Fantasy Grounds Usage Stats Confirms D&D #1, Followed by Pathfinder, Savage Worlds

Hot on the heels of ICv2's latest industry report are the Quarter 2, 2018 usage statistics for the virtual tabletop, Fantasy Grounds. They tell a similar, but not identical story, with D&D 5E in the lead, followed by Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and more. FG reports that D&D increased by 50%, and Pathfinder by 29% in the same time frame.

2018-03 Games by Ruleset in 12 months.jpg

2018-03 FG Rulesets Trends in last 6 months.jpg

2018-03 Top Games by Ruleset.jpg

"Core RPG" refers to Fantasy Grounds' generic module which can be used to play a variety of systems.

4th isn’t a bad game, it’s just not a very good version of D&D. And if you can automate some of the more intense quirks of the system, like I have a feeling roll 20 can, it would be a blast to play on a computer.

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5.0, but I am most happy to see that Savage Worlds is going strong. It's a great game for almost any genre. The character generation and the play mechanics work well in modern, fantasy, sci-fi, and other settings. I ran a 3-session zombie apocalypse game in June and the SW engine was fast and smooth. My large group (6 players) didn't argue about the rules once!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Does "AD&D" include 1e and 2e, or just 1e, or just 2e?

Also, I'm surprised not to see any 0e D&D or BECMI or similar on this list - does Fantasy Grounds not support these?

smiteworks

Explorer
There is an OSRIC ruleset and a few other variants that look like they might be 1E. They were not large enough to make the top list. It's also possible that people are using either CoreRPG or MoreCORE to run those games since those are generic systems with mutable in-app character sheets.

Retreater

Legend
I'm rediscovering the joys of 4e, not only on FG, but also at convention games. This is partially due to Matt Colville's and Jim Murphy's passion for the system.
I'd love to run one in real life again.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases