Gale Force Nine Sign Master License for Dune ‘Games’; Modiphius Designing RPG!
  • Gale Force Nine Sign Master License for Dune ‘Games’; Modiphius Designing RPG!


    Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.


    (Cover of the Last Unicorn/WotC Dune RPG; 2000)

    The license agreement, with Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC, allows Gale Force Nine to produce tabletop games covering the length and breadth of the Dune franchise, including the novels of Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, as well as the upcoming Dune movie directed by Denis Villeneuve.

    The agreement allows GF9 to work with other game companies on various projects, across a number of categories. The first of these to be announced is with Modiphius Entertainment, who have a track record of working with licensed properties such as Star Trek, John Carter of Mars, Fallout and Kung Fu Panda. Modiphius will be developing a new Dune tabletop RPG, slated for release in late 2019. This will be the first time Dune has appeared as an RPG since the Last Unicorn/Wizards of the Coast edition which appeared as a limited edition run in 2000.

    The full range of tabletop games, including board and miniature games, are slated to hit the market just prior to Legendary’s theatrical release of Villeneuve’s Dune in 2020.
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. TrippyHippy's Avatar
      TrippyHippy -
      For me, could be a 'next big thing' - both the games and the movies.
    1. Scrivener of Doom's Avatar
      Scrivener of Doom -
      I wonder if they will tap Matthew Colville to contribute?
    1. LuisCarlos17f's Avatar
      LuisCarlos17f -
      Dune is other example of a sci-fi setting getting old badly. The new generations miss a lot of normal things in our current days but not shown in the old sci-fi works. This is the reason some sci-fi writers would ratner write about fantasy now.

      "Dune" has some interesting ideas for a RPG but we should break the canon to create a mash-up+reboot.
    1. ConflictZ's Avatar
      ConflictZ -
      It's hard to imagine it has taken this long for someone to pick up this awesome IP but I'm glad they did. Also love that Modiphius got the nod for the RPG. They have really been putting out some excellent games and the quality is top notch.
    1. Wraith Form's Avatar
      Wraith Form -
      If it's that 2d20 garbage rule set.....major disappointment.

      I hope they pursue a different rules engine.
    1. ConflictZ's Avatar
      ConflictZ -
      To each his own I suppose
    1. Doctor Futurity -
      This is really exciting news!

      Dune, done properly, could make for a really rich, dark future SF setting.
    1. dragoner's Avatar
      dragoner -
      I read up to Chapter House, the whole thing about the Honored Matres controlling people through sex was meh, so I stopped there. I take it that it will probably cover the initial setting just from the book Dune, because later books aren't so game-able, imo.
    1. BrockBallingdark -
      I'm in if it's the 2d20 engine, otherwise not interested.
    1. vivsavage's Avatar
      vivsavage -
      I really hope this turns out to be a successful line. That said, the 2d20 rule system would probably preclude me from playing it. Please don't shoehorn Dune into an existing system; rules should be crafted for the setting, a la The One Ring.
    1. Jay Verkuilen's Avatar
      Jay Verkuilen -
      Quote Originally Posted by ConflictZ View Post
      It's hard to imagine it has taken this long for someone to pick up this awesome IP but I'm glad they did. Also love that Modiphius got the nod for the RPG. They have really been putting out some excellent games and the quality is top notch.
      There have been other Dune RPGs. Last Unicorn Games had both Star Trek and Dune about 20 years ago. I'm not sure what happened but the deal fell apart. I suspect that the Herbert Estate is painful to deal with, but really don't know. I too like Modiphius' games. I've played STA and very briefly run Conan and very much enjoyed the 2D20 system, which I think could be a very good fit for a dramatic game that has a good bit of combat in it.
    1. Jay Verkuilen's Avatar
      Jay Verkuilen -
      Quote Originally Posted by vivsavage View Post
      I really hope this turns out to be a successful line. That said, the 2d20 rule system would probably preclude me from playing it. Please don't shoehorn Dune into an existing system; rules should be crafted for the setting, a la The One Ring.
      2D20 system games have been pretty customized. It's really a task resolution system, not so much a unified system per se. For instance, Conan has different stats than STA. I personally think it would be a very good fit for Dune, but would be interested in your reasoning why you don't.
    1. Jay Verkuilen's Avatar
      Jay Verkuilen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Futurity View Post
      Dune, done properly, could make for a really rich, dark future SF setting.
      Fading Suns was clearly strongly influenced by Dune. It had a lot of great material. The system was shaky, though. I'd have been much happier playing or running it with something like 2D20, that's for sure.
    1. vivsavage's Avatar
      vivsavage -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jay Verkuilen View Post
      2D20 system games have been pretty customized. It's really a task resolution system, not so much a unified system per se. For instance, Conan has different stats than STA. I personally think it would be a very good fit for Dune, but would be interested in your reasoning why you don't.
      I'm probably not being fair. My only 2d20 experience is Conan, for which I have a marked dislike. It is far too involved for something that should play fast and loose (IMHO). So that system has be really soured on 2d20. Perhaps John Carter will change my mind.
    1. Jay Verkuilen's Avatar
      Jay Verkuilen -
      Quote Originally Posted by vivsavage View Post
      I'm probably not being fair. My only 2d20 experience is Conan, for which I have a marked dislike. It is far too involved for something that should play fast and loose (IMHO). So that system has be really soured on 2d20. Perhaps John Carter will change my mind.
      Conan with all the trimmings is indeed pretty complicated, although I think once the players know how it works it'd be faster than many other pretty detailed combat-heavy games (e.g., Exalted). If you run without hit location and some other things it's not as fiddly. Still, Dune has a good bit of detailed combat scenes and the like so I think it probably would need to have some detail, at least as optional rules. STA is definitely much more loose.
    1. Remus Lupin's Avatar
      Remus Lupin -
      Man I would still like to get my hands on the Last Unicorn/WotC version that never saw the light of day. The little bit of the artwork that got revealed looked SO GOOD!
    1. CubicsRube's Avatar
      CubicsRube -
      If they let me play a juiced up mentat assassin, I'm in!

      I'll work around the system.

      It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..
    1. Dire Bare's Avatar
      Dire Bare -
      Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
      Man I would still like to get my hands on the Last Unicorn/WotC version that never saw the light of day. The little bit of the artwork that got revealed looked SO GOOD!
      Oh, it saw the light of day . . . and then scurried back into darkness! There was a very limited print run being sold at the GenCon 2000, which I attended and will forever regret not purchasing!!!
    1. Matt S1's Avatar
      Matt S1 -
      The big question. Does this license allow them to reprint the classic Dune game from the 80s?
    1. TrippyHippy's Avatar
      TrippyHippy -
      Quote Originally Posted by LuisCarlos17f View Post
      Dune is other example of a sci-fi setting getting old.
      It really isn’t and I think we should reserve judgement on how much of an impact Dune makes on younger generations till the games and movies get released. The allegories involved are just as relevant today, if not more so.

      ”Dune" has some interesting ideas for a RPG but we should break the canon to create a mash-up+reboot.
      People have been doing this for years, but it’s still not Dune.

      Regarding the system, it’s not so much the engine used that is the issue for me, but whether they cater for certain aspects of the novels. For example, some sort of social combat would be ideal for this game.
    Comments Leave Comment