Gail Gygax Sued By Movie Producer

In June it transpired that Gail Gygax, the widow of D&D co-creator Gary Gygax was being sued. This isn't the first time she has been embroiled in legal disputes, there having been major family disputes between her and Gygax's children over recent years, but this is the first time with a Hollywood movie producer!

295233_10151109907297425_1033548626_n.jpg

According to Variety, the Gygax estate partnered with De Santo to oversee the catalogue of published and unpublished works. In June of this year, according to the Courthouse News Service, "Tom DeSanto — producer of “Xmen” and “Transformers” — sued Gail Gygax — the widow of Gary Gygax, creator of “Dungeons & Dragons,” claiming they formed a partnership to exploit the brand, but she tried to negotiate a video game deal without him, in L.A. Superior Court."

That this is ongoing has been confirmed yesterday by a public Facebook post from Gail Gygax, which reiterates that she is being sued in California by Tom DeSanto (X-Men, Transformers) and New Myth Entertainment for $30M over plans to publish Gary's original dungeon. The post is below, verbatim, although it has been edited a few times, as can be seen in the post's edit history, and it's a little incoherent.

"What is on my mind?@

The 30 million lawsuit Tom DeSanto filed against me in CA, the prestigious producer, lol,DELAYS MY HOPE TO PUBLISH Gary's original dungeon. An historical work.
I guess i will be losing our home and Garys dungeon.

I am 62 years old. Can any one say Elder Abuse? Hunter. The thought of losing our home in the next two weeks has me devastated.

No one, except my agent has stepped up to defend me. She was fired from APA. TOM deSanto said to me an agent from APA was up on child molestation and basically said they were a third rate agency. Also that he knows the owner. Wow. Then my fantastic agent gets fired from the agency he, Tom, said was third rate.

My agent is fantastic and I can only say after many years in LA, she is the best.

I almost died in 2014 when Luke and Ernie sued me, and Margaret Weis. Shocking Margaret as Gary was so kind to you.

Weis as a board member. Not sure why She was so negative against me other than to gain financial control over the Gygax trademark..

I believe Tom DeSanto, accordinding to his email wants to strip me of our home and all properties Gary and i were working. On.

I refuse to attend GarybCon as Luke Gygax is so very negative to me. I love our much beloved Gen Con, however due to what i believe are Luke Gygaxes rants with his friends against me i am afraid to attend Gen Con. I would not to put Peter in a bad position. .Peter and Gen Con has only been respectful and loving to me and Alexander.

My home has been invaded, there was a trip wire by my back step to kill me and I know what is missing from our home.

My stepchildren places a headstone without a body. It reads. E Gary Gygax. Beloved Father and Grandfather. So my step childrens hatred of me is front and center. I was his beloved wife. No respect from them. I was shocked and dismayed when Harold Jog son informed me of this act at Gen Con. I was indeed devastated and bed ridden for two months.

With NO CONCERN FROM MY STEP CHILDREN.

I was Told by Chris Hoffner if i didnt licence GaryCon to him they would run over me.

Nice. I created GaryCon in my husbands memory. Guess my stepchildren cant share with me and Alex.

i can only believe TOM DESANTO AND NEW MYTH entertainment with David Ranes has victomized me. Not sure calling the FBI TOMORROW

Tom is suing me for $30mil. I asked my stepchildren to help me. Only to get the answer from Luke if i didnt make him branding manager there would be no agreement with his sibblings. What doess that even mean?. He wants control over my 30+ year company.

So i start a new jouney to make sure my husbands works are brought forward. I am disappointed Hasbro WOTC will not return my emails.

I WANT garys original dungeon i. With HIS original rules. Dungeons and Dragons.

I hope i have support for this historical moment.

Mrs. E. Gary Gygax
I will love him until the day i die. He was a truly special man. I was so honored to be married to him."

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I can't evaluate her statement, but I know she got Gygax magazine shut down, raised money for a statue that may never be built, is involved in a video game project that probably isn't going to go anywhere and seems to have alienated everyone she has or potentially could work with.

But it could all be other people's fault.

As much as I’ve been critical and bitter about Gail Gygax’s handling of Gary’s IP (and still am), this post is worrisome. While some of it no doubt comes from the multiple edits and writing while distraught, it gives a real sense of mental decline, of a person out-of-touch with reality.

Nagol

Unimportant
As much as I’ve been critical and bitter about Gail Gygax’s handling of Gary’s IP (and still am), this post is worrisome. While some of it no doubt comes from the multiple edits and writing while distraught, it gives a real sense of mental decline, of a person out-of-touch with reality.

or posting under the influence. Can't diagnose from a single arms-length data point.

aco175

Legend
Soooo, What- no new movie. The last few were great, well maybe ok, well maybe direct to DVD ok.

I know very little on her and the children and how that all shakes out, so I do not want to pass judgement. I hope it gets settled and he gets his statue after all. Also hope it does not get torn down in 100 years for devil worshiping or something.

Kaodi

Hero
Seems like a real piece of work to me. Looking at this old thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?332022-Gygax-Magazine-UPDATE-3-Electric-Boogaloo , I wonder how in Christ anyone would trust anyone who describes the attachment of someone to their own father like this:

" Please respect my wished to change the caption of this thread to:

Gygax Magazine? {UPDATE -, does not have the support of the "Gygax Family Estate" }

I wish to clear up any confusion I am the proper owner of the use of the name of my late husband, E. Gary Gygax. And furthermore would ask respect from his public and children from his first marriage, who are fully aware I own all rights to the use of his name and likeness, and all intellectual properties.

We have previously informed Jason Elliot of my ownership rights.

I can understand the enthusiasm for this project and will remain neutral in regard to its merits however, not at the expense of the Gary Gygax Estate, which represents his wishes."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I can't evaluate her statement, but I know she got Gygax magazine shut down
Which is too bad, as that thing had some serious promise.
raised money for a statue that may never be built
Having donated to that project I'm a bit curious whatever became of it.
is involved in a video game project that probably isn't going to go anywhere and seems to have alienated everyone she has or potentially could work with.
Except maybe, going by the tone of her post, Peter Adkison and GenCon. Thus far.

Zarithar

Adventurer
She's loopy and needs help. The end. I fully support Luke & Ernie Gygax and others who have worked to preserve the legacy of D&D and to push it forward to such amazing new heights.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases