DM's Guild Roundup: Eberron, Eberron, and More Eberron

Welcome to the DM's Guild Roundup! This issue we have three tomes that talk about Eberron, introducing new players to the fantastic world and welcoming back those who have been there before. Let's dust off these tomes and have a look inside.

I could see a lot of people, beings both strange and beautiful to my eyes, the likes of which I had never seen. Short and tall, bestial and humanoid, some seemed familiar and others truly alien. It was not until the mechanical being clunked over to me and began to speak that I was sure I gated into a world that was nowhere near my own.

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron
Lead Designer: Keith Baker

This is the official release from Wizards of the Coast created under the original designer of Eberron, Keith Baker. Broken into six chapters (with a few appendices attached), the guide gives a nice overview of the world and the primary locations on Eberron. If you are a player who is new to Eberron, the guide will give you everything that you need to begin a campaign there. For those who have been to Eberron before, the guide offers a quick update to the D&D 5th edition rules as needed. This is especially true of the races section, which gives the stats for the original Eberron races: changeling, kalashtar, shifter, and warforged. The guide also offers an overview of Sharn, a city that figures quite prominently, and the dragonmarks, another important aspect of an Eberron campaign. Ready for some pulp adventure? Then go ahead and pick up the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron.

Note: We will be publishing a more in depth review of this product tomorrow!

Encounters in Sharn
Written by: Various; Edited by James Introcaso

Every new Eberron DM is going to need some adventures to run and there are 12 well written Encounters in Sharn for you to use. These adventures offer up a variety of challenges and are conveniently broken into both tier 1 and tier 2 content. Although optimized for the middle levels of those tiers, the tier 1 adventures are mostly fine for starting adventurers. Playing through the adventures should provide enough content to get a party well into tier 2 content before having to rely heavily on home brewed adventures. This is a Guild Adept product and is well designed and laid out, making navigation easy. Most of these adventures should be able to be completed in one evening. Encounters in Sharn are designed to work with the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron.
Of note are Callestan Clash, by Ashley Warren, which I thought was fun, and Possession is Nine-Tenths, which has a wide range of content in terms of party level. But all the adventures are worth running on their own or as basic ideas for the DM to expand.

Razorclaw

Written by: Travis Legge

Are you looking for another shifter sub race? Well thanks to Travis Legge you have the Razorclaw. This is a very short piece that focuses entirely on the sub-race and is a PWYW. A great bargain really for an interesting sub-race. The author's vision for the razorclaw was to have a shifter that is strong and stealthy, reminiscent of the great cats. If you enjoy this product, Travis has plenty of other content worth checking out.

This article was contributed by Sean Hillman (SMHWorlds) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Keep wondering were the psionics are seeing as it was so ingrained in the setting
I think the amount psionics is ingrained in Eberron can be a little overstated. Outside of the kalashtar, the quori and Riedra, it's not really a major theme within the setting.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I think the amount psionics is ingrained in Eberron can be a little overstated. Outside of the kalashtar, the quori and Riedra, it's not really a major theme within the setting.

Exactly. Here's a quote from Keith Baker's site from about two years ago:
"Psionics. I remember reading the psionics rules in the appendix of my old AD&D manuals. They’ve been a part of D&D since the early days, and yet they’ve never really seemed to fit in (with the notable exception of Dark Sun). I wanted a way to integrate them into the world… and yet, a way that allowed people who just don’t like psionics in their fantasy to remove them without too much difficulty. This led to the Kalashtar, the Inspired, and the storyline of Sarlona – a distant and mysterious continent where Psionics were the foundation of society in the same way that magic was used in Khorvaire. If I’d been starting COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH and didn’t have psionics already in the mix, it’s quite possible I wouldn’t have added them in."

It seems from the start that they created Eberron to have an intended place for psionics to be a fully realized part of the world, but seperate enough from what makes Eberron truly Eberron that they could be easily ignored by DMs/groups that dislike psionics.

I'm sure once psionics are an official part of the 5e rules there'll be a slew of new content from Keith and others on the DM's Guild about Sarlona and Kalasthar and the Inspired but until then you can easily run multiple Eberron campaigns without really worrying about them.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases