. If everyone is enjoying the game, that’s the only thing that matters!

However, I know a lot of people who had unpleasant experiences with DMs who came to the table and gleefully announced their intention to shoot for a TPK. In other cases, the DM wasn’t that aggressive, but enjoyed running a world in which the players felt they didn’t have much agency and characters existed mostly as pawns in the DM’s story. If your group isn’t that into roleplay, it can work.

I support a more collaborative approach for groups that enjoy lots of roleplay, so the whole group tells the story. Long campaigns especially benefit from this approach. The DM still has plenty of control, but involves the players heavily so their characters affect the story instead of merely walking through activities. It works best when all the players are onboard with this approach, so everyone has a little breathing room for character exploration. Personally, I like playing in a game where I’m a fan of the other characters and am excited to see what they do even when my character isn’t there.

This method does require a bit more preparation outside the game, for DM and players alike. But it’s fun! When you’re collaborating with someone, it’s a bit like getting some extra play time.

The main campaign I’m playing in currently has five regular PCs: a well-adjusted barbarian, an arcane archer/professional prizefighter in a wrestling-style kirin mask, and three enormous drama llamas (one of which is my character). It’s a nice balance because everyone has goals and desires as individuals and as a group, but not everyone is in a pit of existential horror all the time. We’ve formed an interesting unit, and can help each other with various problems.

This campaign is RP-intensive, so our DM works with each of us separately from time to time to find out what our characters are feeling, what they hope to accomplish in the short-term and long-term, etc. He consistently requests feedback, and always is receptive to emails about character business between games. It’s nice knowing that he’s interested in what we want, both as players and characters, and we see these conversations bear fruit in the game.

Over time, I’ve learned to trust him with that information. This trust is crucial. I wouldn’t feel as comfortable getting so deep into roleplay in a game where the DM only intended to use personal insight to torture the characters. In this case, we know he cares about us players as people. He’s definitely going to use that information to fuel drama. That’s part of the job. But there’s a difference between being ruthless and being careless. He maintains a good sense of each player’s threshold for fictional pain, which is important and keeps it fun -- even when we’re crying or having in-character nightmares in real life.

(That actually happened last week. I had my character’s nightmare. I mentioned this while hanging out with my game group and our DM was perhaps a little too excited to get all the details. I take it as proof that the game is going well though. It’s gotten under my skin enough that my brain is still playing when I’m asleep! That’s amazing! But if you don’t want to get quite that intense, that’s okay too.)

Yet another benefit: a collaborative approach bleeds over into the way players interact with each other. When you spend enough time delving into characters, you might end up having in-character, out-of-game conversations like I talked about a few weeks ago.

I don’t mean to suggest that DMs should soften all the edges and make every session a picnic at Hugs and Puppies National Park...unless that’s what you all want, of course. You can fill your game with plenty of dramatic tension and thrills, but balance it with opportunities for characters to stop and have feelings. Then it will actually make an impact when the DM occasionally springs a major trap. They get the joy of watching players freak out in a truly meaningful way, and players get the rush from that emotional rollercoaster. If that sounds good to you, try it! It’s well worth the effort.

This article was contributed by Annie Bulloch as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Good article.

As an aside, releasing a group of old-school experience point hungry murderhobos into "Hugs and Puppy National Park" would be a session to remember.

I suspect the park would need to be renamed afterwards...

A DM announcing gleefully that there might be a TPK is a sure warning sign. A DM is victorious when their players have fun, not when their monsters win.

I find that running a game where the PC’s actions and internal existence (i.e., what they feel and want) matters really helps with player involvement and enjoyment.

As a DM, I love those collaborative moments where I get to pass the mic to a player: “Heira, you’ve landed the killing blow on the frost giant king; tell us what happens to him.” Or: “Garivar, the trip through the woods with your companions is mostly uneventful…except, tell us what those pilgrims do to cause your group some trouble?”

Oofta

Legend
One of my goals, whether I'm always successful or not, is to ensure that the players feel like their PC's actions make a difference in the campaign world and that what matters to the PCs makes a difference in the tone of the campaign.

Some people don't care, they just want to roll some dice and eat some junk food while making bad jokes which is great. But I've always encouraged people to write stories (even if it's just a paragraph or two) from their character's perspective. What did the PC think of the captain of the guard? Are they intrigued by where the red fog is coming from or did they just agree to find out what's happening because they're going to get paid?

Creating a living, breathing world can be a pain but it's also a big part of why I play.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hugs and puppies at national parks are awesome . . . IRL.

In my games, however, its owlbear hugs and that mama dire wolf isn't going to be happy with you petting her pup in the Lich King's forest.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I go middle of the road with a lean to collaborative. My players know I won't pull punches, but I'll also toss in the occasional technical tip if a player forgets an ability ("your smite does radiant damage"), wants to do something but doesn't quite know if they'd even stand a chance (you know your own body, it's an athletic check, still considering it?), and during planning maybe a devil's advocate ("don't forget, they'll probably have archers on that wall...").

As far as world-building or story-building, depends on the game. Since my gamers lean towards story-based adventures such as Curse of Strahd, they focus more on their interactions with my NPCs. Our collaboration, I suppose, is that the more genuine my NPCs, the more my players get involved. The more of that, the richer the game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Side question: why is this thread in the 5e forum? The article and subsequent discussion can be applied to many systems - shouldn't this be in General?

pming

Legend
Hiya!

...and from the other side of the screen...

As a DM, if my players want something, they need to go after it. I don't want a Player to tell me OOC that his character wants to find a girlfriend and then expect me to 'make it happen'. If a Player wants to get his PC into a family, with a wife, kids, a pair of dogs, and a small farm just outside town...it's not up to me to make sure all the stars align so that they can find a perfect wife, have perfect children, have perfectly loyal and trained dogs, and have a perfect farm for just the amount of money that he has saved up via adventuring.

Don't get me wrong. I, as a DM, am not going to go the opposite either (re: have him get screwed by a gold digger, find out he's infertile, etc). I'm going to run the world as the world. As a Player it is up to him to put in the PC effort to find out a good place to "pick up chicks", so to speak, learn about raising dogs, check out the area he's interested in buying or building a farm, how to actually live on a farm, etc.

As for a PC Party, well-balanced is best. Also, Good alignment for everyone also helps greatly (you'd be surprised how much the parties capabilities and planning change when everyone is LG, NG with maybe a single CG). But that's not for me to decide. That's on the Players. As a DM, the "world at large and everything in it" doesn't give two flying harpies about the PC's and their "goals" or "desires". This means that I, as a DM, also need to at least put on the poker-face of "I don't care either". Of course, I do care...sometimes I'm happy to see a PC bite it due to them just being, well, disruptive d-bags. Other times I'm saddened to see a PC die. Mostly I'm just a bit disappointing I don't get to see what that PC would have become.

As a DM who is "neutral", like me (generally), I actually find that when the Players don't see me as a "cooperator" in the sense described in the OP, that they will talk about things "as a party" outside of the game a bit more. They know that I pay attention to get a vibe of what direction they are heading, desire wise, in the game. If they keep talking a lot about getting out of the city and checking out that spot on the map called "The Cave of Whispers"...I know to brush up on my underground survival notes and that area in particular. The only time we all talk "as a collective group, everyone deciding equally" is when we are at session 0 of something. We discuss what 'focus' we want...intrigue, exploration, big wars/battles, undead-focused, underground dungeon delving, etc. But after that...I cut them loose in the world and off they go!

When I, as DM, get a "rush" from seeing the Players excited for whatever reason...be it a series of crazy rolls, or a political situation they got themselves into where consequences for failure are significant, or maybe two PC's have both decided they want to woo the same NPC, etc... it's not because I "listened to what they wanted and then set it up to come about". From the DM side of things...it's not a surprise. I'm not going to feel that same level of "excitement" if I knew this 'scene' was coming up. Like trying to watch a murder mystery twice. Once by yourself...and then once with your friends. Sure, it's cool to know when to watch their faces for the "big twist", but it, to me at least, is infinitely more meaningful when I see it at the same time my friends do and we all look at each other with a gobsmacked stare and say "....No...effing...WAY....!" O_O The ONLY way I've gotten that is when I specifically don't plan/decide/steer the game towards that goal/encounter/reveal.

So, to sum up, where I sit as a DM, working with and listening to your players is good for "broad stroke" campaign decisions when doing prep work for the next session. If they seem interested in getting some treasure via dungeon bashing...I know to get maps drawn, write up some wandering monster charts for various areas around where the PC's are currently at in the world, maybe come up with a couple "weird things going on" that NPCs can relate over a tankard of brew, that sort of thing. I set the stages, they choose which one interests them. Or, often enough, they'll do a 180 and say "Hey! We're at a port town, right? Lets go be pirates!". But that's ok. Because I have it covered. I have notes on ship names, types, cost to buy or pay for passage, rumors about buried treasure, lost islands, and horrible sea monsters. Why do I have that? Because I never know exactly what the Players will decide and therefor need at least some guidelines to "everything around the PC's". If all I did was focus on "working with the players" to build/create a custom-tailored session specifically for their PC's goals and desires, well, I wouldn't be surprised. They wouldn't be surprised. Nobody would be surprised. We all would "see it coming" at least a session or two away. It wouldn't' be "...no...effing...WAY...!", and instead it would be "...Oh...right...guess that's Bill's que...", and then Bill would have to, hmm... "fake role-play?" his characters surprise and alarm at the sudden unexpected arrival of the Spanish inquisition. The reality being that something like this sudden arrival was going to happen at some point.

I'm honestly not trying to poo-poo the OP's idea. As she said...play the game that makes you happy. And that is so-o true! Could I run a game like the OP and enjoy it? Yes. Absolutely. In fact, I HAVE ran games like that (but not for D&D; one was for Marvel Super Heroes Advanced Set ["FASERIP"] and one was for some other game I can't remember...they were both a LONG time ago...decades...). But, for me and my players at least, we discovered that we enjoyed the "random and unplanned" RP'ing surprises and twists and turns and all that so much more when they came about, well, organically and unexpectedly. You only get that if, as DM, you divorce yourself from the "co-operative" DM'ing style and move more into the "neutral and uncaring" DM'ing style. At least that's the only way I've been able to be truly surprised by some turn of RP'ing and PC interaction events.

YMMV.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

autumnfyr

Explorer
I always try to balance encounters, or at least let the players know if an encounter may be too easy or hard. If I start a game night "gleefully" talking about a TPK, it's a sign to my players that they might be in over their heads, and after 20-something years, my players still don't always take the hint. At that point, let the chips fall where they may.

pming

Legend
Hiya!
[MENTION=21401]autumnfyr[/MENTION], " If I start a game night "gleefully" talking about a TPK, it's a sign to my players that they might be in over their heads"

...huh...sounds like me before every session.

;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases